Selling Up and Leaving - Careful What You Wish For!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Reaver, Oct 17, 2014.

1. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reaver,

Great write up. Since I stumbled upon your thread, I've been vicariously living through your adventure.

My wife is not adventurous what-so-ever and it dampen my goal of travelling the world. Perhaps, when my daughter is old enough (she's 1 now), I might just ditch the old lady and take off on my own.

-kwando
  2. boulderbean

boulderbean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lived and worked in Argentina for a couple of years. I found watching the news to be helpful in learning Spanish, the news is the news and tends to be presented in the same way.
    Before I left the US for Argentina I had two books recommended to me.
    One was the Oxford-Duden Pictionary.
    This has pictures, such as a wall in a hardware store with hand tools, that identify the items in Spanish and English
    http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Duden-Pictorial-Spanish-English-Dictionary/dp/0198645155

The other was 501 Verbs, the Spanish language one of course. Each verb has an entire page dedicated to it, the various tenses are explained and examples are given.
    http://www.barronseduc.com/0764197975.html

Each of these books are on the order of 800 pages, there is a lot of information but are easy to use.

I got good enough to get around, work, shopping, on the phone etc. Unfortunately years have done by and most of this has faded into the past.

Good luck, great report.
  3. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Have a great night everyone!

We're going to look at a Mountain Ranch shortly. Seems to have almost everything we want. Even 2 Convertible cars. Except for the basketball court. I'm sure I could convert it to a shop tho. :D

Thanks all.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    have fun
  5. nichloasjerry1

nichloasjerry1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy new year and count me in :freaky
  6. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    No pressure, but we like your pussy!
    Happy 2015! :clap
  7. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Double banned?

I think a NY's Resolution is in order.

Guess you'll have more time to shovel now. :rofl

HNY
  8. JakeMagnum

JakeMagnum n00b

Oddometer:
    "My AC drains into the shower. I sent Mike Holmes this pic and he wants it all tore out."

Now that's funny! I almost spit out my iced tea.
  9. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe your "old lady" will give you a hall pass for an adv ride???:ricky
  10. river-rider

river-rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I reluctantly turned around and consulted Zumo. There are NO other roads. My only option was to go all the way back the way I came. Isn't there a traveler's rule about backtracking? Besides, I was low on fuel. The gauge showed 60 kms till empty and there were no stations down here. No way a fuel truck could travel these roads. I'd left the Camel empty cause the map looked like it was a civilized place. Another ASSumption on my part. Maybe I'm a slow learner.

I had NO choice now.
    [/QUOTE]

This post reminded me of a quote from another famous Canadian ...
    "And isn't it ironic, don't you think? ... a $500 Camel tank and nothing to drink ......"
    .... ok, I made up the last part .... but it sticks in your head ....:lol3
    Good luck and check out Fortuna and Turrialba, still is what CR was except petty crime which has increased everywhere and I've been going to CR since 1983
  11. Reaver

Oddometer:
    I'm honoured that my comment inspired your first post! I knew someone would get that joke. It's a Canadian thing. Mike would tear down entire cities here. I bet it'd be his personal hell! :rofl
  12. Reaver

Oddometer:
    With a 1 yr old you're kinda stuck. Maybe you could "Go to the store for a pack of smokes"? Or get lots of insurance before you leave.

It'll happen if you really want it. I was inspired by the "much older than me" Adventurers doing the Alaska to TDF. Your time will come. Maybe there'll be Hover Scooters by then?

[​IMG]

Oops! Wrong link.

[​IMG]
  13. Reaver

Oddometer:

Yeah, the Ironic song where nothing is ironic.

It was like having a gun with no ammo. :D I had passed countless gasolineras that I figured there would be no point carrying extra weight. I made it with 22 kms to 0, according the the "known for accuracy" trip computer.

We'll be spending a lot of time exploring. We've done the Country a few years ago on bikes. Turrialba is where I came the closest to death ever. Whitewater rafting and the first Class 3 emptied the boat. I really freaked out a German couple. They were expecting a body. I had surfaced unseen long enough to take one breath before being dragged back under. Had time to entertain thoughts about there being worse ways to go. The couple was so shocked when I popped up by the raft and asked for help getting back in that they just stared at me. :eek1

But yeah, a great place. We're torn between the expensive but easy to rent beachside house and what we really want, an acreage in the cooler mountains at half the price but close to the beaches. Since the Real Estate Agents here seem....uncompetant, we can't get an appointment for the Ranch on 5 acres. They don't have the owner's phone number to arrange a visit. And it's been for sale over a year.....

Yup, we're not in Kansas anymore.

Hey look, I'm a (undead) River Rider!

[​IMG]
  14. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:

:asshat

:fyyff

Hope you had a great holiday......alone! :lol3
  15. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:

:flush Nope, he was drinking from the toilet bowl with the kitties.
  16. river-rider

river-rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turrialba is where I came the closest to death ever. Whitewater rafting and the first Class 3 emptied the boat. I really freaked out a German couple. They were expecting a body. I had surfaced unseen long enough to take one breath before being dragged back under. Had time to entertain thoughts about there being worse ways to go. The couple was so shocked when I popped up by the raft and asked for help getting back in that they just stared at me. :eek1

[/QUOTE]

We got flooded off the Paquare a few years ago and we were offered a chance to paddle an "easy" river called the Payebaya. Dropped in a hole that swallowed and "taco'd" the boat. Guide froze, I called the "high side" and we surfed in a hole so deep we couldn't see downstream and had 2 less paddlers than when we dropped in, they were just gone! Finally caught some leverage with a single paddle and rescued ourselves. Found the flushed paddlers 1/2 mile downstream, banged up and wanting to walk out.:eek1 If you want the most challenging paddling out of Turrialba try the "Pesca" section of the Reventazon river, but only with a guide you trust with your life, literally. ...
  17. pepelopez

pepelopez Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Look around san ramon, 800 meters and less than a hour from puntarenas. or i really like zarcero, nice a high, above the cloud line, 3 hours from the beach. beach is nice to visit, but it's way to hot to live there for me, i live in san carlos, south of fortuna up in the mountains at the end of the 4x4 trail. green all year and no water issues. so much has built up around the beach, not enough water to go around, and the big hotels get first crack at it. :pimp:jose
  18. Reaver

Oddometer:
    So many possibilities.

We found that 5 acre ranch ourselves after giving up on the Agent. What a disappointment. The long way is all paved but real slow and twisty. Fine on a bike but daily in the car? The short way was dirt and slow. Ug. Seemed near perfect in the ad. Yeah, I know. Ad HERE. Check out the $29 K Condo in the Fire Sales!

A 1924 bridge for the shortcut.

[​IMG]

Then the road got worse. I can only imagine the Rainy Season.

[​IMG]

This nearby bridge collapsed in '09, killing 5 in the School Bus. Just another point to consider.

[​IMG]

So tomorrow we're going to Uvita to see 3 places...........Remax Agents are on the ball here!
  19. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Reaver!
    So did the acreage look at all like the pics in the add?
    Regards....justjeff
  20. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Sort of.

It was an L shaped lot, fragmented by the look of it. No river and I don't know where they get the mountain view but the cars were included. Been for sale at least 2 yrs. The town is on a dead end road far from anything. No attractions nearby and really no reason to be there.

Again, after an arduous journey, I want to arrive somewhere. No just be home. We agreed that even for $100 K less we'd still say no.