SENA 3S Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by onesaintsfan, Mar 2, 2015.

1. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Thought I would take a stab at starting a thread on this new Bluetooth headset. I ordered this one because I just wanted to wait until I have confidence in the new 20s. I am new to the Bluetooth stuff so at $89 shipped from Revzilla ( They Rock ) I decided to get this and put in my sportbike and commute helmet.

I got it Friday, but due to a lot of stuff going on last weekend I have not done anything other than open the box and look inside.

If a thread somewhere has already been started then excuse me.

I will be installing this ASAP in my Shoei RF1100, and will keep you posted. At this point I just wanted to get a simple headset for basic operations. This will be used with an iPhone 4S, ZUMO 550, and maybe a iTouch. But right now just the headset and iPhone.

My priorities are to simply hear music and podcasts from my 4S. Being able to answer a phone call is second, and possibly connecting to my buddies BMW headset when we are on the sportbikes. The ZUMO 550 is on my GS which currently has a J&M CB2003 set up for Radar detector and Aux imputs. The future plan is to get a 20s and put in my Shoei Quest and get dump the wired setup. But the J&M has been stone cold reliable, weatherproof and never need charging. I can even answer a call through the ZUMO and hear the other party but cant talk.

Anyway, chime in if you have used the 3S. Hope to soon be able to share my exp.
  2. dr. jones

dr. jones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    subscribed.

at <$100 starting with the 3S is a smart move. when/if you upgrade to the 20S you can use the 3S as a passenger intercom - or at least, that's what i would do.
  3. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    If and when that happens my wife will use the Shoei with the 3S in it and I will use the 20s. Don't get the 20s being only weather resistant(?). Be interesting to see how the 3S holds up.
  4. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    But not installed. I got the unit out and registered it with SENA. Everything was there and in order. Made sure I had the latest firmware which I did. Powered it up and paired it with my iPhone.

I think like most things it will take some getting use to. Since I will be listening to music/Podcasts with it I will be interested to see how long the battery lasts. I did have to download and print out the users manual because mine only came with a quick start guide.

I am curious though that it says it takes only 2.5 hours to charge. When plugged in I wonder if you have to mind it closely so that you don't overcharge and ruin it, or will it take care of itself. I was able to make a phone call by voice, but just am going to have to learn the buttons.

Sound quality is pretty good, but will have to see if volume is enough as I ride with earplugs.

For $89 I am not expecting much, believe me. I am going to install it in my RF1100 and give it a road test.
  5. sangfroid

sangfroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought two 3Ss three weeks ago from Sporttour. Sporttour is a Sena dealer, and I was the first to get the 3S.
    This is the first motorcycle communicator I have owned. It was very compact, east to install, and easy to use. I have a Scorpion EXO 900 flip-face helmet. I had to crush a little of the foam in the earpockets of my helmet to install the speakers the way I wanted, but that took about 5 minutes with a scissor handle I borrowed from the guys at Sporttour. I then had to adjust the microphone so it doesn't interfere with the chinbar. Total install time was about 15 minutes. I paired the comm with my phone (a bottom- of- the- line flip phone with a MP3 player) and I was done. My first test was the 50 mile ride home.
    This speaker in the helmet thing rocks when going slow in city traffic, lots of bass, but that bass goes away in the wind noise when you get on the highway. The same thing happens with my in-ear speakers. The 3S speakers can get painfully loud if you want to turn them up. They are plenty loud enough to hear music plainly with the chinbar of my helmet down.
    To call some one you have to press a button first, and then you can use voice dialing if your phone is equipped. The device will ring when someone calls, and say the name of the caller, if your phone is equipped to do so. To answer, you can say (yell) something at the mic, and it will answer, if your phone is equipped. You can also press a button to answer. The voice of the caller is nice and clear enough to recognize. After talking to a couple of people I called, they said they could tell I was on speaker-phone, but could not tell that I was calling from a motorcycle doing 55mph.
    Now, this pressing buttons can be a pain, because the buttons are inside the helmet on the mic. These buttons are also used to turn the comm on or off, volume control, and music track advance/back. With the chinbar up, no problem. With the chinbar down, problem. To my mind, no problem. Just have to remember which button is + and which is -.
    When I got home I tried pairing with a tablet, my car stereo, and my desktop computer :evil. They all worked. The problem was pairing my phone and another Bluetooth device. But, by reading the directions from the online manual, I got my tab and the phone to work together the way I wanted :deal. I then paired my comm to the other I bought for a riding buddy. Easy-peasy :clap.
    I have not been able to ride since I brought the 3S home, so I can't say about intercom yet. I will update when I have used them as an intercom.
    All in all, I like this set-up. And it was inexpensive.

