Sell three bikes to buy one?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tHEtREV, Jun 1, 2020.

1. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    My sheds full. I'm thinking of selling three bikes and getting one. But I'm torn...

I've been buying cheap bikes, fixing and then selling them for a while until I got what I hoped I would be happy with, being an 08 Husky TE250 and an 06 Husky CR125.

The TE is a great bike to ride and less than 2000ks on it, but it has annoying buzzy vibrations, and it is relatively heavy for a 250.

The CR was worn out when I got it, but it has been completely stripped and rebuilt. Revalved Ohlins shock and KYB forks from a 2010 TC250. No idea what it rides like because the shut down came not long after I finished it so I haven't ridden it.

Both bikes don't have much in the way of aftermarket parts for them and with the demise of Husky parts are hit and miss (the TE shares a lot of parts with the SWM RS300 so I can get parts there).

A few weeks ago I added an 09 WR450F that I got for a ridiculously good price with 4500K on the clock. Everything looks in great condition (except the shitty 19 inch YZ rear wheel) after a clean and new set of plastics, seems to run great with no smoke or strange engine noises. Has been sitting a few years though.

So I was happy with the two Huskys, got the WR, and then started plans of getting it registered, and stripping the TE for strictly off road riding and doing a bit of off road and MX on the CR.

But then after a bit of thought I realised the WR could do everything the TE does, and realistically I probably won't find the time or money to take the CR to a track, so now I am thinking I could just sell the three, and buy one decent bike.

but I am torn because I have always liked having a few bikes with narrow focus on specific tasks, but then I think a 350 or 500 EXC would probably be better at most tasks than any of the three I have at the moment (just using the KTMs as an example, no idea what I want).

The other concern is that I came from a 525 EXC to a WR250 (two stroke Husky) and my TE250, I hated the WR and was so much happier on the TE that I am thinking I enjoy small four strokes more than big thumpers, but before the 525 I had a Gas Gas EC250 (2T) and loved it (that's why I got the WR that I hated) so I really like some 250 2Ts...

I am keeping my KLE so any big distance riding will be done by that, but it would still be nice to be able to ride a few hundred Ks, and maybe a desert trip of two, and maybe that's where a big tanked WR450f and a stripped down TE250 along with a CR125 would be great to cover all my basses.

And yes I know I should ride the WR and CR to see if I like or hate them, but I don't have anywhere to ride until I register one or shit opens up.

So what do you guys think, three narrow focused bikes, or one for everything?
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Theres a bit going on there for sure
    Martijn Wils likes this.
  3. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Yep. You should see what's going on in my head.
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    i know where your coming from though, I’m going through it myself, not really enough time to use them and wonder if i could rationalise, but what to do......
  5. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Yep. I think the biggest thing is that is I sell every thing I could actually buy a decent bike for once.:lol3

I reckon I may have around $7000 to spend if I sold them, but it is nice to have a small bore 2t to scream around on, and a big thumpers for a power fix, and a really capable trail bike that is easy to ride...
  6. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Personally I've found that the Africa is a keeper. Great on the road and dirt roads. KLE does that for you.

My only other bike will be a DRZ400 to keep up some fitness and trail skills.

I'd take a WR450 over a DRZ400 though and the only 2 stroke I would own would be a KTM300

Take out of that what you will :-)
    Hodgo likes this.
  7. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clearly, you need 4 bikes.
    But don't ask me, ive no idea.
    PilbaraGoat, tripodtiger and ToriMish like this.
  8. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just do it!!!!

Myself and a friend who owns a bike shop talked this morning.

He weighed his 500 with half a tank of fuel (long range tank) and it came in at 110kg. With 63hp on tap?

Man, its a no brainer
  9. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Early 350EXC.
  10. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beta 390RR
    stujamur, benzo and Precis like this.
  11. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much time have got to ride? Are you spending riding time wrenching? Which do you prefer? If you can ride anytime, have lots of bikes. Every weekend? Maybe two decent bikes? One weekend a month? One modern, great bike that you will have more fun on instead of vibrating old steeds waiting to break! Just my 2c’s....
    wairau and Beetle66 like this.
  12. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    $7 k doesn't get you a decent bike.

Buy 3/4 more projects, one to be busted every day of the week . Then crack the sh1ts, sell the lot, and walk into a bmw shop. Slap yourself about the face and run. Fast.
    GodSilla, Kiwirich, Simosez and 2 others like this.
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beta 480 RR will cover all bases, other than long distance cruising

About $2-3 cheaper than a 500EXC
  14. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    n+1
    Solo Moto and Crofty like this.
  15. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have thought that on many occasions...
  16. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm kind of leaning that way.

I'm kind of over working on bikes, but I know I will have another "project bike" fairly quickly.

I am going to say at best I'll get one day/weekend a month riding, and that is trail riding (usually organised events) and I would probably be lucky to put 500Ks on the bike I will be using.

As much as I would love to keep the WR, and how little I would get for the TE and how much I love riding that thing, I think it would make sense to sell and only have one bike to worry about...
  17. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    '12-15 Yami WR250?:dunno
    They sound like a heap of fun (if you're not too heavy), reliable, versatile and parts/upgrades are plentiful.
  18. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    The 15+ was the bike I was looking for before I got my TE, I know a couple of guys who have them and they love em. Not sure the 12-15 would be much of an upgrade from the TE, and I may as well keep the WR instead of stepping down to the 250.
  19. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Impressive. Take one for a test ride.
  20. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    KTM 500 would be my pick, always has been. I'm just too old for one now. :gerg