1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Sell three bikes to buy one?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tHEtREV, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Swm are hit and miss on country of origin / component standards but the small bore bikes look pretty good in the flesh. I know when I bought my rs 650 the choice was between an old hysky te 630 vs brand new rs at a similar price point ( dealers were keen to discount, so that $7 k budget might be feasible) . Starting fresh with a brand new bike can be nice ( except you lose the ability to blame previous owners for poor maintenance...)

I'd say wheels / bearings and a few little things like speedo sensors are below husky standards, but they ARE NOT made in china ( eastern euro?) . They are heavier than husky but perfectly functional. So use the stock wheels as road trail options and keep the husky stuff for dirt?

Every bike I've owned from new and run in myself has been smoother to ride / tighter and generally nicer than low km second hand bikes. I don't care what the bargain hunters say, there is value in owning a faithful bike.

Sure, a brand new ktmhuskybergshercobeta is more modern and has more street cred, but setting up a bike to suit YOU from new , and then keeping it for a decade, can be a very economical decision. Or a really bad mustake if you need to sell it.....
    Kiwirich likes this.
  2. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    From here. https://www.motorcycle.com/features/swm-motorcycles-the-italian-oem-you-dont-yet-know.html
    "Selling old Huskys at new-KTM prices would be a losing proposition, so production costs are kept relatively low by sourcing 20-25% of the non-critical parts (like plastics, levers, seats and engine cases) from China. But Marchesin notes that all SWM motorcycles and engines are “manufactured, assembled and produced internally.”

I did check out the SWM RS300 a while ago, there is a dealer in Beaudesert that I get parts for my TE from, they look OK, but after three years on the TE I'm ready for a change anyway.
  3. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    All three bikes are washed and two were ridden around the block. The CR felt pretty good, I could live with it but I was reminded how aggressive you have to be with a 125, The WR felt quite nice and it feels like a nice strong engine, I could see it would be a handful in the bush though.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  4. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m treating everyone the same. A sale is a sale.
  5. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    True, I'm trying to make money to buy a new bike, not trying to make friends.:lol3
  6. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Never sell anything from home. Always do it in a shopping centre carpark.
    Huskatoberg 350 is what you want Trev. I had a 2013 Berg. Great single track bike yet still happy to do big fire trail days. I used mine in extreme sandstone and pine forest single track to High country Dargo rides.
    I once got 150kays on a stock tank in the high country and I was flogging it all day.
    Happy to tootle around at low revs plodding about, will also run with 450's down a fire trail at 10 million revs all day.
    Mine was geared 13:52. Very punchy. Would also run to 135kph if needed. Would cruse all day at 85. 14:50 would be good adv gearing giving 100kph crusing.
    I ended up selling the 350 because I found a 5 year old 2013 501 with 9 hours on it. I love it too. Much the same with less gear changes and more mumbo. I don't like the kato 450s. Too aggressive. The 350 can be ridden flat out all day and the 500 is nice and smooth. Both giving the same result. The 450 is tiring to ride IMO.
  7. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was the way the BMW GS450X was: you were always waiting for it to break traction so couldn't fully relax.

The XL350, TT500 and XR600 were all trustworthy and relaxing in comparison.
    Gazman likes this.
  8. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to look at the Freerides as well, liked the idea of them when they came out, but forgot about them until I saw a couple in my price range.
  9. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Dont hand out addresses. Meet them in town. Remove metadata from photos taken at home.
  10. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Why buy a half arsed 350 with rubbish suspension when you can get the real deal?
    Dakar Dan and AUSSIEADV like this.
  11. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm kind off thinking that.
  12. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far, we have helped you to narrow your search to any two or four stroke built this century, from any manufacturer. Good work guys!!
    tripodtiger, Kiwirich and Dr AT like this.
  13. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Should I consider electric as well?
    Dr AT, 0405canvet and flinders_72 like this.
  14. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beta 390 RR, X Trainer and until recently the Gas Gas Ranger sound like they might be worthy of your consideration if you’ve even thought about a freeride.
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    There is an immaculate Sherco 300 2T 2016 with 20 hrs on it with plenty of accessories going for $7,000 here a mate told me about. Riding with him today apparently.
    0405canvet likes this.
  16. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well this morning I had all three sold and $8000 to spend, now I am refunding the money from the WR and collecting it tomorrow, so I'll have try and resell it.

It was a bastard because I had let the TE go a bit cheaper than I wanted because I would still hit 8k...
    flinders_72 likes this.
  17. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    + 1 on the Husqkatoberg 350/390. That’s what I’d do if I had to lose my 450.
  18. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Fark tRev, you had bikes left over after the property settlement? I needed your Solicitor

:loaded
    flinders_72 likes this.
  19. bikingreenie

bikingreenie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat.... I am in the process of selling off the fleet. Sold DRZ400E, DR350SE, Derbi Scooter, Cagiva Gran Canyon, and 1 or 2 others. Now I have a DR650E, 02KTM400EXC, and a 98 BMWR1100GS. I think I'll sell the DR and GS, get a 690R. Then I'll buy something else and start all over again!!

GOOD LUCK!
    0405canvet likes this.
  20. wozzamatta

wozzamatta Is it new bike time yet

Oddometer:
    How do you guys afford all the rego's and insurance.
    BygDaddee likes this.