SENA 50 series.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SaAdvRider99, Nov 4, 2019.

1. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    I truly believe that 99.999999% of the “problems” that most folks post about are because they don’t actually read the instructions and follow them.
    976AEE54-91D0-44FD-9C1F-6D6083603DCD.jpeg
    dimon and Bob W like this.
  2. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This may be true but recent electronic gadjets have to be useful intuitively to compete. Has anyone read the manual to there Iphone or GPS?

jon
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    their

The answer to the question is "Yes", and I don't even own an Iphone. I usually read downloaded manuals BEFORE I purchase, so I know how an item is expected to function and can hopefully determine if it will meet my needs. The marketing info is generally incomplete if not outright misleading. A product might claim (correctly) that it has a necessary function, but the manual may show that it is very restricted, or difficult to use. The Iphone manual is part of the reason my phone is Android.
  4. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I congratulate you on your completeness of research before buying anything. I don't have time for that with everything. I do read the manual for specific things as needed but have not read my Iphone or Nav V manual.

Jon
  5. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I do, usually before I have the device.

I also already have the manual for my next motorcycle.

..Tom
    EmmEff likes this.
  6. upontheridge

upontheridge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So my son and I have been using a Sena 20s for the past 2 years with no real issue. A bit louder volume is about the only thing that I would like. My son has no issue with his volume. Trying to decide if I should upgrade to a 50s and he just keeps his 20s. Will we have issues connect 50s to 20s. I ride with a couple of other folks that a mix of 10's and 20's. Will I be able to still connect with them. In addition to connecting with my son, I also connect to my phone and to my dedicated phone/media player/gps. Will the 50s still be able to connect to those 2 devices and to another rider using a 20s. Other than volume what other advantages would I get with a 50s. I assume mesh is of no advantage unless I happen to ride with someone who has as 50R or S.
  7. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you just want the additional volume from the 20s i has good luck with uclear speakers, they made a big difference. other than that, the 50s will do everything you are looking for and sound better than the 20s with uclear speakers.
    Bob W likes this.
  8. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are Bluetooth connecting to your son you will not have an optimal experience. You won’t have a choice due to his (and your other riding buddies) remaining in 10/20 series non-mesh comms.

Yes - it will connect in the same way and the button combinations etc will be identical. Your Bluetooth connection will be just fine and largely the same as before. Possibly louder and better sounding due to the speakers and hardware upgrades.

However, and here is the rub, your multitasking experience with your gps and audio player will not be as good as with your 20s which contains a second dedicated Bluetooth radio to handle that. You might find that it interrupts your comms or generally doesn’t perform as well. In fact it will not fundamentally work better than the lowly 10 series when used in this way.

Your best bet would be to buy a dual pack with your son and use the mesh radio to connect for comms thereby leaving the Bluetooth radio dedicated to phone/gps duties and not performing double duty.

In short - you won’t really see the benefit if not utilizing the mesh functionality with a 50r or s or a 30K. In some ways it might be a step backward until your buddies join the club.
  9. bunker

bunker welltheresyerproblem

Oddometer:

So if I understand this correctly, with the 20s Evo when you connect to others you use one Bluetooth radio, when you connect to your devices like your phone you use another Bluetooth radio? Does the 50s have a new type of radio transceiver for comms and a Bluetooth radio for your devices. But if your buddies don't have the latest 50s then you have to share the single Bluetooth channel with your comms and devices?

I'm asking because I have a 20S Evo and considering the trade-up offer

Thanks
  10. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I’m saying

10 series - single radio (Bluetooth) for all jobs

20 series - dual radio (both Bluetooth) 1 strictly for intercom and 1 for device connectivity

30 and 50 series - dual radio (1 mesh and 1 Bluetooth) mesh strictly for intercom and the Bluetooth radio for device connectivity and intercom with legacy Bluetooth systems.

For all intents and purposes - without getting in the weeds of sound quality or ancillary details - you will be *downgrading* the fundamental functionality of the device until your pals step up to mesh radios for intercom.

