Seeking Sturgis recomendations

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rubber Dutchman, Jun 24, 2019.

1. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    I plan to ride down through Wyoming and ride through Yellowstone and was wondering how crowded it is this time of year?
  2. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once school starts, and it has, the crowds are way less. Good time to go, heat has broken (mostly) and weather has been stable for me at least.

Rod
  3. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t be surprised if one would see snow up in the higher elevations and passes in the next couple of weeks.. Personally witnessed four feet of that ‘white stuff’ up in the Black Hills in the early part of October..
    kwthom likes this.
  4. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading out this morning plan on camping at Deadwood and ride and explore from there, will post pics.
    X5- and iflysideways like this.
  5. bighairless

bighairless Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wife and I spent 10 days at a campground just west of Custer state park. We left one week before the gathering and there is no way being there at prime time would be on my list but to each their own. I'll skip commenting on the touristy stuff...go see what interests you but the roads are fantastic! Needles, 16A, Iron Mountain road, Game trail, Spearfish Canyon, Band lands, etc. All the pavement was great...Needles Hwy and Iron Mountain road were just getting the lines painted on new asphalt when we were there. (If you're out before the morning dew has evaporated I noticed the new pavement was a little slick for spirited riding with A3's. Not horrible but worth considering)

Even two weeks to one week before the gathering there was enough motorcycle and other traffic that I avoided the tourist roads after about 10:00am -the lack of talent from the motorcyclists and the cars was rampant. The tight roads (Needles/Iron) are a blast in the early morning (and in the dark before sunrise if you have good lighting on the bike)...absolutely loved drinking morning coffee at the peak of Needles while watching the sun come up. Gorgeous. I had a blast riding at my chosen pace with the roads all to myself in the morning (this place is dead early am).

I love the roads in eastern TN and western North Carolina (southeastern Ohio is great too) but something about the Black Hills on a motorcycle really left a mark on me.
  6. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    There's an old radio installation on the top of Flagg Mountain that's pretty easy to get to. I found this place by complete fluke. It's kind of southeast-ish from Rapid.

Killer views and all sorts of old concrete structure to climb around on if you fancy.
  7. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes..the Black Hills (Paha Sapa) are a spiritual area..probably why the American Natives want it back..

See: Laramie Treaty of 1868

https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=42
    severely likes this.
  8. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Decided to camp at Custer for 2 days and ride around this place is beautiful.
    X5-, kwthom and TonyKZ1 like this.
  9. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have the time take a little side trip(about an hour or so from Custer) out to the Wounded Knee memorial and see this Nations treatment of our American Natives on the Rez..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre
    neanderthal likes this.
  10. BenTher

BenTher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something really cool in the area I haven't seen mentioned is the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs,SD. It is basically a sink hole where wooley mammoths, and other prehistoric animals went down into, but couldn't get out. Of course they died there leaving a pit full of fossils that is still an active dig today.
    X5- likes this.
  11. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Wonder how the OP made out on his adventure up nawth...
  12. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He still hasn't made bail.
    kwthom likes this.
  13. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
  14. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    It very well might be called Coolidge Mtn. I could swear it was called Flagg mtn on my gps though. Kind of SE from Rapid if I remember correctly.

Here's the link, like I said, I found this cool place completely by fluke. Coolidge Mtn looks to be in Custer State Park. Flag Mtn. isn't anywhere close.

http://www.howtoenjoytheblackhills.com/2011/09/27/flag-mountain-lookout/
  15. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode from Deadwood up to Devils Tower and then to Billings and camped there. I then rode 212 to Beartooth Pass and dropped down to Yellowstone.i have never been on a road like Beartooth Pass, the scenery was awesome
    klaviator likes this.
  16. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Flag Mountain is quite a bit North of Custer, between Hill City and Deadwood. Coolidge is SE of Custer, that's why I assumed you were talking about Coolidge. Also from what I can see, Flag mountain would require a lot of dirt riding. Coolidge is right off of paved SD 87 and is about 1.7 miles of well graded dirt.

You also mentioned a radio tower - that would be Coolidge which does indeed have an impressive array of antennae. From what I can see, Flag Mountain is a fire lookout tower, not a radio tower.
  17. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Expecting a foot or more tonight in the ‘Hills