Seeking riders for San Francisco to Alaska this summer.

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    Pasting from my trip plan on page 6
    June 11 - Ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines
    June 12 - Arrive Haines late 11:30pm
    June 13 - Haines to Tok
    June 14 - Tok to Anchorage (AKDuc offered a couch!)
    June 15 - Anchorage to Seward
    June 16 - Seward to Homer
    June 17 - Homer Cruise, back to Anchorage (back to AKDuc)
    June 18 - Anchorage - Tok
    June 19 - Tok to Dawson
    June 20 - Dawson (sharing a hotel with McRuss)
    June 21- Dawson (recovering from too much scotch)

So....I would arrive in Prince Rupert June 9th.
    Ride from there to make Anchorage by the 14th.
    Don't really care what my route is but wouldn't mind a stop over in Skagway because I have a friend there.
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    You know most of us aren't leaving Anch till Wed the 19th, right? Fun hanging out in Tok with a bunch of us around a nice campfire, or 2, at Eagle's Claw mc campground. IMO almost as much fun as Dawson. :D

Also, didn't know there was a boat tour out of Homer. You going fishing there? I really like the all day tour on http://www.majormarine.com/webcam/ out of Seward.

Have fun, Mark H.
  3. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    Joking aside, she's asking a real question here... She and I are planning to ride part of the trip together and we are looking to ride the ferry from Port Hardy BC to Prince Rupert BC. Then, ride from Prince Rupert to Whitehorse, YK, then north to Tok, AK and the rest of the trip. Nancy has some concerns with the high level passes in that part of BC and the Yukon. Her concerns are snowy and/or icy roads in early June.

Any information?
  4. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not that it is impossible, but not likely. That doesn't need to be on the worry list. Rain? count on it.
    I haven't seen falling snow in the multiple times I've driven the alcan in early June, or late May for that matter. or july or august or september... did see snow in early October once but not until north of Whitehorse. High level passes? where?
  5. macadamia

Oddometer:
    Those were her words, I am in the process of investigating the elevation of the route... As far as I can tell, the June time frame west of the Canadian Rockies is very doable... I'd like to stay dry, but that's a pipe dream I realize... :lol3
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last year on the stretch between Whitehorse and Haines Junction in early June it was 36 degrees and hard rain. Two weeks later on the same stretch it was sunny and 88 degrees.

We've ridden the roads between AK and the lower 48 4-5 times in early June. We've always had some days of cold rain and sometimes flurries.
  7. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That's a helpful answer.
    I've decided to just take the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert ferry and decide then, based on weather, my experience on the ferry and my fatigue level whether to take the next leg or ride.
  8. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She and I will be 'dropping down' to Haines on the way back from D2D to catch the fairy to PR. We have reservations at Bear Creek Cabins the night of June 26; where's a good place for food?
  9. Farmholio

Farmholio Smarmy Marmot

Oddometer:
    Most stuff around town is hit or miss but the Fireweed located in the Fort Seward part of town is usually a decent bet, sort of continental fare. Also on the edge of the Fort off of Portage I think is a Mexican place called Moseys. The Klondike Pizza is also decent, its at the fair grounds as is the local beer guy. I think your accommodations are out Lutak road down past the Ferry. Everything I've mentioned is going to be fairly close to the main part of town around the Harbor. There's a few others to mention but they're pretty lackluster. For breakfast, I think you're only options would be the Bamboo room in town or the Chilkat bakery out on 5th or 6th. If you just are after coffee and muffins Mountain Market would work as would Sara J's up out in the fort.
  10. macadamia

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'll be heading thru the area with Nancy on the way up.
  11. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    And food is very important!

So looks like I'm riding solo to Seattle and solo coming back from Whistler.

C'est la vie but I am jazzed I have riding partners in AK!
  12. Farmholio

Farmholio Smarmy Marmot

Oddometer:
    No worries, I'll keep an eye out for you if I don't head out early.

Going north, keep in mind that the border crossing doesn't open until 8 AM and that they're on BC time which is an hour ahead from us. Probably won't be a problem especially since its about an hour to the border from Haines but I thought I'd mention it just in case there's an early riser out there. I'd also recommend the 33 mile road house food wise. Its 7 miles from the crossing and open pretty much all the time.
  13. macadamia

Oddometer:
    Guilt trip bags packs and ready to go! :lol3
  14. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Friend just sent me this.

http://www.kroschelfilms.com/

And I had my dates ahead one day, thanks Mark for pointing that out.

