Hey Guys! Long time lurker here, recently made an account and started getting more involved. I'll start with a bit of background and go from there. My girlfriend grew up on the back of airheads, specifically an old R60/6 that her father has owned for 30+ years affectionately known as "Bones". Pic below: Recently she had the opportunity to buy her father's close friend's R60/6 that has been in the family for about as long, and she went for it. With ~60k miles shown on the odometer, we're pretty sure it has rolled over once and has more than 160k miles on it. It was pretty badly neglected and a decent amount of things were 'rigged' (speaker wire for accessories, poor mig welding, etc.). So after getting it together for the first time and throwing some new tires on it, I took it for a spin. Unfortunately there was a pretty bad wobble/shake/shimmy that started at 50mph and got worse with speed so I knew I'd need to take it apart and get the suspension sorted. The rear shocks had no damping and the springs were tired. The front forks had a clunk, stiction and terrible brake dive. My girlfriend was clear, however, that she wants everything in perfect working order but wants to keep the patina. She wants to wear it as a badge of honor and I respect that, so this is a mechanical restoration only, with very light or minimal cosmetic touches. So for her birthday (September 17th), I decided to take the jump and git 'er dun! I even encouraged her dad to dig out 'Bones' (who's been hiding in the garage for the past 10 years) and do the same! So everything we do on one bike, we're doing on the other too. Side note: We don't have a name for her blue /6 yet so... taking suggestions? First step, rear shocks. In with the new! These are the Ikon Black/Black shocks without covers: Then we disassembled the front forks to find a mushy mess of the lower bumpers and some nasty fluid: Egg cartons work great for all the little parts in the forks! I also found that one of the fork's wiper rings were bent in a way that could cause them to get hung up and "stick", maybe causing some of the clunks and stiction in the front end: And time for re-assembly: Next step was to re-grease the steering head bearing... Or so we thought. After getting the races cleaned up we found there were some pretty noticeable grooves worn in the outer races from the tapered rollers and decided it could be a main contributor to the shakes and shimmies so it was worth replacing: Unfortunately I didn't have a line on the special puller from BMW so I made due with a borrowed welder. 3x beads about 1 cm long at 60 degree spacing made quick work of the task: Came right out! Now for the inner race on the steering stem. This required cutting mostly through with a dremel wheel and knocking the race hard with a hammer to crack it. After that it slid right off: And that's where we're at today. I'll update as we continue with more progress. Post suggestions/questions/comments and I'll try to improve my process so you can better enjoy or follow everything. First step: take more pictures. I always forget with greasy hands.