Seeking 'guardian angel' for help on passes, fires etc for solo rider (Fall)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Jul 5, 2020.

1. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    Years ago when I rode solo to Dawson City from San Francisco, a kind soul studied my route and kept an eye out for me knowing where I would be on what day and helped me avoid a route closure (25) in WA that saved me a ton of time (and frustration).

So I'm posting here to find a kind soul that is home a lot and familiar with pass closure and how to spot that as well as forest fire developments and overall weather that can make a routes dangerous.
    I'm doing a lot of high altitude passes and at that time of year things can change dramatically.

I'll be riding from Aug 29th through Sept 12 through OR, ID, MT, WY.
    Here is my trip planning thread, putting together a rough plan over the next few weeks.

My dad helps a lot but I remember once he directed me right into a thunderstorm and insisted the weather map had nothing indicating it was there (it was massive with lightening going off constantly).

True story: The 25 closure. I ran into adventure riders at Mt Rainier and told them it was closed when they said they were headed that way. They ignored me and went anyway and two days later I ran into them at the ferry to Victoria island where one sheepishly admitted they just didn't think I knew what I was talking about. One of them did say to the group "guys, she has a gps, maps, satellite tracker and a guardian angel, we should listen to her". :)
  2. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    I wish you all the best SA Nanc. Sadly this year you'll need an angel with more than a route sheet and a computer. Stay safe.
  3. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sept is a great time to ride(my favorite month) out west. I can't help you on a logistics manager since I will be riding west out of TN during that time. Buzzards right, lots of "unknowns" right now and I hope to hell things settle down by then.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
  6. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
  7. MTvtwin

MTvtwin noob rymes with boob hehe

Oddometer:
    Can certainly assist though Montana and Wyoming. Living in the western side, working on the eastern side. If you need help let me know, and if you come thru and need a rest we are in the ruby valley close to virginia city. PM me and we will follow.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  8. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm wanting to avoid this with help on 'snow in passes' alerts. :)

This is July in Switzerland. Fortunately I had a calm voice in my helmet keeping me from losing my shit. Wearing summer vented gear BTW.

[​IMG]
  9. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Just like Switzerland, summer thunderstorms all over the Rockies can produce a bit of hail and at times several inches of snow, but neither is enough to close passes. You really shouldn’t have much to worry about during the time frame you’ve suggested.
  10. MTvtwin

MTvtwin noob rymes with boob hehe

Oddometer:
    That looks chilly, agree Strong bad that you shouldnt have that however.... stranger things have happened. Ive seen it snow at all times of the year. Bring layers :) My Wife and I ride gs twins so let us know when you get closer into planning and take off.
  11. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because Uncle Sam offered the opportunity for frostbite, frostnip, and heat exhaustion (as well as Fun, Travel, and Adventure), I took the job. Now that I've got what I went looking for, I find that these hand warmers are excellent to keep a body warm - https://www.amazon.com/hand-warmer-packets/s?k=hand+warmer+packets.

Have a great trip, be well, safe, and unhampered by the weather(s)!
  12. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Good to know...
  13. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will. I have heated gear which does go a long way to help. I also have traction control on this bike.