Seeking riders for San Francisco to Alaska this summer.

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
  2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 The Whitehorse way is paved. If you are lugging them up just wait until you get to Dick's or get them mounted in Whitehorse.
  3. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonder if it is the same Honda dealer from 1995? I had a flat in Watson Lake on my PD (AM 24 Grippster,) plugged it and made it to Whitehorse. Knowing that several Honda dirt bikes ran 17" back then, I went to the Honda shop. He found an identical AM24 on the rack with a sold sign but called his tire man (who was home with flu) and decided they could order another for the local customer. Tire guy came in from home and mounted the tire for us (this was on a Saturday PM and they stayed open past closing time). Cost with conversion was just a little more than I would have paid in US. That tire went on to Inuvik and back to Phoenix with no further problems. Just saying, maybe a different owner when you had your issue.
  4. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    Not sure Russ. The only Honda joint in town is now a car, motorcycle, generator supercenter. I had heard good things about guys getting helped out by Honda before my trip before I left, so I went there. I have since then heard bad things about them. I think it's hit and miss with a lot of these places. I know of a lot of dudes going to the Yamahammer place and them letting guys use tools and really going the extra mile.
  5. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    I should have explained my route. Not going anywhere near whitehorse.
    I am arriving by ferry in Haines then heading straight to anchorage so I can visit Homer and Seward then I'll head up to D2D via Tok.

Coming back the Denali to Mt McKinley.

I just feel "better" on TKC's when it's not paved no matter how good the road.

I can either strap them to the bike or ship them in advance (prefer) which is why I want to find a place to swap them after I get off the ferry.
    I could just go to the triumph dealer in Anchorage too.

Thanks really appreciate all the assistance advice.
  6. NorthernBoxer

NorthernBoxer Fükengrüven

Oddometer:

Alaska Leather in Anchorage does tires as well. You can even buy the TKC's there and have them mounted after you get back from Seward/Homer.

TKCs are not overkill for the Top of the World and if you do the poker run at D2D, you will be glad you have them all the more. I'll definitely be running mine.
  7. NorthernBoxer

NorthernBoxer Fükengrüven

Oddometer:
    Some awesome side roads/trails off of the Top of The World highway... :deal

[​IMG]
  8. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    There is a Suzuki dealer in TOK if you make arrangements ahead of time who offers great service. He can change your tires. He serviced my GSA while it was pouring outside. Could have done it myself but I just wanted an excuse to dry out. Nice wood stove in the shop to get warm by after getting rained on all day. I ran Heidenau's over the Top of the World in the rain and they were OK. Nice hostel and campground in TOK too. Watch the weather and check the road reports, last year some of them were washed out quite late in the year. Port Hardy has an excellent B&B called Fran's if you need a place. I did the same trip in early July in almost the reverse direction. Highlights were, Hyder/Stewart, Cassiar, The Dempster, Top of the World, Dawson and the rain.
    If you are going to be testing your gear and doing conditioning rides, make sure you do some in the rain. BTW pin lock visors are awesome.
    Have fun, if you were going later I would tag along for kicks and giggles.

You might enjoy this RR by a young lady who went last year. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831213
  9. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    My BMW winter gear is amazing (it better be for $1500), not worried about the rain with it. As for rides in the rain, I did nearly 3 weeks of cold rain in Europe last summer so I'm vaccinated against it.

Won't stay in Port Hardy overnight but good to know if I end up missing my ferry!
  10. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Thanks appreciate the feedback.

I'm not letting anything talk me out of running them, I have both sets and swap them anyway depending on the terrain.
  11. Deliverator

Deliverator not a replicant

Oddometer:
    Hi,

A buddy of mine and I are going to be riding north from San Francisco as far as Washington and perhaps Canada but leaving San Francisco later than you are planning. He's riding out from the East and I don't expect him to get here before June 10. He also is not sold on camping.

I'm a NOOB and was planning on some tune up trips before then myself, so perhaps I can join you on some of what you have planned. I'm still putting gear together for the trip, and could benefit from your touring experience. But I have done a lot of camping.

I was hoping to head up into the high country next month, it's been pretty dry and hopefully Forest Service roads or the like will be open. What were your plans?
  12. plumbstraight

plumbstraight plumbstraight

Oddometer:
    I noticed you were worried about the bears. Yes, I have seen a lot of blacks and some grizzlys. I would fear more the moose. Keep your eyes out for them. They ruin and kill more motorists than any other animal up here. I would be sure not to ride tired.
    I am sure you have looked at a good map of alaska, but I wonder about going to Anchorage from Haines, the back to Tok and to the Denali. I haven't read all your pieces, but are you going to catch a ferry out of alaska home, or ride a ways back. I have a place in Palmer up on lazy mountain. Hope to get up there this summer myself. I have a goldwing so will be using the paved all the way from here in Washington to Anchorage. Two years ago I made the run by myself in 54hrs. I do not reccommend that. At least the bears were still in hibernation. Mostly saw a lot of caribou. I guess the main thing is to be aware, any animal up there will ruin your trip if you hit one. Beware of a cow moose if she has a calf with her. If you are standing and she lays her ears back when you are taking pics or whatever, she is about to run over you. Is there way of protecting their calves. They run over you and tromp you into the ground. Just be aware is all I am trying to say. Enjoy the ride, it is beautiful country. Also take a mosquito net to pull over your head when stopping for a break or fixing a meal. They have them pretty well taken care of around towns and such, but in the wild they can be terrible. Just remember, when you leave town, you are on the menu.
  13. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Yeah looking like I'm going solo North around the 5/6th June but will do many many training long distance rides over 1-3 day increments all of May