I hope that makes sense.

The 20s is the best of the legacy Bluetooth devices because of its ability to run 2 concurrent Bluetooth channels.

The current crop of devices remain 2 channel but have upgraded the comms tech to mesh. Their backward compatibility exists but it is limited for all the reasons previously discussed.

Mesh is a HUGE upgrade for comms but it requires all the players to have made the required hardware upgrade.
  11. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently on a 14,000km, three Sena 50, 2 R's and 1 S in the group of 4. Yesterday we had about 4 hours of heavy rain (could say downpour, first time in heavy rain with the 50R's and S), all three Sena 50's stopped working and one is dead. Today two came back to live, one now has static so serious issue with the "very water resistant" statement from Sena. Very disappointing coming from Packtalk's that never had any issues in the rain. I would say, if you ride in the rain, definitely pass and don't buy.
  12. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or, since we have them already, put a glove over them if it starts raining. Seems to be a reasonable accommodation for a clear weakness in manufacturing. Agree, for an item that is supposed to be used outside, rain would be a foreseeable event!
  13. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would accept one "defective" unit but 3 out of 3 is non sense to me... The only one who survived is a Sena 20s but he must have a very good unit, he bought it when it was released and never had a problem in any weather lol. A jacket would help a lot, we emptied at least 8-10ml of water from the 50R and less from the 50S. I thought the front buttons were waterproof but when taping on the unit, water was coming out from the seal.
  14. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    Had a similar experience early on with my 30K - albeit in a proper frog choker. It came back to life and had worked fine since.

I attributed the problem to the interface with the mount rather than the unit itself at the time. On that same occasion everyone in my group (including 10c and 20s units) had issues. It was properly raining.

While I 100% agree that they should be better it has only really happened once for me with probably ~25k miles of usage. I have ridden in less apocalyptic conditions on several occasions since. Generally I find them to be “acceptably” waterproof.

I would term them “water reluctant” rather than “water resistant”.

Admittedly disappointed that they haven’t taken the opportunity to improve them but I am definitely getting the feeling that this has (in practical terms) been a very minor hardware upgrade if at all. Mostly a color change and an iterative aesthetic redesign.

Primarily a major software overhaul specifically around the mesh radio functionality disguised as a whole new piece of equipment. To that end I’m not in a rush to turn my 30K in for a 50s given the major improvement provided by the firmware update.
  15. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sena appears to have taken the same approach as Garmin- instead of fixing the existing hardware/software bugs, they release a new model with a handful of features (admittedly mesh is a pretty big deal though) with it's own set of new bugs and then mostly abandons those with older hardware. Do you honestly think long standing software bugs on the models other than the 50S/R will even be fixed? I don't.
  16. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    This has been going on in the IT industry for some time with the introduction of the "Agile" concept.
  17. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    TBH, this has nothing to do with the development paradigm and everything to do with corporate greed. Firmware bug fixes aren’t revenue producing, new products are. I stopped kowtowing to Garmin 10 years ago and I won’t even initially engage with Sena for the same reason.
  18. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sad, yesterday à second 50 quit (the 50s) and today we are currently configuring/hooking up the packtalk's the new headsets because this morning my girlfriend 50r died in another rain storm so all 3 out of 3 50 series died after 1 to 3 days of rain and we still have 10,000km to go. If you don't ride in heavy rain your good but otherwise, stay away, we emptied the 50s yesterday night and there was a lot of water inside, sad because I really liked the mesh of the sena vs Cardo. I will already be at my 3rd sena 50r replacement fwiw
    Oeths likes this.
  19. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    That really is a shame. They should provide a condom in the box
  20. DinEW

DinEW Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I will definitely stick with the 30k rather than trade up. Sounds like the 50 series is less water resistant than the 30k. Hopefully the 50 series is short lived and Sena comes out with a water proof version. I don’t understand why this wasn’t a priority in developing the 50 series.