Securing a motorcycle left outside?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Colorad0, Aug 28, 2019.

1. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Fixed it for ya. :dunno
    Just kiddin. You might be right.
  2. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    What’s wrong with securing your shit @Snowbird? Most of the time I’ve got a crappy $2.5k scooter on the back of my Moho, but I still take precautions and I’m proud to admit I’m anal about security. Why? Coz it’s my fucking shit that’s why. Ever dealt with the bullshit after you’ve had something swiped? That warm fuzzy “I’m insured” feeling disappears faster than fried chicken at an all you can eat buffet. My shit is old, worn, tatty, and not exactly desirable but I know it backwards and inside out, I worked hard both for it and on it, and the thought of some cunt just striding off with it makes me puke. Worst experience I’ve had was having a boat trailer knocked off while out enjoying a day on the water. Cost me bloody thousands in out of pocket and could’ve been avoided easily enough, make it hard so that the crack heads jog on.
    Rockred, Dtx915 and Colorad0 like this.
  3. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with one of the posters that If they want it bad enough its gone, but most thief is about a quick and clean get out.... with the least amount of exposure and risk

I have done basically the same thing for a decade, in 7 countries ... and haven't lost anything. when i travel i usually wear a stitch one piece, and have hard luggage, and carry 2 3/4in cable locks that have built in (very loud) alarms that are motion activated. If I am going for an explore, one cable lock goes around the back wheel, and one cable lock secures the stich and my helmet, bike cover over the bike .... and I'm in traveler/tourist mode. Overnight, my gear comes with me.
    g

the bike cover cost me 20$, and locks I bought a bike shop 12 years ago... everything you do is worth something. my deal usually takes an extra 5 min's to set up

My 2
    Rockred and Colorad0 like this.
  4. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0323.jpg

Out of sight ...
  5. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Oh, nothing...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety_disorder

I secure my stuff like any person does, but who goes on the internet to ask when a simple search for products would suffice? Who dreams up justifications for that? I often leave my jacket, helmet, tank bag open with the contents exposed, etc. I didn't even lock things up leaving my bike in the downtown area of a major US city while I ate lunch out of sight. I took my bike key, my wallet and phone. When I returned, everything was right where I left it. Not that I'm suggesting you or anyone else does the same. Now, if I were to leave my bike in the same spot day after day, then I'd do something more, but traveling staying in campgrounds? Nope. Throw a faded out cover on it and enjoy!
  6. Colorad0

Colorad0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dafuq? Seriously? If I didn't ask, I probably would have ended up with a $29 Kryptonite disc lock but instead, I took the advice of someone here and bought a $110 ABUS lock.

I already have some heavy duty chain, but bought the schlage noose chain to lock up the 701.

Not to mention I've never heard of motion detecting alarm locks. I've learned a lot from this thread, from many helpful posters.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't use my bikes for transportation, so it's very rare for me to leave it unattended. Always good to hear from other riders as to what works for them.
  7. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I traveled with my bike on a hitch rack I would put several cable locks on it thinking that if it took more time for them they might leave it alone.
    Paul124ac likes this.
  8. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nailed me. I’m OCD as fuck mate. I have a check list on the dash of the Moho that actually is a sad litany of all the shit that’s happened. I’m the fool who walks around the bike trailer twanging tiedowns and checking the hitch is engaged. I’m the annoying twat who starts at his boots and ends at his helmet strap making sure it’s all done up. I’d love to be the carefree type but fact is I’m not and it’s got a lot to do with the crap that’s been foisted on me by the ne’er-do-wells. Try riding 400 kms back home helmetless because you thought it was cool to hang your lid on the mirror. The list is endless, I lock my shit.

Oh yeah, and if I can help a brother out by steering him away from those crap combination cable locks then all the better. Even the Romans knew the benefits of a forum.
    Rockred likes this.
  9. CatCow

CatCow Crazy Trucker Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    You COULD just search for a product, but then how do you know which ones are any good? I’d hate to be someone who bought one of these locks expecting it to do something besides look pretty...
    Colorad0 likes this.
  10. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had a rash of robberies in the DC area about 16 years ago. Large cargo van, three big guys. Simply pick the bike up and into the van. Gone in 10 seconds. They could take their time with the locks later.
  12. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Kryptonite NEW YORK FAHGETTABOUDIT CHAIN 1415
  13. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    claymore!
    Dtx915 likes this.
  14. molochnik

molochnik Anhedonic Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I can appreciate having a nice bike that one is emotionally attached to. However, I've found I'm most comfortable with a "non sexy" bike that I may or may not be emotionally attached to. To wit, I had a brown 81 GS850G - I could park it anywhere and expect it to be there in the morning. I just finished a trans am ride on my DR and depending where I was I would do anything from simply engaging the steering lock to doing that plus using a cable through the from wheel to the frame. I'd often put the bike in 4th gear too. This was only in an area that a DR 650 might be inherently desirable or if I was in the boonies and hiking out would be too tough. Often times it just didn't appear to be a bike I'd imagine someone would want to bother stealing.
    I've liked a lot of posts on this thread as they expressed good ideas and/or ones I've used in the past. I typically try not to involve anyone in my security efforts (too bad for the poster who had the desk clerk participate in the theft of his bikes). Make it as much of a PITA as you can and try to not worry. Easier said than done, but like many have said, there are some fairly adroit and organized bike thieves out there.
    Camping in the California high desert with its high tweaker population, I usually just chain the bikes together and to the camper with the largest link-diameter chain I could find. Again, let another bike appear to be the easier mark.