Solvang
    Yosemite
    Lassen
    Fortuna
    Big Sur

Are some of my destinations

I would love to help you understand the things that one needs for long touring rides. I would say forgetting even one thing can be an issue and of course, can't be found at the local Walmart. You are welcome to PM with any specific questions but I've made my packing list for Alaska and would be happy to share it to help you get started.
    Having the right gear and accessories make all the difference.
  14. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Really appreciate this info. I ride much slower and certainly more cautious on blind turns than more riders. This just affirms my riding style. Its different than taking a 3 hour ride near home!
  15. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Now it looks like I've got a whole day to kill in Prince Rupert so going to do the tire change there if it's possible
  16. Kul Mom

Kul Mom aka sKul Marm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nancy-
    My advise is to eat at the Crest and visit the museum next door. The museum is the Museum of Northern British Columbia (I think).
    -KM
  17. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I'd wait to do the tire change until you're off the boat and stopped in Haines, if not later. When's the next time you're going to be in Prince Rupert BC? Take the time to enjoy the day instead of wrenching. Or just run a set of Heidenau K60's and not worry about tires for the whole trip. One of the best parts of my ride to Alaska last spring was the time spent relaxing on the ferry, especially after three weeks in the saddle.
  18. plumbstraight

plumbstraight plumbstraight

Oddometer:
    One more thing, well maybe a few. I don't know if you pack a firearm, but you cannot go into canada with a pistol. Take as many rifles as you want, just no pistols.
    I had to check with the route. Have been to Haines junction from the north coming in on the Alcan. You might think of going to denali from Tok. You will on the highway to Anchorage when you see the great one. Then it is about a 4hr trip down to Anchorage. When you leave Anchorage and start your trip down to Homer, take the time to stop by turnagain arm. It is an hour long trip beside it and you might see sheep on the left side on the mountains, sometimes they are right down on the roadside. When the tide changes there at turnagain arm the incoming tide creates a bore tide where there is a single wave that sometimes surfers try to ride. The tides in Alaska rise and fall 30ft in 6hours so as neat as the beach looks DO NOT GO OUT ON THE SAND. It can be soft and folks get stuck out there and drown every year. some have been pulled apart by helicopter rescue. This is a real thing, just do not go out there.
    Turnagain arm has some really neat views. Just after leaving Anchorage a ways there is a place called baluga point. I have seen many many baluga whales there when the salmon are running. When you near the end of the arm there is an animal farm. Bears that I have fed peanut butter to and elk that I have fed apples. Just be sure to toss the peanut butter to the grizz, he might like what holds the butter. You can feed the big bulls by hand. They have all the critters there. Also there is a small museum at the head of the arm. You can see stuffed animals and live iceworms there. They are about an inch long and actually live on glaciers. They survive on pollen, amazing. Be careful as you go down the peninsula, will be hundreds of tourists fishing the rivers and will walk right out from behind parked cars. I stopped by and a couple of kids were fishing and releasing. I asked one if he would catch one for me, he did and I had it for supper. I know a pretty gal would have no problem with that lol.Nothing like a fresh salmon cooked on an alder fire.
    will keep tabs on this trip, might join you. I do have a couple of other runs this year, one to Ft Hood Texas to a military reunion and one to SC. Bringing a new one into the family and visiting the ones already here.
  19. RichAK

RichAK nOOd

Oddometer:
    The ride along Turnagain can be quite nice. It's my daily ride so I am a little biased. Consider taking the Hope Cutoff 22 miles into Hope. It follows the south side of Turnagain to Hope, an old mining town dating back to the 1890's. You can also go a few miles up into the northern Kenai Mtns on Palmer Creek Road out of Hope.

The area around Kenai Lake is very scenic. The drive into Seward is great. Heading the other way on the Sterling Hwy to Soldotna, you may want to check out the Skilak Loop that follows along Skilak Lake. It only adds a few miles and gives you a decent chance to spot some wildlife. I've seen moose, bears, and lynx through there.

In Kenai, there is an old Russian Orthodox Church that is worth checking out if that's interesting to you. You can also access the beach on Cook Inlet from that area, although its been some time since I have done that and things may have changed since then.

Someone did drown in the mudflats, a couple of decades ago.
  20. KUDABESI

KUDABESI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll ride there from Vancouver this May, will update information as soon as I on the trip...:thumb