Security for trip - How do you secure your bike - Perception vs Reality

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Vagabond2018-GS, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Vagabond2018-GS

Vagabond2018-GS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I am leaving this summer for my around the world trip on my DR650 I built.

I have locking cases and top case, locking metal core strap for my soft bag on the bike, etc.

My main question is do I really need to carry a big bike chain and locking disc mechanism? I see that getting very old and pain every time I want to stop and take pictures or go explore something. I guess my thought process is, if someone REALLY wants the bike, they will take it or am I wrong?

I thought just throwing a bike cover over it and keeping it in a more secure area whenever I can.

Thoughts? I am trying to put my planning thoughts to rest on the level of security I am really going to need.
  2. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    Load up on insurance & go enjoy the ride(s).
    riderjacob, jbkrab and sieg like this.
  3. Vagabond2018-GS

Oddometer:
    Well, liability doesn't cover theft, full coverage as far as I know internationally it is stupid expensive.

You said don't worry about it, it will be what it is and just go do it? That is my mentality, just making sure I am not being reckless. I don't see all the extra precautions really being worth it if someone really wants my bike.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  4. CA-Cincinnatus

Oddometer:
    Just as long as you know that there's a difference between "reckless" & "wreckless". Being reckless is a sure way to not be wreckless. :D
    Vagabond2018-GS likes this.
  5. Vagabond2018-GS

Oddometer:
    Man, I must be tired, funny typo (Fixed btw :lol3)
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  6. CA-Cincinnatus

Oddometer:
    There's only so much you can do. Similarly, the most secure computer in the world is encased in cement at the bottom of the ocean, safe from hackers, script-kiddies, ransomware, etc. It's just not very useful to the owner.

How much of your valuable time (assuming that your time IS valuable) do you want to spend futzing with all the security measures? Are you going with other people? Will they be going through the same activities? If y'all are going to be chaining up your bikes, get one big chain and chain all the bikes up together.

If not, then c'est la vie, mon ami, live la vie dansante -
    Repoman87 and Vagabond2018-GS like this.
  7. Vagabond2018-GS

Oddometer:

I agree I don't really want to mess with it that much, I am going alone btw not with a group.

I am looking for a general consensus from people who have done extensive traveling too and get their perception of what it's practical and not for their needs to help me make my security determination more accurate for planning.
  8. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually carry a steel cable lock and try to secure it to a fixed object like post or fence when leaving it, I also use a light weight bike cover if I have to leave it on the street but try to park it within the grounds of my accommodation whenever possible.
    By RTW I presume you mean across several continents? The risk of the bike itself being stolen is quite slim in many developing countries as a local being seen on one would attract a lot of attention from the law and if the DR650 is not sold there it is of little use for spares, petty theft from luggage is the greater danger.

Outside of North America and Europe you are unlikely to find anything other than third party insurance and apart from medical and personal possessions you will probably not get insurance coverage from home.
    Don T and Vagabond2018-GS like this.
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Out touring, I carry a 20' coated cable with 2 padlocks. I really only use it at sketchy motels and just so I can sleep a little better. It would just slow a theif down a little, or be a visual deterrent. I coil it up and it's strapped to my large dry bag.

20191124_130125.jpg
  10. horizonhunt

horizonhunt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think thats the point, if someone is really determined to get your bike or luggage he will do so. What you want is securing your luggage and bike against thieves just using a good opportunity. So i would go with a simple cable lock as well, either through the rim or around a solid object if available. Also works well for your helmet and jacket, so you dont have to carry them all the time.
    Don T, Vagabond2018-GS and Amphib like this.
  11. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Definitely. I carry 2 padlocks because I might not be close enough to a post or tree so I can lock the cable to itself around the rim or frame and the same around the post. If nothing, I'll single lock it through the rims. My sil talks about the bikes that get stolen in Miami. 3 guys hop out of a box truck and carry it away.

I don't worry too much. I hear stories, some in Europe how sophisticated theives are with modern technology... Cordless tools, co2 powered die grinders. I'm more mitigating against some local meth head.
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    site:advrider.com bike security

Copy and paste the above into a Google search box. It'll return a lot of threads on ADV where this topic has been discussed.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  13. Vagabond2018-GS

Oddometer:
    Yes, I meant around the world, good point on the third world countries.

I do have personal theft insurance on all my documentation equipment for accident damage and theft, so really only the bike is at risk for complete loss. I agree with the steel cable and lightweight bike cover.

I think I will end up carrying a disc lock, cover, and steel cable. Someone made a tip that I should make the bike cover look "ratty and worn".

I don't want to overstress this as others have said to me before, that takes away from the journey. I built this bike so it has more meaning to me, but thus this is part of the adventure I am embarking upon. I think the best deterrent is being aware of your surroundings and being careful where you leave the bike, perception is reality and its about opportunity.
  14. Vagabond2018-GS

Oddometer:
    What kinds of cable is that, that you use?
  15. Amphib

Oddometer:
  16. bigblueboy

bigblueboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    188CD62C-ECA3-454C-9171-A8C7BF2BA71C.jpeg Rode the TAT pretty much solo
    And I also used a cable and lock. I felt a little better at night that someone couldn’t just push it away.
    Cable through wheels and frame then around pole or bench right out front of the hotel where it can be seen. Even pushed the bike into the room if on the first floor room.
    Don T and Vagabond2018-GS like this.
  17. Vagabond2018-GS

Oddometer:
    Yeah that is going to be my approach too. If I can, I will always take the side cases off (Quick detach) or pull the bike in at night optimally. My top back case is quick detach as well.
  18. bigblueboy

bigblueboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R
  19. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The uglier, dirtier and more nasty looking the better. If you ride around in high end riding gear, expensive looking bike and luggage you look like an ATM machine. I've ridden in a lot of countries and have never locked up my bike or gear. I've never had anything stolen. But then my gear is ugly, dirty and smells bad and my bike looks like it's on it's last leg.
  20. Vagabond2018-GS

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I got you, I took a lot of the logos off my gear too, etc.

I am going to buy a cheap motorcycle cover and make it look ratty and cover my bike too.
    jbkrab likes this.