Seen on a corner of the internet…

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by [Art], Nov 2, 2019.

1. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you think? Good Idea™ or Heresy?

74184027_442910383032476_1798718052863311872_n.jpg 73177178_442910323032482_7633171248893132800_n.jpg
  2. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    It's not only a good idea it's the only thing that actually works when driving in extreme cold conditions.
    Heated grips just can't compete.
    So why not use it on the 790 if it helps you, go for it, it doesn't look to bad... :D cold numb hands ain't much fun :thumbup
    DRglidarn, Eatmore Mudd and lasher like this.
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    It's standard for winter and way better than heated grips. Have both - even better. Feel free to use summer or rain gloves and enjoy warm hands and good 'grip-sense' on bars.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pogies are the warm standard in cold weather riding.
    Not cute, but very effective.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats
    Givi TM421
  6. lasher

lasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the hippo hands and they work great. Used the this morning. Anything that can extend the riding season is a win in my book.

https://www.hippohands.com/
  7. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Barkbusters Blizzard.
    Ugly as hell but they do work.

hippo.jpg
    Eatmore Mudd and kzeb like this.
  8. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Ouch.. get them out of my face :lol3
    :beer
    braaap! and Salzig like this.
  9. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I use the same ones. They're definitely ugly but they work great.

Best part is if you already run the KTM aluminum hand guards, the Barkbusters fit like they were built for those backbones. I'm pretty sure Barkbuster makes the KTM aluminum handguards, so that's probably why.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any idea if the barkbusters blizzard would fit over the stock plastic handguards?
  11. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think so. They're big, but not that big :lol3
    I remove the stock 990 handguards when I mount them.
    TheGr8Pumpkin likes this.
  12. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
  13. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    So if you have to ride some slab to the trail, I guess you either brave the cold or take enough time to swap them once you get there...

I've been searching for some hippo hands that work well over hand guards.
  14. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
  15. floalex

floalex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just installed them on my 790. looks odd but works fantastic.
    IMG_2070.jpg
    CaseyB likes this.
  16. TheGr8Pumpkin

Oddometer:
    over the hand guards?
  17. floalex

floalex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Actually they have a Velcro inside to fix them to the outside part of hand guard.
    Very easy install.
  18. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of actual Hippo Hands brand mitts. They fit over the stock 790 handguards just fine, just as they did on my former V-Strom 1000s and my 990 SMT. These later generation Hippo Hands are not nearly as bulky or--well, ugly--as the original ones from the 70s. They're lightweight, not a whole lot bigger than the various off-brand mitts made for ATVs and such, but cover more area of your forearms and maintain their shape well, making it easy to slip your arm out of and back into when necessary. The combination of these with heated grips lets me ride in the coldest weather I'm willing to ride in, while wearing MX or some version of Mechanix gloves for good grip and tactile feel. I'd much rather ride with handlebar mitts than heated gloves with their too bulky insulation.

I've also used various brands of cheaper and smaller handlebar mitts and they work fine, too, in combination with typically-sized handguard shields, like those of most any brand commonly put on dirt bikes. For example, I have SRT handguards and shields on my 500 EXC. On it, I use a pair of smaller handlebar mitts labeled Ducks Unlimited that I bought years ago from, as I recall, someplace like Rocky Mountain ATV (for around $30). On those, I ripped the inboard seam and installed a few grommets. That lets me lace them with a piece of cord to adjust the tightness of the sleeve for easier in/out. Not as shielded from wind ingress that way, of course, but still far better than without mitts, and I don't usually ride the 500 for hours on the street in the winter. I've used those very same mitts on a variety of bikes (KLR, DR650, 690 Enduro).

On the 790, I now have a set of Barkbusters guards and shields, for these reasons:
    • I always put metal handguards on my bikes (street legal or not; even on my Trials bikes) to protect expensive levers in a minor fall, and in the case of off-road or dualsport bikes, they serve as convenient "kickstands" by just leaning a handlebar end against a tree.

• KTM's proper handguards offering for the 790 (which should be stock instead of the cheap plastic ones) seems to be Barkbusters, just with shields styled for KTM. Barkbusters' mounts are less bulky than, say, Cycra-styled mounts and similar others, so are easier to avoid contact with the instrument panel at full lock--which is my guess why KTM chose them.

• Barkbusters has a shield style named "JET" (available in orange, of course) on which that model name is not just a decal, but actually a cutout. I couldn't resist having my own initials thusly emblazoned on my bike. :-)

• Barkbusters has some LED running lights that expressly fit the JET style shields (and some of their other styles), which I may purchase if I don't find an auxiliary lamp mount solution that I like for this bike.
    The "JET" shields are about the same size as other typical dirt bike shields, which is the size I prefer for year-round use.

I even found it unnecessary to use the master cylinder spacer with the regular Bark Busters, even though I bought one. All I had to do was position the bar just below the pivot end of the brake lever, instead of directly in front of it. The position of the guards still looks correct, and the length of the levers is still protected in case of a fall or hitting a tree. My stock bar mounts are in the rear holes with the offset rotated frontward. I have a full inch of clearance between the guards and the instrument panel, at full turn on both sides.

JET
  19. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    seenthesaucers and Wizard like this.