Seeking Sturgis recomendations

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rubber Dutchman, Jun 24, 2019.

1. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stay in Deadwood instead. Better parking, better atmosphere and easier to access roads/ less bumper to number traffic.
  2. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode through Deadwood and it looked like a really cool place.
  3. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in the early 80’s Deadwood was not a friendly place for motorcyclists..there was a push from the local businesses and law enforcement of a ban to park on the streets of Deadwood.. Parking at that time was only at a designated parking area away from downtown.. It wasn’t fun back then.. :(
    severely likes this.
  4. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I know where all the sheep are. :evil
    double_entendre likes this.
  5. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Is that such a good thing to admit in public?

6. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of recommendations/ideas/suggestions, I just got this email from the Buffalo Chip about their entertainment lineup for this years Sturgis , Aug 2-11, 2019. Wow, several well known bands and some I've never heard of too, of course. Sounds like fun.
  7. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where's Kid Rock?! It ain't Sturgis without him!

I wen to Born Free in Cali and was over it in 5 min. Would I like Sturgis? :-)
  8. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For years the Oglala, Lakota and other natives fought to have their sacred ‘Bear Butte’ protected from the noise from the ‘Chip..
    https://www.change.org/p/create-a-p...r-butte-a-sacred-site-and-historical-landmark

..most outsiders/tourists don’t have the understanding of the Black Hills (Paha Sapa)being most sacred to them...

https://www.history.com/topics/native-american-history/wounded-knee
    severely likes this.
  9. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to rouchford.(may not be spelling it right)
  10. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Richy likes this.
  11. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you plan to go riding during the rally do it as early as possible in the morning when all of the drunks and rookie riders are still hung over and/or in bed.
  12. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you value your belongings and you wish to get more than a few minutes of sleep each night - You DO NOT want to camp there.
    dirty_sanchez likes this.
  13. Liko

Liko Got probe?

Oddometer:
    Recommendations of what to see:

I recommend, to everyone, to go into Custer State Park and hang out one afternoon at Sylvan lake. Take hiking boots and swimwear. You can swim in the lake, and then hike around that area of the park. Pack a lunch and sunscreen. It's a fantastic spot and mostly visited by locals. Keep your park receipt so you can visit again. See below ...

RIDE HWY 16A !!!

But, be careful. Tour buses will share your lane whether you like it or not. They rule the road so play nice. When you get to the "pig tail" ... enjoy. It's a fun road and totally worth the ride. The scenery is everything.

One morning get to Custer State Park just before 7am. Ride the Wildlife Loop. Be on that loop at around 7 am. This is why you want to keep your park receipt because the booths will not be open this early. When you take the wildlife loop to the furthest part south in the park (bathrooms are there also) find Road 2. This is a dirt road that will take you, fingers crossed, to about 100 buffalo laying out in their morning sun spot. We came around this corner and nearly ran into a film production crew. They were there with all the trucks and stuff. Again, fantastic area.

There are several angles to see Mt. Rushmore from the highways that surround that area. In one spot you'll drive through a hole in the mountain and Mt Rushmore is perfectly framed in the center. It's really great to see.

There are fun things to do in Keystone and some good Bar B Q. Laundry is available at the Donkey Food Laundromat if needed (when you see it you know what I'm talking about).

Have fun. Ride safe.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  14. X5-

X5- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree or come before the rally starts.

Don’t forget Devil’s Tower, if you go take highway 85 south of Lead to four corners over to it. Vanocker canyon, Spearfish canyon, Badlands loop is cool to see and this year will be very nice will all the rain.
    Richy likes this.
  15. racer49

racer49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as riding goes , if you like to ride with less of a crowd then early in the morning 7 or 8 am pretty much beats the crowd , and around noon time have been best experience for when I went . Cooler temps in the morning too. As mentioned already , staying in Deadwood is pretty nice - more off street parking , quieter at night (after midnight anyway) fun bars .
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  16. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    I'm going either next week or after I'm leaning on going next week but it is hot here. I plan on camping all the way. I was wondering if Badlands was a good place to camp and ride and see all the sites. I plan to ride to Sturgis, Deadwood,Hot Springs and all the tourist trap places.
  17. Deltron

Deltron Of the Golden Flower

Oddometer:
    Food:
    Black Hill burger and bun in Custer if your eating there. (get there when it opens or before a line usually exists)
    Armadillos icecream in Rapid City has great shakes. Also independent ale house has good pizza in Rapid City.

Some Places to see:
    Stop by Pactola Reservoir if you enjoy swimming (it will be a little cold).
    Stop at Mount Rushmore and get the Thomas Jefferson Vanilla Icecream.
    Spearfish Canyon is beautiful and different from the rest of the black hills.
    Do a cave tour at Jewel Cave National Monument or Wind Cave National Park. There is a gravel route around Wind Cave National Park. See some bison and other wildlife, watch for prairie dogs.
    Ride the roads in Custer State Park check out the needles.

If you are camping, do it in the black hills, its a national forest there are plently of free spots to camp, basically down most gravel roads, there is a forest service place in Custer and you can get a map for free and see the spots. Also, if you stay in the black hills there are so many places within and under 2 hours away. Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave, Mount Rushmore, spearfish canyon, custer state park, all are so close to eachother.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  18. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Badlands campground is pretty desolate and unshaded. IMO there are better choices west of Rapid City, wooded and shaded, and closer to most things.
  19. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Thanks, I plan on staying in that area a couple of days before heading west.
  20. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of camp grounds in or just out side the Bad Lands NP.. One is inside just south of the Ben Riefel Visitor Center and the other is just south of the Park in the little town of Interior.

There is also a campground in the town of Wall( Wall Drug fame)on the western side of the Bad Lands loop.

FYI..in and around this area the 1992 movie ‘Thunderheart’ starring Val Kilmer was filmed..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderheart