SENA 50 series.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SaAdvRider99, Nov 4, 2019.

1. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a three day 1160 mile backroads rip from Philadelphia to se Ohio (roads there are fantastic by the way).

3 riders. Updated 30K units.

Mesh gave us about 5-6 hours of constant use before batteries gave up.

Took an extended late lunch break each day (30 minutes or so) and put them on a battery pack while we were stopped. Got us through the rest of the day each time.

On the third day my brain was a bit fried and I forgot to fast charge in the afternoon so I was forced to run a cable to the battery in my inside jacket pocket for the remainder of the day. It wasn’t noticeable or annoying and worked flawlessly.

We were all also simultaneously paired to our respective phones.

One of my riders uses his 30K every day for commuting and hit slightly less battery life (closer to 4-5 hours) on mesh because his internal battery is probably not in as good shape as the others.

The mesh functionality was flawless. Not a single garbled word the whole trip. Very impressive.

We didn’t try music sharing because just no.

We didn’t shut ours off at all during the day (charging or otherwise) so didn’t run into the needing to turn mesh on again every time we powered up. Just in the mornings. Not a big deal either way.
  2. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    Interesting- ok. That might be reason enough to jump from the 30K up to the 50s after all. I find the 30K acceptable but Would appreciate better I suppose.
  3. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    My (Probably silly!) thought is to pickup a 50S in the future some time and keep my Packtalk Bold. That way if riding with friends that are using the Senna mesh I could just switch the head units & mounts (and probably the mic) and plug into the speakers so it wouldn't be a big deal to change over. It doesn't happen often that I am group riding so not a biggy though.

..Tom
  4. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    Big thanks to gallowaystx and dpike!

I don’t mind paying the extra for the 50 series if it’s that much better (@ $100. more per unit). But that money could go into other stuff if it’s not necessary. Last thing I would like to know is if you can push a button on the older one’s and command the mapping systems to give directions?

Cheers
  5. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    If you’re phone’s voice assistance allows for it then yes.

When you hit the button it’s the same as if you said “hey Siri” - whatever you’re phone is capable of from that point forward is your limitation rather than the Sena per se.

I don’t ride with my phone in a mount but rather a garmin gps so I don’t really use that functionality myself.

I can definitely tell the phone “call my wife” or “dial 911” or “play exile on Main Street” and it will do it.

I am willing to bet that I could say “give me directions to the nearest Gas station” and my phone would do it. Haven’t tested it but you could easily try it without buying a Bluetooth communicator.
  6. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks!
  7. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    Ill go ahead and be that guy - if money isn’t really an issue I would just spring for the 50.

Logic being that If your Sena buddies have mesh capable units then on the rare occasion that you group ride it is 100% better and 200% easier to connect to them with mesh.

If they don’t yet have mesh they will eventually and so you are future proofing. In the meantime you can still Bluetooth connect to the group if you wish - albeit not as seamlessly.

As for the phone functionality they will all behave the same either way.

Just my unsolicited $0.02 and worth exactly that of course.
    OldManSandman likes this.
  8. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    Were there any issues communicating between the 20s and the 50? I've been considering updating my 20s Evo with the trade-in offer, but my wife as the SRL in her helmet. So she's stuck in 20s level comms for now.
  9. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somebody with a 20S Evo can confirm but you would have to press the back button of the SENA to activate Siri/Google assistant...
    We had problem with the following setup: 2x SENA 50R + 1x SENA 20S. Every 10 minutes or so, the voice of all three were becoming robotic to a point where we ended the discussion *but* with just 1x SENA 50R + 1x SENA 20S, everything was perfect for many riding days. On the setup when we were three, we tried a few times and they all ended with the same problem. I sent the informations to SENA but no answer yet on this, it's easy to reproduce the problem so hopefully they will have the same problem and will fix it.

I received a replacement unit, I will be able to update in a few days.
    radon222 likes this.
  10. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I received my 50S dual back yesterday (I'll be splitting it with a friend). I'm now using a Sena 10S, mounted on a Shoei GT-Air. I also have a Shoei Neotec II, with an integral Sena SRL. My first observation on the 50S is that Sena has certainly figured out how to pack these things in smaller boxes than ever before. I did, though, encounter my first frustration, and that was trying to set up the Wi-Fi adapter, as I wanted to update the unit's firmware. No way could I get it set up (I have an iPhone 10X, but have not updated it to iOS 13.5, and I was using the 50S Utility app, and the Sena Wi-Fi Accessories app). I tried more times than I care to remember, and also solicited long-distance help, by text, from a friend in Florida, who has a 50S and an iPhone. I'm no computer whiz, but neither am I tech-shy. It should not be this hard. I finally gave up, and did it the old-fashioned way, using Sena's Bluetooth Device Manager on my Mac. Although that application looks like it was designed in the 1970's, it worked just fine, and my 50S now has the latest firmware installed. I also discovered that I cannot connect the 50S to my Mac using the charging cable with the Wi-Fi adapter in line. It connected just fine with the regular charging cable. As my friend who'll be getting the second 50S said,"I see Sena's starting right where they left off". Hopefully it's onward and upward from here.
  11. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... if she has a Neotec helmet, the 50R fits nicely and is easy to setup (my wife do all the installs, I don't but she said they were very easy to fit in the 3 helmets she installed them in)
    radon222 likes this.
  12. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    So as long as it's just my wife and I we'd be ok. Which is most of time. But if we ride with the club and I want to mesh up with the boyz, then I'd have to shut her out. Hmmm.. that could be good. Or it could be very very bad :lobby
  13. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had same experiences. When the WiFi cable wasn’t working on my computer I changed cables and it worked. why?
    What’s the trick to using the WiFi cable to update?
  14. Kmont

