Seeking fellow bikers for a fall (september) trip in the alps.

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by sewalf, Jul 28, 2019.

1. sewalf

sewalf n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone! I’m Sebastian, 30 years old, from Stockholm, Sweden. In september I am heading down to the alps for 2-3 weeks on my first longer solo bike trip.

I've already done Andermatt (Gotthard, Furka, Grimsel) by car some years ago so this time I headed for the Dolomites and Austria. Other than that I have no fixed plan. I'm camping and will probably stay a couple of days at different places to explore passes/places around the camping site.

I wanted to see if anyone is also riding in that area that time and wanted to link up or if someone wanted to join along the way. I’m open to suggestion for other areas in Europe as well for the trip if anyone else wants company.
    I am going to leave Stockholm between 1-3 of september.

I’ve been riding for 15 years but never done a longer trip with a fellow biker/bikers except family members.

Currently have a R1200GSA 2008 so I wouldn't be opposed for gravel/offroad.

Ride safe!

IMG_7276.PNG
  2. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, sounds like a good thing to do.
    Since I retired and could choose when I travelled, I avoided the high summer, so shoulder season rides are mostly what I now do. If nothing else, avoids the heat like we have been suffering over the last two summers.

After the autumn equinox, days shorten rapidly and riding time - unless you like night riding in the Alps - is shorter. Not really a problem for me, as I like to finish early and organise a restaurant.
    The other thing that may be inconvenient is that many of the multitude of campsites close after 15th September. Not all, but check your expected destinations.
    Often the large "international" ones are open. The crowds that use them in the summer are mostly gone and you are left with retirees like me, except they will be mostly in caravans and camper vans.

I'm sure you will have a great time. The emptier roads, cooler temperatures and lack of crowds will only improve the experience.
  3. PeteAndersson

PeteAndersson Swede

Oddometer:
    I'll be on my way back north as you are going south so if timing is right we might meet. My plan is the western alps and possibly the RDGA.

I've done a few trips from Stockholm to the alps, both solo and with a passenger, and I think you will have a great time. Weather in the alps can be a bit like the Swedish summer so you'll know what to wear and what to pack.

My best tip is Slovenia, beautiful place with friendly people and many interesting roads.
  4. sewalf

sewalf n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply!

Yes, camping and riding in +35 degrees in not really something I enjoy.. Especially behind 10 feet of plexiglas in the cockpit of an R1200GSA.. :)
    nickguzzi likes this.
  5. sewalf

sewalf n00b

Oddometer:
    Interesting! Any particular tips/places to go in Slovenia? Never been there so I definitely would like to explore it one way or the other.

We'll when the time comes. If we time each other I wouldn't be a stranger to meet up for a beer..!
  6. PeteAndersson

PeteAndersson Swede

Oddometer:
    The western part of Slovenia around Triglavski narodni park is very pretty. I've been the two years in a row now...
    You'll recognize the castle of Bled if you google, it looks even better in real life. The road from Kranjska Gora over Vršič pass to Bovec is twisty and with a great view of the Soča valley. From there you can take the road to Mangart and then in to Italy by Sella Nevea, also twisty and with pretty views. Alternatively you go south from Bovec to Žaga and turn west towards Uccea and cross the border there, the road is as narrow as a bicycle lane and a lot of fun. Bovec is a good place to look for accommodation. Weather can change quickly so have your rain gear easily accessible.
    You'll find a few pics i my ride report linked below..
  7. NSFW

NSFW Death Valley Noobs Rally 2022 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    edited: this is the new date...i will be in the dolomites from sept 14-21.

it will be awesome if we can meet up and ride together for a few days or so.
  8. BristolDSer

BristolDSer Brit riding a KTM 1050 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Hey man, heading from Leipzig in East Germany to the dolomites arriving in Italy around the 7th (subject to change). Was planning on 3 weeks in total from the UK heading west traversing the Alps to France.

Also travelling solo for first time on bike. 35 yr old on CB500X.

Also planning on camping some of the time. See my thread in the root of this subforum
  9. sewalf

sewalf n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi and thanks for answering to the thread!

Didn't see yout reply until now.. Just started a conversation with BristolDSer about meeting up for the trip. From my side you're more than welcome to come along if you want to. I guess me and BristolDSer need to compare plans to be able to give you some idea where and when we'll be in september.

Sebastian