June 1 - Bay Area to Lassen, Manzanita lake camp
    June 2 - Lassen - Crater Lake OR - Eugene
    June 3 - Eugene - Portland
    June 4 - Portland - Seattle
    June 5 - Seattle
    June 6 - Seattle
    June 7 - Ferry from Anacortes to Sydney Victoria overnight with yatman
    June 8 - Victoria to Port Hardy
    June 9 - Ferry from Pt Hardy - Prince Rupert
    June 10 - lollygag in Prince Rupert (ferry only the 11)
    June 11 - Ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines
    June 12 - Arrive Haines late 11:30pm
    June 13 - Ferry to Skagway for wpyr white pass summer excursion
    June 14- Haines to Tok
    June 15 - Tok to Anchorage (AKDuc offered a couch!)
    June 16 - Anchorage to Cooper Landing then Seward
    June 17 - Seward cruise.
    June 17 - Seward - Homer
    June 18 - Homer - Anchorage
    June 19 - Anchorage to Tok
    June 20 - Tok to Dawson (sharing a hotel with McRuss)
    June 21- Dawson (recovering from too much scotch)
    June 22 - Dawson to Tok
    June 23 - Denali hwy to Mt McKinley
    June 24 - Bus through Denali to MtMcKinley-Anchorage
    June 25 - Anchorage or skip Anchorage and go solo to meet up with McRuss in Tok
    June 26 - Tok to Haines
    June 27 - ferry from Haines
    June 28 - arrive in Prince Rupert
    June 29 - Prince Rupert - Prince George
    June 30 - Prince George - Whistler
    July 1 - Whistler - Seattle
    July 2 - Seattle - Portland
    July 3 - Portland - Ashland
    July 4 - HOME!
  15. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip !!
    Have a blast.
    Be prepare for any unusual weather .
  16. highplains drifter

highplains drifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings SpecialAgent Nancy.
    I have been reading your posts on your upcoming ride to Alaska and it looks like you have a great trip planned. It is nice to see a women with your spirit of adventure living life to its fullest. I did a simiiar trip as yours in 1980 and have been back to Alaska many times since than on various adventures. Alaska is a special place and I must warn you that you will want to go back and visit places you missed on this trip. You have received some great advice from fellow inmates in the ADV riding community and looks like you have hooked up with some great riding partners. Do not worry about the bears as they really do not want anything to do with us humans. I will be in the Northern California area myself on a motorcycle trip although heading south along the coast in early June. June first I will be doing a rafting trip on the Trinity River near Mount Lassen and if I get the time I will swing by Manzanita Lake and say Hello. Have a fun and safe trip and always keep alert!! Paul The highplains drifter
  17. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Hello Paul

Very nice to read your post. Yes, it's all coming together rather nicely.
    I would love a visit at Manzanita lake as I will be solo and there is room for 3 tents and 4 bikes, feel free to join me. They have hot showers, washing machines, a pretty decent store and Lassen is just spectacular.

I am already aware that all of the side dirt roads will sing to me as I blaze by. Andy got me the Adventurous Motorcyclist's guide to Alaska by Klancher and Freeman and so I'm just about frothing at the mouth with ideas for another trip up there next summer.

I am hearing that it's still snowing up there so I'm glad I've coughed up the moolah for heated gear and things like a laminar lip. I'm getting pretty jazzed! My last training ride is SF - Yosemite - Mammoth Lakes - Vegas - SF on Monday through Wednesday. After that rest then take off June 1.
  18. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Awesome, that's what we like to hear! :D Usually we don't hear/read it till after someone's been here.

See you soon, Mark H.
  19. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How true. This will be my third and probably last (age is catching up too quickly) trip to AK, each time going deeper and seeing more. I rode the Dempster in 1994 and have no desire to make it to Deadhorse so this time I'll ride the Denali and visit Anchorage for a new tire. I also need to ride the last few miles from Tok to Delta Junction to finish the entire length of the 'official' Alcan Highway. And I'm looking forward to sharing the ride with Nancy, should be a adventure in its own right (I usually either travel alone or with one special riding buddy.)
  20. highplains drifter

highplains drifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I here you on that age thing. I just turned 60 and although I have been riding for 40 some odd years I am slowing down. I rode the Dempster on my second trip to Alaska in 81 on a Honda Goldwing. Now that was a ride!! My buddy called it the Dumpster it was so rough. It has been 30 some years since I rode to Alaska via motorcycle but am thinking of doing it again in 2015 because i hear the Dalton highway calling me