Sell three bikes to buy one?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tHEtREV, Jun 1, 2020.

1. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a 450 then :)
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  2. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I thought both my 525's were great to ride (and I'm sure the 500's are in a completely different league), but after sitting in a gully exhausted I decided to try something smaller. And after talking to Bobby Dazzler at the 24Hr he said he was loving the WR250f and was happy he made the switch, Poppy went from a TE510 to a 350 EXC and was happy with the result (I think it was Poppy anyway), and when I first rode the TE I decided I was much happier on a smaller 4T than a big thumper.

But part of the reason I ended up with the bikes I have is because I because I have the bike I can ride all day (the TE) I have a small light bike I can wring the neck of and not die, and the WR should fill my big bore needs when you need to have the 'bars smack you in the face when you twist the throttle...
    PBee likes this.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easy...keep the 3 bikes and sell that klr :deal
  4. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    It's a KLE... E not R you philistine...
  5. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    650 apologies

C66CF46F-B302-4C7F-88F7-2F1D92E86557.jpeg
  6. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quietly praying it's not a 500 :whip
  7. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Of course it's the 500...
  8. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    well...in that case...sell all 4 bikes and buy a kle 300 :dunno
  9. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need a 570 Berg @tHEtREV :nod

Dirt bike, rally bike, ADV bike, commuter bike...Not highly strung and light enough to be thrown/dragged around on the hills.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  10. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    390 was on my list. Bit old though, stopped making them about 8 years ago so parts may be a concern in a few years.
  11. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you really love the H brand, sell 'em all and get a new FE350. Road register it and you'll be sweet.
  12. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    Mate it sounds like you might get bored too quickly with 1 bike
    Personally only got time for 1 moto and 1 mtb . Irrespective i reckon 1 good bikes better then 3 dodgey bikes , sell it and but something else when you fancy a change
    jjjjjjay and 0405canvet like this.
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    KTM parts mostly. Main parts will be avail for quite some time yet.

Still, if you are wanting to reduce weight, my pick would be the 350. It will cover a large range.

20209982-E11D-4016-AEB7-FA8A291F107C.png
  14. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got nothing to add other than laugh at/with you. :lol3:jack:D:rofl

I may be proven wrong but the unicorn that it sounds like you want doesn't/won't/can't exist.
  15. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Silly, throw away comment.
    I'm in a similar boat. Too many bikes to keep up with all of them because I don't want to be a collector, I want to ride them.
    And the other end of the piece of string is age making some of us less physically able (no big thing for me anymore).
    Kiwirich likes this.
  16. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :lurk :y0!

You said a mouthfull right there... :nod :lol3 :loco

The iDIOT savant in him makes it's presence known... :clap :rofl

Do not listen to these voices...:gerg they are the words of the orange satan. :grim :eatme

tREV has the qualification we're looking for then... :brow:wink:

A very well spent 2 cents there... :stupid

Dr Freud come in with a pearler of a suggestion... worthy of PGF thrad status... :clap :rofl

:norton

:augie

:lurk

:stupid too...

:dllama:

What, pray tell - is this unicorn you preach of - ye wise old crafty blue tonged one...? :ear :pope

:205

The answer is simple...

tREV obviously needs to sell up his entire existing machine park, and employ the services of Pezz and the Skunkworks/Scrappers brainstrust (ok... it's an oxymoron - but let's run with it for the purposes of the excercise). In order to design and prototype a unicorn gamechanger that the motorcycle industry has failed to yet provide us with - sourcing a combination of the best features of contemporary models (using only new factory purchased components - not used scrapper material :augie) and thereby create - once and for all - the ultimate, optimum universal application unicorn "adventure bike". :norton

From tREV's detailed "must have list" we can ascertain that the proposed design brief leans towards a euro/japanese inspired, variable combustion chamber size (250cc - 650cc) inline twin cylinder (narrow), three stroke fuel injected engine (with race pipe :evil), wrapped up in a light weight offroad capable chassis, featuring ample long travel/progressive suspension, with single track/enduro bike ergo's, low seat height and luggage carrying/touring ability, good wind protection - without hindering forward trail vision, ample fuel range for extended trips housed in a low center of gravity fuel cell - that aids handling/offroad trail habits - without looking like Dolly Parton's bra fell off the sides... :imaposerall under 160 kgs... wet... with out camping beer. :1drink

Laddies and gendermen... I give you... :deal

[​IMG]

:wings
  17. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well I'm not after a unicorn bike. I just want a trail bike that's fun to ride and better than what is in my stable at the moment.

It won't be doing multi day trips, only trail rides. I won't be commuting on it, it will be mainly used in single track. It doesn't need a large tank, will never carry luggage, 500K oil changes are fine and it will probably be done a lot sooner. So not a unicorn bike.
  18. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    That 2013-2016 KM 350 EXC solution sounds like the go then...
    :thumbup That is if the 390 'Berg idea doesn't float you boat (and you can find a good un')...

As AUSSIEADV wrote... the FE 'Berg's have so many common componentry to the KTM range... service parts is not really a problem, most can be sourced through KTM OEM parts still.
  19. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Found this one pretty quickly... https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/details/2010-husaberg-fe390/OAG-AD-18739666/?Cr=1

Talked to a bloke at work who is a massive 2T 300 fan, as soon as I said I was thinking about a 350 he said they are awesome and I should do it, so I like em, a lot of people have suggested it, so I won't get one now.:lol3

There has only ever been one time I have decided on a bike and actually got that bike, and even then it was because I already had the rally kit for it.

I'll start getting my bikes on the market and once I sell them and I know exactly how much I have I'll start looking...
  20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Good 390 would possibly meet your requirements Trev, though I am biased.
    Fitted with a cush hub and underseat tank and 6 gears, gets along well, and not as high strung as the 450 and 570.
    _20180529_203431.JPG
    troy safari carpente likes this.