Selling Up and Leaving - Careful What You Wish For!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Reaver, Oct 17, 2014.

1. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm working on it...right now, I have a two week great lakes ride lined up for August. Grad school, full-time work, a baby, and a wife has been holding me down for now...I do plan on riding out to Labrador next year.
  2. kwando723

kwando723 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I would need more than just a pack of smokes dealing with my daughter...she's throwing temper tantrums for no reason...FML.
    Hover Scooters would be awesome...perhaps, I'll take a trip to Costa Rica over the Gulf of Mexico.

Reaver...what you have done is inspirational man...I agree, my time will come.
  3. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Paying it forward for those who inspired me to do this.

Uh, never heard of "Going for smokes"? It's a joke......an excuse for leaving then you don't come back! :eek1

eg: John had left for a pack of cigarettes one night and had never came back. I always thought that was a euphemism for something else until it happened to me. Certainly someone would already have to have plenty of reasons to be suddenly moved to leave home forever. Going for smokes was just a way to get out of the door."

Just kidding.......
  4. moralem

moralem Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the quarter of a million dollars they are asking is US dollars? What makes that worth that much?
  5. pepelopez

pepelopez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's not cheap here anymore, they want iphones, and this is how they get them.

wealth in costa rica comes from selling land that your dad or grandfather got for free, well, not free, they had to work their asses off to cut down all the trees, so they could put cows on it, then it's left to you 50 years later, then you sell it for a couple million, and you had nothing in it.
    i know some well off people, doctors and lawyers, they are lower upper class, but the real money is in the hands of the politicians/crooks, and ex/landowners. besides the doctors and lawyers, i don't know anybody that has anything because they worked for it. only the ones that sold land.

so the land is question is only worth what someone is willing to pay, been for sale for two years, nobody thought it was worth it, someday someone will see worth in it.
  6. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Exactly what pepelopez said. Big hopes and dreams destroyed by reality. Spoiled Generation.

So yesterday we looked at 3 places with 2 that reflected the dreamers looking to get rich. The two were Tico places meaning, respectfully, low standards. Small, tight places where density is normal. They'd make money but we couldn't live there also.

This place was great with a lot of potential but needed a pool and work to be made into a business.

http://www.propertiesindominical.co...al-in-costa-rica-playa-uvita-puntarenas-uvita

So,disappointed with day 1, we tried to find a Hotel. Ugh. It was just like being tired on a bike at the end of the day. The gorgeous one we stayed at years ago was full. Tried to find another one but the road was so bad we aborted. Another one we stumbled upon, no signs or nothing and when we pulled in had to walk all over just to find someone since there was no reception. No bar or restaurant either but beautiful. One room left but we'd have to back into town for food. Repeat a few more times. I just don't get how you can run a Hotel with no advertising or any sense of function.

Having given up, we headed down the road and saw "The Lookout" hotel sign. Followed the sign and at the Y in the road, an arrow etc. Everything flowed from parking to the room. Tidy, orderly and it made sense. I was very impressed, finally. Guess what? It was owned by Germans! Fantastic place. AC room with a view, $98.

The Lookout lookout.

[​IMG]

Maximum density. $200K

[​IMG]

Row House? Assisted Living? $190K

[​IMG]
  7. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    AC room with a view, $98.

That's more than I pay in Vancouver or Toronto...?
    Eh?
  8. Reaver

Oddometer:
    You don't need the AC now do you? :rofl

And in a Tourist area full of beaches and attractions in Costa Rica, $98 is cheap for a resort.
  9. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid that much for a room in Coleman this summer. It was a hole and I was glad to have it for two days of pouring rain. It was the last room available and that was the discounted late checkin price!
    Regards....justjeff
  10. Reaver

Oddometer:
    So.......today was much, much better. Different town, different Agent.

We saw 2 of the 3 houses that were featured on the show last year. The 2 that didn't sell, duh.

Both were ok but we passed on them as well. The River House was nice but not nice enough after a long travel time. The Jungle house had 3 acres and a river waaay in the back but the near vertical driveway down to the lot would be impossible on a loaded bike in the rainy season. Both prices have dropped dramatically as well.

