Seeking Big Bend area gpx tracks

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by BigWally, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple snowbirds are planning to trailer our enduros to the area in January ‘19 for at least a week of riding. Haven’t been there before and would greatly appreciate route recommendations and gpx tracks. Lodging recommendations also appreciated.
    We’re 60ish and like intermediate difficulty terrain but enjoy it all.
  2. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic likes this.
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look into Texas 1300 thread. He has tracks there also.
  4. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the park. It's a great place. The only roads you can ride in the park are the ones on the official park map. Also Big Bend is very unforgiving of very small mistakes. Take care and be prepared. A get off on Old Ore Road may mean a day's wait for help or a medevac flight to Odessa or El Paso.
  5. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    You really don't need gps tracks , just follow the roads . There is no off-road travel allowed . They will give you a park map when you go thru the gate . The basin is the place to stay in the park several choices outside the park on the west side just all depends on how much money you want to spend I won't stay at the motor lodge at 118 and 170 , pretty much every other choice is better .
    sieg likes this.
  6. ADVraider

ADVraider Long timer

Oddometer:
    So there are no offroad tracks at all in Big Bend?
  7. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    If you are talking about the National Park, it is a national park and there is no legal riding off of the designated roads. Several of these ARE dirt roads. Just look at a map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...2f2d466!8m2!3d29.2499017!4d-103.2501638?hl=en

Some of the dirt roads are, imo, of moderate technical challenge (Ore Road, River Rds. East and West), one that is very easy (Maverick Rd.), and one that can be difficult (Black Gap Rd.). There is of course a lot of sand and washes to cross on any of these roads so weather can be a factor (though it seldom rains).

If you are looking at more of an off-road singletrack-type adventure, you should probably ride elsewhere.
    ADVraider likes this.
  8. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    The State park is much better for Dual sport riding. The 4 wheel drive roads there are much rougher than the national park roads. There is only a couple hundred yards of Black Gap road that I wouldn't be comfortable taking my Harley down, and that is the roughest road in the national park. Mind the speed limits wherever you are in the parks.
  9. gerrynj

gerrynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the past 2 weeks I've ridden every dirt road (both ways) in the National Park;
    Except for a small section on Black Gap and 2 or 3 places on Old Ore, I'd say that
    all the roads are entertaining but not too challenging on a small DS bike;

The roads in the State park are much more challenging, rougher in places and
    less maintained; I did not find any legal single track (no big deal) the available
    roads are entertaining and the scenery, oh the scenery..........

I'm riding alone, so being more cautious than usual - as some else said, if you go
    down it may be a long time to get help; I pack food and water to last me a day
    or so - just in case.

There are other roads outside the parks which are also worthwhile - use google earth
    to find them.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  10. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you ride a dirt bike in the National park or state park? I’m mostly interested in scenery. My fiancé only had a CRF100F and I’m bringing my 2 stroke. I’ll go other places for challenge, just curious if we can explore on non-plated bikes, I’ve only found ADV/DS info.
  11. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^I think not. Plated vehicles only in National Parks. Also, using BBNP as a base camp for non-plated riding is probably inefficient. It’s a pretty good drive to the state park because AFAIK only the west entrance is open. Plus, I would wager that they require plated vehicles (but not certain).
  12. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep National Parks and anything federal requires a plate. Most if not all State Parks require a plate.
  13. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    We stay at the Big Bend Resort on the weet side of the park.

https://www.bigbendresort.com/

This map was available at the front desk of the resort. It shows the dirt roads in the park. The map that the park service gives you when you enter the park is a good map. You could probably find it on line.

[​IMG]
    Ride reports - https://advrider.com/f/threads/dad-rides-again-this-time-to-big-bend.554339/

Big Bend State Park is a great place to ride. It is a ~30 miles of pavement from the resort to the State Park. The road over there is Texas 170. It is one of the best MC roads in the country. Two things about riding in the park. You have to manage your gas. Closest available gas is a long ways away. Also, there was a park ranger working there the past couple of years who has a zero tolerance policy for speeding motorcycles.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  14. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    Looking to do some time at BB in Feb 2020. What are the temps there at that time of year?
  15. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between 20 and 80 degrees F.
    cyclopathic, flei and scarysharkface like this.
  16. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ or 90's
  17. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've woken up to slushy snow and had it in the 90's later that day along the river. Lots of elevation change between the river and the basin. In Feb, I'd camp at Rio Grande Village or somewhere west of Terlingua along the river.

John
  18. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    im planning on riding out to big bend national park the second week of feb. just going to do the np then find some other mild riding in the area
    any suggestions. will be on a tiger 800 might have a buddy with me also on a tiger 800
    scarysharkface likes this.
  19. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're comfortable in sand and rocks, Old Ore Road is nice, as is River Road.

Old Maverick is fun and utterly big-bike friendly, but you'll need to watch for oncoming traffic in minivan form in a couple of places.

The park sells a guide for the primitive roads that's useful.

They also sell a topo map of the park, which is also useful.

My son and I are heading there the week of Thanksgiving in the van with a KLR650 and WR250R in-tow.

John
    Not Dave likes this.
  20. Not Dave

Not Dave I smell bacon

Oddometer:
    I've only ridden the NP and have been 3 times, all on a DR650. I have a blast! It's technical enough for me, having done all roads including Black Gap once. Visited the Mariscal mine the last time.

I'll also be there this November.

I helped pick up a 1200GSA a few times on River Rd. Once the bike pinned the rider to the ground so I was the only one lifting. He didn't fall after that. It's a heavy bike to ride in sand but can be done by a good rider. The lighter the better. Old Ore is my favorite.

I have a GPS but not much need for one as the roads are clearly seen. It will help you see where you are at least.
    cyclopathic and scarysharkface like this.