BEAN
  6. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    I paired the SENA with my ZUMO 550 and my iPhone 4S. Its amazing the difference in quality between the sound from the ZUMO and the Iphone. ( yes I know the ZUMO 550 is mono via Bluetooth.)

I found I can get a little better volume my setting the EQ on the phone to small speakers.

I can make calls from the ZUMO so the voice dialing etc is not necessary and I can see who is calling. ( This is if I ever use this on the GS).

Again I got this just for quick trips on the 999 and GS. But its good to know the 20s will work in this configuration.

Next step is to install in my helmet and ride.
  7. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:
    The Sena 3S only comes packaged with the Quick Start Guide while the complete User's Guide is available to view and download on our website. Also when charging the 3S, you need to unplug it when the charging light turns blue which indicates that it is completely charged.
  8. dr. jones

dr. jones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you do not remove the 3s from the charger, will it harm the device?
  9. SenaBluetooth

Oddometer:
    As with all electronic devices such as smart phones, if you leave the 3S charging when it is at 100% it will reduce the overall battery life.
  10. JamesM

JamesM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Negative. Lithium-Ion batteries do not accept overcharge. There is no tolerance for it in its design. If it allows this, you have created a bad product.

Source:
    [​IMG]
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  11. JamesM

JamesM Been here awhile

Oddometer:

^^Teasing with you guys. In all seriousness, I'm seeing multiple vendors post conflicting information about the active noise canceling. Is there active noise canceling on the 3S like the SMH-10 and 20s? I really want to replace my 20s with something more streamlined (I'm impatient and don't want to wait for the 10U) but I also refuse to leave Sena for the SRC. -Yes, I'm a fanboy.
  12. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I kind of figured that they were mistaken with that post. I would hope, and just can't see them not, that the design would have a charger circuit to ensure overcharging doesn't occur.

Oh, we'll forgive you for going to that school.

j/king. Good job. I'm about to finish my BSEE in 2 months.
  13. AndyE_UK

AndyE_UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 3S installed in a Schuberth S2 and paired to a BMW Navigator V which is also paired to an iPhone 6. The 3S works fine for the Nav prompts and music, and no problems with phone calls routed through the Nav V.

The unit's plenty loud enough with earplugs in even on a naked bike at slightly naughty speeds and I've had no complaints about audio quality on phone calls.

The only issue I had was with the speaker pocket depth on the S2. The 3S speakers are quite thick because of the battery location and I had to enlarge the pockets to get a comfortable fit. Overall I'm really pleased with the unit and definitely recommend it for solo use, I've not tried it as an intercom. :thumb
  14. voorstad

voorstad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any chance these will fit in a Shoei Neotec? I know, I know, Sena 10U is coming, but way to expensive for me.

Or can anyone tell me the diameter and thickness of the speakers? The Sena website lacks this info. Thanks!
  15. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure? Most of the Lithium Ion batteries have charging protection either built in to the battery or to the charger. If you want to dispute that they are safe to overcharge without any protection, I can post several Lithium battery explosions or link to the Boeing fiasco. LiFePo4 is better, but it's still possible to overcharge it and cause damage.

This won't be a problem in real life if you use the supplied charger, since they are designed to work together.
  16. SenaBluetooth

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of photos of the 3S-B in a Shoei Neotec.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. voorstad

voorstad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi SenaBluetooth, thanks a million for the pics, looks great. That will be a no-brainer then.

It is really a pity the 3S has no Universal Intercom, but for the rest this product looks very promising!

One question left. If I pair this unit with another rider, and we get disconnected because of the <200 meter range, will it auto connect as soon as we come in range again? I heard this mentioned as a special feature @ Revzilla for another product, I assumed it would be normal operation, or...?
  18. voorstad

voorstad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or I should read the manual :huh : "...Intercom Reconnection
    If your intercom friend goes out of range while having an intercom
    conversation, you may hear static noise and eventually the intercom will
    be disconnected. In this case, the 3S automatically tries to reconnect
    the intercom every 8 seconds. You will hear high tone double beeps until
    the intercom is reestablished. If you don’t want to make a reconnection,
    press and hold the (-) Button for 1 second to stop the attempt. ..."
  19. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you able to use the +/- buttons while the face cover is down? Any other user issues?

and

Could you show us a pic of where the charging cable is and where you tuck it in? please...???

Thanks
  20. voorstad

voorstad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found out the Sena 3S has 'VOX-phone', but lacks 'VOX-intercom'. Intercom can only be activated by pressing the - button, while the PHONE can be activated by Voice commands. For a device with no outer unit, VOX intercom would be very useful.

Perhaps a nice feature for a firmware upgrade?