Kmont Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need your 2 cents on the 50. I have the 50s, Garmin XT, iPhone 7+ and RC8 dashboard(KTM1290sar). Too many things to connect. I use the handle bar controls for answering the phone and changing tracks on my music. I like being able to hit the button on the 50s for Siri control. What is the best way to connect? Direct connect phone to XT, 50s and Dash? Then 50s to Dash?

I don't care about music going through XT. I turned off the music on XT. Any ideas on this complicated set up? Garmin said to connect phone direct to XT and phone direct to 50s but not to dash. If not to dash then I cannot use the handle bar controls. Any help is appreciated. The GS dash should be similar.
  15. gianttrack

gianttrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an iPhone and on either the SMH 10 or 30K, I have been saved many times by tapping the phone button and saying, "Directions to...." This is especially useful when everyone decides to go to a new destination for lunch and you get separated from the group. Much faster than finding a place on the GPS and you can do it on the fly, in traffic, effortlessly.
    OldManSandman likes this.
  16. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    Wow that’s pretty sophisticated. Oof.

I ride an r1200rs ‘16 with the old timey non lcd dash so my setup is relatively simple.

Im iPhone X, bmw nav 5, Sena 30K

Personally I connect phone to gps purely for data (weather and traffic) and I connect the phone directly to my Sena. I do not have my Sena connected to the gps at all because it interrupts me too much and I don’t care for voice prompts as I can see the screen. I use Siri and voice commands for managing music and playlists and I use the Sena to skip tracks back and forth (push jog wheel and turn one way or the other does this). I don’t need to have my music displayed on a screen. I don’t jump around on my playlists so I only rarely skip a track - Sena works fine for this.

Yours is an interesting challenge. My .02 might only be worth .01 in this case but I would attempt it the way you suggested. My instinct says try in this order after clearing all legacy connections. I think the order will matter.

From fresh:

Sena to dash
    Phone to dash (test music)
    Phone to Sena (test Siri and make sure music is still playing)
    Phone to Garmin

If you MUST have voice prompts from your gps you might get lucky and this might work through the phone into the dash. If not then I suppose the final step would be...

Garmin to dash

For me as I said above voice prompts are of little interest so I would then also go into the Garmin settings and disable the audio portion of the phone connection (you can on my older one) to eliminate any confusion.

In theory this will still get the Garmin the data it wants.

The dash should get it’s data and control mapping and music pass through (hopefully voice prompts too).

And lastly the phone to Sena should get you the Siri functionality via voice command or “phone button” while getting the music/gps audio via Bluetooth through the dash.

If this is problematic I think you would need to weigh handlebar controls and music on the dash vs Siri - and disconnect the phone from the dash or from the headset.

Personally I would not give up Siri for the convenience and important safety aspect of “call my wife” or “call 911” in the event that Im ejected from the bike and hurt somewhere.

Holy shit that’s long winded - apologies.

Im very curious as to how it works out do do update us please.
  17. Kmont

Oddometer:
    I agree with not giving up Siri. Thanks for the input. I will give it a try. If not, I will take the dash out of the equation.
  18. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What you want to do is "not" possible. By "not", I mean, if you pair your SENA to your dash and your SENA to your Iphone, it will be hit or miss which one will catch the "hey Siri" *if* you leave "Phone" and "Media" enable on your phone paired to the dash. (If you just have media from your phone to your dash, that would work)... For example:

Setup 1: If you do this setup, you lose "Hey Siri" (normal, the SENA is not connected to the phone):
    - SENA -> DASH // Iphone -> DASH // Iphone -> GPS // SENA-GPS

Setup 2: If you do this setup, it's hit or miss what "catches" the "Hey Siri" other than if you disable the phone capability for your dash in your phone but in my case I lose "who's calling" and the phone capabilities from my dash.
    - SENA -> DASH // PHONE -> DASH // SENA -> PHONE // Phone-GPS (SENA to GPS is *out* of the loop)

For me, the perfect scenario would be Iphone (for me it's Android) to SENA = "OK Google" would work. Iphone to dash = I can have my rides saved automatically, see who's calling, have my media shown. SENA to dash is mandatory to hear everything. Phone to GPS to have traffic and weather but it's not reliable the "Setup 2" if you leave the phone capability for both your SENA and dash ON your phone. Complicated but if you want to use the capability of "Hey Siri" + your dash phone capability, it's not working properly. No units can do it so far (Uclear Motion Infinity, Packtalk, SENA 50's)
  19. Kmont

Oddometer:
    So, just take the Dash out of the loop. Then everything will work fine. I love gadgets. I just wish they would all work together. Thanks for the input.
  20. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, just take out the dash out of the loop and everything will work fine.
    Kmont likes this.