Sell three bikes to buy one?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tHEtREV, Jun 1, 2020.

1. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rev! Are you going sensible now?? Just when we’re close to a game changing “Eureka” moment?? Should he be blocked from his own thread for a while?
    GodSilla and Dr AT like this.
  2. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Do what I do. Buy the bike you think will be perfect, then sell the others later when you are sure. In the end you won’t sell any. Doesn’t work for me every time.
    GodSilla, numbat and Dr AT like this.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    :beer Winner
  4. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
    Personally i reckon around the 350cc area is the Goldielocks of the 4 strokes for trail riding. They have plenty of poke. You are more than welcome to have a ride of mine Trev, makes the decision if you can see what a bike is like before spending the hard earned. I was lucky enough to have mates with them so got a few good rides before i made up my mind. Was tossing up between the 350 and a 300 stinky again, but went with what i enjoyed and new what i was getting because i had the chance to ride them. So far for me, it has been my favourite trailbike.
    20191019_115745.jpg

20200530_095923.jpg
  5. OldFakir

OldFakir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hoarding is often a PTSD symptom, surrounded by bikes, one feels safer. Problem of course is when the garage is full, and bikes start coming into the house, scuffing up the floors, and then the smell of gasoline pissing off the wife. Is it weird to start hanging sheets of plastic to isolate the fumes?

Get a Beta 390, mate.
  6. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.

what about the beak?

:fpalm
    GodSilla likes this.
  7. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Id go the 350 before the 390. The 350 is alot lighter and a tad smaller. I was very impressed with the 350 i rode.

Single track trail bike? Geez thats easy! 300cc 2T.
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    This one lasted a day earlier in the week in scary dark web market place

28043CFD-B77F-47FA-9A9D-1E31828CEC65.png
    3512B155-9444-4F41-8F1E-7724877F4F7E.png
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I've been pondering how to respond to this one. And I still remember the girlfriend episodes, so I'm thinking this should resonate...........
    tREV, here are 2 scenarios.

Scenario 1, you have a reasonable woman to copulate with, but just one, and she's not really great at anything but a decent all-rounder.

Scenario 2, for just slightly more bother you have 3 women to copulate with, a choice of partner. They each do some things really well, other things not so much, but between the 3 of them you can have everything you ever desired.

Choose.
    flinders_72 likes this.
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    tripodtiger, numbat and Wodger63 like this.
  11. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The obvious answer is none of the above: find the one that does it all.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  12. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unicorn.
  13. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Not really, I have three bikes for the same riding. I will like one more than the others and take that one out most of the time, so why not sell them all and get one really good one rather than three good ones.

I really like the TE, the WR is in great condition and I'm sure it will be a better bike than I am rider, and the CR should be a fun ride, and it is fully rebuilt and gone over, but all three are over 10 years old (two 12 and one 14) the CR has a frame and engine from 2000, the TE can trace its engine from 03, chassis was all new in 08, and the WR was all new in 07, so I am sure I can get something a bit more modern.

I am slightly worried that I just won't get along with whatever I buy, as happened with the KTM 200EXC I bought that was the bike I lusted after for years, or the husky WR250, or the Yamaha WR250Z... On second thoughts maybe I should just stay away from two strokes, it looks like I don't like them...
    GodSilla and Ron50 like this.
  14. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Or I just get a KDX200.
    Cruz and numbat like this.
  15. Gazman

Gazman Zen equals camping

Oddometer:
    B6191940-DC0F-43FC-81E9-43D70A5408B5.jpeg
    Great choice. Get a real old one. They are really raw. Take you back to your youth. Cheers
  16. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you really like the te, why not try the younger sexy sister?

SWM 300, you could even keep the legs ( and wheels) from the cr as a back up....

You'll be bored to tears with nothing to work on for a year or two.....which is a another good argument for keeping the cr as a cheap toy with no rego fees etc? Perhaps after a year without a shed project you'll be looking at ways to slip the swm forks into that kle.....
  17. Strayarider

Strayarider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too much reading for me... Just buy an XT250 and don't look back !
  18. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    The SWM is very close to my TE except for an Athena 300 kit, engine balencer, some suspension and body work changes. It would be a step up, but not a great leap up and I would have the same problems I have with the TE (with the exception of engine vibes). I know the SWMs are assembled in Italy, but it was strongly suggested the component manufacturing is done in China. Most RS300s I have seen are out of my price range anyway.

I'll clean the bikes up today and they will get put on the market. Then I'll see what happens.
  19. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Talking about selling bikes - I’ve got some on the net for sale and it’s got me on edge with the Scammers/Bastards that make contact. So now I’m asking for a photo to be sent/txt to me of their licence before I’ll give out my address or bother with them. Bloody sad to have to go through it, but.
    tripodtiger, BergDonk and BygDaddee like this.
  20. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Yeah I get concerned about that. Especially now that I am putting three bikes on the market.

From now on the big chains go on all the bikes and I get paranoid about every sound at night.

I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks of dodgy contacts.

On a side note, when people advertise on ADV, do you usually give a discount? I used to but had a lot of n00bs make stupid offers and once or twice I have seen whatever I sold at a discount to an inmate turn up for sale again in a different place for twice the price. Now I have it slightly less here, but if someone I "know" wants it I'm usually prepared to drop the price further (but strangely no one that knows me wants my old bikes :lol3) .
    Kiwirich likes this.