Security for trip - How do you secure your bike - Perception vs Reality

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Vagabond2018-GS, Feb 16, 2020.

1. tadejk

tadejk n00b

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry too much about the bike itself in developing (third world) countries. You should worry more about the bike in the developed world. Read few RTW stories that ended with bike theft once they returned to Europe. As others said, I would worry more about other stuff. It is really shitty if your helmet disappears 1000 kms from nearest store where you can buy another one. I carry cable with the lock, so we can lock both helmets to the bike. I have hard cases, so no problems with that... but I believe a cable with padlock would do for soft luggage. And take it off during the night.

Oh, and I remember one guy that got his Garmin stolen from the bike in Siberian village. They brought it back in few hours. :)
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like the above said where I’ve been hearing more about bike theft is in the big European cities and the UK especially.
  3. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    I remember being in argentina and checking in to a small place. There was a BMW 1200 with 2 big chain locks, 1 on the front wheel and 1 on the back. I thought, man that must suck to carry all that extra stuff.
    I Left tMy key in the ignition, threw a cover over the bike and went in for the night.
    I did take a few more precautions in big cities, but there’s only so much you can do. Park your bike close to your room or tent, cover it.
    It pays to ride a cheap bike.
  4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    134AC47C-191C-45E7-A0FF-FC2DFE366B23.jpeg

:lol3
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  5. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lyndon Poskitt of "Racing to Places" did a review of an anti theft device called, MoniMoto.
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Disk lock, Kryptonite loop through wheel and shocks. Cover. Insurance.
  7. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Last thing you want to do is put a bike cover over your bike. Tells people it is valuable and you are trying to take care of it. They will want to "look behind the curtain". Better to look dirty, cheap, and homeless.

If possible, park next to a shiny clean BMW or Harley.
    bromax and baldman1 like this.
  8. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Definitely disagree here. The first thing you want to do is make your bike as invisible as possible. My bike sitting out on my driveway is visible for a long ways; covered, you don't notice it until you're 30-40 yards off.

Then, someone has to come all the way up to it and mess with it to find out what it is. This raises their risk quite a bit, and they may just pass it by.

.............shu
    Lone Stranger and Jamie Z like this.
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    43 countries by moto now and have used secure parking lots when available and just the fork lock when not.
  10. b4thenite

b4thenite Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never had problems. Park your bike in secure spot, don't go to red light district, don't harass local ladies, don't taunt local bikers.
    Make sure your CC and passport are securely in your possession at all time, I mean AT ALL TIME.
    Make a mental plan to walk away if anything happens.
    Stop worrying too much, enjoy your trip.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  11. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wasting a whole minute before triggering the alarm is WAAAAAY to slow for preventing the theft in the first place with all but the sloppiest thieves. Good luck chasing them around based on a signal that updates every 1 minute at best (every 5 mins by default).
  12. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rattier you’re and the bike look, the less likely you will be stolen from or get shaken down at Customs
  13. djays

djays n00b

Oddometer:
    DR650Pete likes this.
  14. Back2Dirt

Back2Dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I may extend this ‘risk’ conversation a little (if not, please suggest another thread), what do you folks do as a best practice for storing your trailer and tow vehicle for a week or more of BDR riding in North America? I’d like to do the NEBDR soon, but not sure where to leave my car/kendo’s trailer.

Thoughts to date:
    A motel I stayed at before day 1;
    A campground, either a camping spot or a space okayed by the host
    A well patrolled spot like an airport parking lot

what do you do?
  15. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never needed to worry about this, but have seen others have reported having luck chatting with local law enforcement. They sometimes have auxiliary lots that they offer space in for a reasonable cost. Your other ideas have merit. Maybe check if there is anyone on the tent space thread near the start point that might be able to keep an eye on/store your vehicles for you.
    Back2Dirt likes this.
  16. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    what are you telling the thief by your actions? come and get it ,or Im watching you. Most are lazy, want easy pickings. do you sit facing the bike or away, cable the wheel and fork lock even when you are in view?
    Do you look men in the eye as they walk by or watching as do get off the bike?
    It is interesting to talk to the accommodations manager as they say: we have a camera or guard,and I comment: they both sleep at night.
    Some insurance may require a police report, some countries that may take over a year? A little time, making a few delays in the process I believe are worth the effort. Sometimes you dont realize what mess you stepped in until you are there awhile. this is especially important when you are traveling with a precious other.
    stay safe and secure, sleep well, enjoy the ride.
  17. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I usually lock one of the safety chains to the trailer hitch with a paddlock. If the motel is cool with you parking it there, try to back it up against a solid obstical. I have had a local restaurant owner offer to let me park it at his place outside of town. He left the restaurant empty and led out to his place. This was a morning after being woke up in the middle of the night by a couple guys approaching the rig while I was sleeping on the trailer next to the bike. I'm not sure which of us was more surprised when I sat up.....
    Back2Dirt likes this.
  18. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should just ride a KLR. Nobody would steal it or any of the empties out of the milk crate.
    DR650Pete likes this.
  19. riderjacob

riderjacob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do ya'll think that genuine security or visual deterrents are more important? For example, would a huge chain that looks intimidating be more effective than a cable that is stronger but less visually intimidating?
  20. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Probably a mix of both. Having it secured is peace of mind for me, but the visual deterrent is most likely the actual most important part for others.

Everything is a compromise and my cable is not very heavy, winds up into a manageable coil, and is easily strapped. Id go without if it meant dealing with a chain.

I try to keep things practical, easy and not worry too much. Just being smart about where you park can be more important than methods of security used in some cases. There's motels I've passed on because I didn't like the layout or the looks of the clientele.

I've traveled more without something for security than with. I haven't had a problem yet. I do always carry a cable now, buts its mostly so I don't beat myself up if something happened and I wasn't securing the bike in any way....for me as I'm getting older, regret prevention seems to be an emerging motivator. :lol3
    Back2Dirt likes this.