Selling a Motorbike in another European country

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by FAB-BIKER, Mar 6, 2019.

1. FAB-BIKER

FAB-BIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I am planning to buy a Motorbike in Bulgary to ride towards Russia this summer.
    My question is: It is possible to sell it in Russia or another country if I buy in Bulgary for example?
    Thanks
  2. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    It's possible, buyer would need to make an import of the vehicle (custom fees, tax etc) and you will obviously need to go down with price so to get rid of the bike.

In practice it usually is much harder then it looks, so plan wisely or arrange a buyer on the other hand in advance if possible for hefty price reduction. You're limited with time, meaning either you will leave the bike with someone that will handle the sale, or you will sell in advance to someone for hefty price reduction.

Either way you need to be aware you will loose money.

On another note generally speaking opposite is also possible, that you buy sought out bike, that can be easily sold in Russia. So if you're not a special fan of special and unique bike, then asking on Russian forums could get your bearings on how to do it.

cheers
    dooby
  3. FAB-BIKER

FAB-BIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dooby for your coments,

You are right, and I know that I have to loose some money, unless that I found another traveller planning to go out of the country soon to avoid all these documents.

I was checking if it is easier to sell and make documents in Finland for example, than In Russia. A good point is to start selling it in advance because my time is short.

Do you live in Russia? Could you tell me websites for selling motorbikes there?
    Cheers
    Fabian
  4. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Within the European Union should be straight forward. Russia's laws on selling foreign registered vehicles are pretty strict, and import duties quite high. Selling in Ukraine might be more feasible.
  5. FAB-BIKER

FAB-BIKER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if registering a Motorbike with German export plate in Finland or Estonia, must pay taxes
    Different than already registered bikes in One of these countries?
    Thanks for any info
  6. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you will have avoided paying the Tax in Germany, therefore you must pay it in the other EU country upon sale. Not all EU states have the same rate of VAT.
    Some countries have registration fees at a higher or lower level.

The level of hassle for any prospective buyer will be a handicap and hinderance on a quick and easy sale. Assuming they have to go through any registration proceedure, in which case insist on cash in hand.