Sena 30K Questions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DMack_762, May 29, 2020.

1. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using the Sena 30K now for over a year and a half. I have a 2019 BMW R1250GSA with the TFT and NAV6. When I am solo riding, my Sena is paired as per all the suggestions, and YouTube videos… I never have issues at all. I can control my music, phone calls, etc. with my wonder wheel, and it sync’s automatically upon start up about 98% of the time. There are still some “bugs” with the BMW software and TFT, but for the most part, I am happy with it, when I am solo.

Now, add my wife two up with me. I have to completely delete my connections, and the only way I can use the intercom with her Sena 30K is to do a Bluetooth connection. Mesh does not work at all for me. I have all of my units updated to the latest software / firmware, and it’s beyond frustrating.

Recently, we bought my wife a 2019 BMW F750GS with the TFT and NAV 6. Same issue. Solo, she can pair to her bike and things work perfectly. It’s when we try to sync coms together, it is a huge fail. I’m wondering if this is a BMW issue, or a Sena issue?

I’d like to be able to listen to my music, and use intercom with her when we are riding… that’s what we bought the units for. I’m THIS close to getting rid of the Sena 30K units, and going a different route.

What are you all using? I like the ability to use my wonder wheel to control things, but I’m wondering what NON BMW riders are doing with their Sena units? I have not ridden in a group ride where I pair with other riders. Any suggestions?

Cardo is looking good to me now.

Thanks!

~ Darren
  2. slipperyeel

slipperyeel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Daren. Not in going to such a great help (I have a 2011 GSA - so no TFT it wonder wheel). I do have a 30K tho.

You made one comment that made me wonder. Are you expecting to set up a mesh connection with your wife? My first thought is, you can't really have a mesh made of just two users. So I'm wondering if that is an issue?

Just sharing a first thought! Someone who knows more than me will be along!
    DMack_762 likes this.
  3. DMack_762

Oddometer:

No, not a MESH connection, but an intercom connection. Let's say she's riding trail behind me, she SHOULD be able to listen to her music, me listen to mine, and work independently, but be able to talk via Intercom through the VOX feature. As it stands, we can't achieve this. She's a new rider, so communication is paramount, not the music. When she is two up with me, same issue... I can't share music with her, I can't sync with her via intercom unless I completely unpair from my bike and use the blue tooth intercom only.

It's frustrating...
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    what are your pairings ?
    is your phone paired to the tft then the tft paired to your comm or do you have them both paired to the comm ?
    DMack_762 likes this.
  5. DMack_762

Oddometer:
    My phone is paired to the TFT and then to the NAV6. My contacts are imported to the TFT, but not to the NAV. I don't use NAV for media or phone calls, just for navigation. My Sena is paired to the TFT as rider.

I have followed the instructions on YouTube to the letter. I don't pair my Sena to the Nav as the second phone pairing because I find it works better for me (solo) that way.
  6. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have a 30K, but a 10C Pro. From what you're telling me though, your wife should be paired on the Group Intercom. There shouldn't be any limitations that way.

Chris
  7. slipperyeel

slipperyeel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok. Apologies. I was barking up the wrong tree

Yea. That sounds bloody frustrating. I'll have a fiddle with mine and my spare helmet to see if I can help at all. Because I have the same gear, I feel like I should also know!