Also seen a few more but nothing grabbed us all that much.

You Tube for the Episide. It was funny cause we have the same agent with her same truck.....from BC! She said the people featured on the show buy their house and set up before the episode is filmed. Then it's all re- enacted.

IDK how to embed..........

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18enyp_house-hunters-international-ojochal-costa-rica_travel

EDIT: I found the "sold" house from the episode, now a rental.

http://www.vrbo.com/567546

:D
  11. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    Hey, one thing you might want to try, i've not done it, but you might want to go by the BMW dealer in Pavas and/or the new multiagency also in Pavas, across the street from sylvania, and ask about riding groups/clubs? or whatever you would call them, lots of BMW's here, and Harleys, not so many KLR's:shog, but the BMW guy's/gal's are the upper crust you might say, if you got $20k for a f800.....but they are Dr.s and lawyers and owners. most speak english/spanglish. they know the country because they have been driving around it for the last few years. if you were to ask about going on a ride some weekend, they might be able to point you to what you are looking for a little easier than some agent thats just looking to dump the first thing that they have on you, trying to make the quick buck today, and not the big sale tomorrow..tico style you know...very hard to find something well made here, or even build with some style. just a thought, i know some raw land where i live, but's it's 3 hours from anywhere...rainforest... :huh:kumbaya
  12. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Yes, great ideas. There's a number of BMW's here where we're at but I haven't made contact yet.

Funny, I've not had the time to get in contact with you :freaky or about the lead on new tires yet. Bec's not working so we're trying to get some exploring done together. She's taking Spanish lessons also.

I don't expect it'll happen soon and I've owned a number of properties so I can read most RE Agents. I don't fall for their tactics. The lady on the first day (from Canada as well) was very, um, possibly a blonde in disguise? The second lady was what I want in an Agent. Knowledgeable and with it. She stated facts and told us how to verify them. Basically, the Uvita/Ojochal area is in high demand for rentals (we had a hard time getting a hotel) and the properties are moving if priced well and move in ready.

Anyhow....we fell in love with a place. Gorgeous. Started out at $400K so no takers. Meets most of our needs except the last 1/4 mile driveway is up a steep hill. Deliveries would be a bitch. Pretty sure a loaded golf cart would flip. And no garage for the bikes.

We had to leave before impulse buying........

Part of the driveway.

[​IMG]

But the views! Mountain AND ocean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. PatrickInVA

PatrickInVA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    yep, take it slow, nothing is going that fast right now, best to look at everything first, narrow it down and look again in the rainy season, you should see my driveway,, resizing some picts so i can post them on this thing,,but check the multiagency for tyres, i just got a tourance for $260, about what it would cost if i shipped one in, i don't mind getting fucked, but a kiss would be nice every now and then....:evil
  15. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Yes Dear.

We're serious on this one. Going through the numbers and possibilities now. Prob is that it's US $. We have CDN and the rate sucks. So the purchase price plus closing costs plus licensing plus startup costs is going to make it expensive. All before income is possible. A garage would be way off in the distance.

Anyway, my pics of the place are on a PB slideshow. You can view it if you care to but if PB crashes and wants money, I'm not paying!

The river is at the bottom of the driveway, not part of the lot. They built pools by removing rocks. The kids hammed it up when I got the camera out. The building with the SAT dish is the caretakers pad. By law, he'll be terminated and evicted. Then rehired if we want. The whole area is founded and mostly occupied by Canadians. Some Dutch and German as well. It's kinda like a Condo Corporation where the Community gets together and organizes improvements. Like the donated bridges.
  16. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    looks nice, put me down for a few nights when you get it open :freaky
  17. Reaver

Oddometer:
    aaaaaaand let me guess, the KLR rate? :rofl
  18. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    jajajajajaj,, let me see how the other half live, give me a GS room!:thumb :freaky
  19. pepelopez

Oddometer:
    tell me what you want for a tyre, brand, model, size, and i can ask how much at the big buck bike shop, multiagency, it's 125 meters from my shop.
  20. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer: