Seeking riders for San Francisco to Alaska this summer.

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trust me, do it while you can! I'll be 70 next year and the old bones tell me this is my last long ride on a MC, at least one where I'll be camping. I also don't know why I waited 19 years to go back; almost waited too long!

PS, will be passing through Denver on my way, Colorado (Durango) is my birth place and I have daughter and grand-kids in Denver.
  2. highplains drifter

highplains drifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What day will you be passing through Denver? I am leaving for northern California on May 28. If you are staying in Denver with your Daughter maybe we could hook up and have a beer. I would enjoy meeting you and swapping some tall tales of life on the road
  3. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    yeah, been watching the weather is all my stops....geeze hope it warms up in 3 weeks a bit.
  4. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

GREAT trip indeed [​IMG]
  5. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry I jacked the thread a bit there with HPD but back to AK....I'm hoping for cool weather for the first week of my ride as I have to cross West Texas, Eastern Colorado and most of Wyoming where heat can be a serious issue. So bring some of your cool with you and I'll pack some warm...we can share at appropriate times/places!
  6. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:

Sun's out today and supposed to break 60 to 70 this week in Fairbanks (finally) but you are most welcome to bring all the warm you can pack. Keep a little spare warm 'cause even when its hot (80's) in Fairbanks it can be cool in the passes (Thompson Pass into Valdez, Eureka Pass on the Glenn hwy, and Isabel Pass north of Paxon.) If anyone needs any assistance in Fairbanks be sure to shout out.
  7. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm filling my tires with warm Texas air, will trade it for some cool Anchorage air when I get my new tire. Then when I get home, will sit in front of the tire (could be 100+ by July 4) and let the cool air out! Sounds logical..........
  8. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    so i turn back to ADV for help

i need someone else and i need to find them by this saturday or i cancel

please reach out to anyone you know
    i need someone to share the haines to anchorage section
    and explore the kenai peninsula if possible

if i cant find someone, i have to begin cancelling ferries and hostels
    i have put so much into this to have it fall apart now is past disappointing

before you post that i should/could go solo
    this is a choice. I'd rather not ride solo. I've done it plenty of time and just don't enjoy myself as much.
    Please see my RR and you'll understand after reading about my odyssey last year.
    HELP ADV
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

I wouldn't get to pick.

There are several women that have made the trip you're considering and more and if your bike's ready there's no reason to be scared. We're not all baby rapers and father stabbers here and it's not like you need to be concerned about anything in particular.

Confidence, Nancy. You'll find some en route and you'll be a different person when the trip's over. Don't let the tweaked plans of someone else ruin your trip. Go.

Multiple women have ridden up from the E Coast to the West, through Canada en route to somewhere else. They aren't mechanics or whatever other facet you might have picked up from a riding partner. They're just a hair more self reliant and have learned to be so. You can too.

It was actually a local woman rider that helped me see that I could take off and go far further outside my little world than I might have thought. On a lonely desert road somewhere in remote Argentina I had parked in the middle of the road and saw a faint dust trail way off in the distance. 15 minutes later she pulled up next to me , stopped for a couple minutes and zoooof! ...she was gone again. She lives here in Anchorage and we all think she's the coolest.

Turn the page or not; the book gets better.

And it's your book.

(edit: if you try it and decide it's too much you can always say at damn near any point that you're done. Ship your crap home and fly out. NBD).
  10. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Sucks, sorry to hear but good things could still come together. :thumb

A couple possible riders with the same time frame are on pg 3, #38, on this thread.You may want to post up on there too.

Oh and Mike, don't go too hard on her. It's not all security or paranoia as she's travelled enough to know that she just doesn't enjoy solo traveling all that much. I've talked with her a fair amount about it too telling here that she'd run into a number of other riders on our only road in and out of this place. :D

Keep me posted. Good luck, MH
  11. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Legion but I can understand your hesitancy to take off alone. Hey, even guys can be nervouse about setting off on a 3000 (or more) mile trip alone. My first long solo trip was to AK and I had a battery fail at the end of the first day along with coming down with a cold. I was sick and tired, wondered what I was doing. But I 'soldiered on' and it turned out to be the best motorcyle trip I've ever taken, and my first to AK.

I know you have traveled in places that would scare me, even with company, and I think youi have it in you to do this little trip. Heck, just cut across NV and ID and meet me in Great Falls. It's only 1200 miles from SF to GF, two easy days. AND you'll get to hold my hand (figureatively) when I tackle the Campbell (yes, I have some reservations about riding it alone!):eek1

Russ

PS, did you cross post to Trip Planning? Might be someone over there if you must have company.
  12. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nancy,

Going solo is a decision only you can make. In my time in Fairbanks I saw more then a handful of solo female riders, including a 17 year old girl from San Diego on a 250cc. I've never heard of any rider becoming a victim of crime; could be it has happened, but I never heard about it. Make sure you can fix a flat and do routine maintenance checks on your bike such as oil and chain if you have one (but I imagine you can already do so). Hell, I get nervous when my wife rides to town by herself, so I don't think there is any shame if you elect not to go solo. There is a good chance you can link-up with another rider(s) enroute and/or find a riding partner on the forum, so don't throw in the towel yet. And once you are at D2D there is a better then 50:50 chance you'll find a partner.

The Unit (Annie) and I are leaving 14 June from Montana and heading up the ALCAN if you want to change your plans.

Hey, aren't Special Agents trained to kill with just a twitch of a finger?
  13. timbercat

timbercat Texas Cruiser

Oddometer:
  14. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    thanks Mark I know you get it.
  15. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's helpful. I PM her
  16. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:

YES. I have travelled over 20 foreign countries on motorcycle including places like Turkey and Armenia. So this is NOT about fear, I don't like travelling solo period.

So guys please just withhold the well-intending "you can do it" stuff.
    I asked for helping finding someone, not help in mustering up courage. I've got plenty of that already.
  17. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite. I'm mulling Russ suggestion.

This SpecialAgent is a master at finding good food.
  18. highplains drifter

highplains drifter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck Nancy. Hope you do not have to cancel. Sharing your ride is always the safer way to go and when the riding is done at the end of the day it is always nice talk about the days adventure
  19. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    The show must go on !!

Make the trip. You'll meet plentyfull riders .
  20. SpecialAgentNancy

Oddometer:
    That's exactly it! I love just sharing the experience. I do plenty of solo riding these days (just rode from SF to Vegas through Death Valley a couple of days ago) and it's just not as fun.