SENA 50 series.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SaAdvRider99, Nov 4, 2019.

1. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend sais she might be able for the 50r's to make a jacket but the antenna would not pop (but it's almost useless so that would work). It's still a shame and since I do almost 50,000km a year and many many days in the rain, I can't imagine 3/3 defective how many units will they replace me under warrantee :(
  2. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would popping it off the mount and putting it in a baggie while riding in the rain fix the issue?
  3. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was only half kidding when I suggested a condom.

Sena should provide a látex elasticated cover of some kind. Like a formfitting shower cap. Something that you can pull over it while it’s in its mount to keep the water out when it’s really torrential.

Or (alternatively) actually make it water tight...
  4. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think waterproof like most Cardo units would be a good thing....
  5. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 50s won't charge. I have the v1.03 firmware. Is there a trick I'm missing? Charged fine when I first got it.

This thing worked well with my SR-10, so I'm going to have to stay with Sena.

EDIT: Did a paperclip reset and got it up to the 40s. The blue light was on. I don't know if it will charge any more once the blue light comes on. I left it turned on and plugged it back in. I'll check it again in an hour. If it comes up to 90-100 the reset fixed it.

EDIT 2: Plugged it back in, even though the blue light was on earlier. Waited no more than 20 minutes and rechecked it. It was in the 90s. The fix is a paperclip reset. I did NOT do a full factory reset. Also, it appears the unit will continue to charge with the blue light on. The last time I left the unit on, and it stayed on. It has been shutting off. Shutting off because the power was low? I don't know if charging it with the unit powered on did anything or not. I'm going to be checking the charge with the app before I leave, and topping it off if necessary.
  6. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

gallowaystx likes this.
  7. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OMG, purchased another 50R (now my 3rd one with 2 other people having dead 50R's and 50S) since i'm still on my trip and rode in a rain storm yesterday, the brand new 50R died againnnnnnnnn! People, stay away from the 50 series for now if you ride in the rain, major manufacturing problem. I'm really wondering how many defective units I will have during the warranty, I now need to argue with them about paying for shipping to send the units back when I come back... Sad...
    Oeths likes this.
  8. infinityzg

infinityzg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just when I thought I might take the jump and go from PTB to Sena 50 Series.. the only reason: My riding buddies are on Sena :-D
    You are realy having a bad time with Sena!
  9. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I left SENA a few years ago because of this exact reason (it was not that bad though on previous SENA units I had) but liked the buttons better on the SENA so I told myself "Why not" but will definitely go back to Cardo. I ride whatever the conditions are and now on my 3rd unit "already", my girlfriend 50R also died last week and she's in the process of having an exchange, very VERY disappointed and it just doesn't make sense.

Whoever is considering the SENA 50 series, if you are riding in the rain (I would say heavy rain), wait (or even skip the 50), otherwise, best mesh on the market. My ride is a 1250GS which is not "well" protected but definitely not the worst I had so no reason the units keeps dying on me when in heavy rain and I could shutdown the unit but I cannot remove it (the way the 50R is hooked). Oh well ;)
  10. BluegrassPicker

BluegrassPicker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden with my 50s in torrential rain with no problems. Not intending to downplay those with problems, just another data point...
  11. infinityzg

infinityzg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    haha same here! I mean R1250GS ... yeah I think I am going to pass and build myself a universal mesh unit for Cardo <-> Sena "talk" :-D
  12. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I got caught in the rain yesterday, started to panic, took it off and put in my tank bag. Then my buddy said, no we need to talk for safety. Put it back on, was good. No issues, but, was not in a torrential downpour for hours either. We had trees above us and the rain passed in about a half hour. Still, should be water proof, really Sena, did you think these were not going to be used outside? Seriously?
  13. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about a masking tape "hood" along the top and sides. Might help deflect the water a little bit.
  14. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the black harbor freight gloves that I was going to put over and tie up with a twist tie to make it somewhat water proof. I did have a plan!
  15. chikosneff

chikosneff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I received the 50s as a gift but I'm debating if I should exchange for a Cardo packtalk bold w jbl speakers. Did anyone try both and can please tell me if there is a substantial difference in music volume and quality and which one has the best voice commands? The 50s wouldn't work flawlessly with Google assistant, I'd say it worked 6-7 times out of 10. Also laggy when pressing the phone buttons and waiting for the assistant to start listening. I will try again today after increasing the vox sensitivity, and I will give a shot at siri to see if that's any better. Also setting up the wifi cable was a nightmare..
  16. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After trying out my new Sena 50S for the last week I can say it is mostly a disappointment. Better quality sound than my 30K but quality of connecting to my phone for calling was no better and intercom still sucks badly.

Quality of intercom is such a disappointment my two buddies and I stopped trying to communicate. Either the sound was crackling or we simply could not connect.

Phone calls to my wife worked fine half the time. The other half of the time calls would go through but the Sena did not pick up that fact. My wife could hear me swearing at the Sena.

Voice commands are great ... when they work. "Hey Sena Play Music" works 1/4 of the time. "Hey Sena Volume Up" works fairly well.

The wifi updating is useless. I used my PC and the Sena app to do the update after giving up on the wifi and phone app.

The 50 still has most of the problems as my 30k had.
    Oeths likes this.
  17. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Etmotic ear buds, and the Sena seems to sound better than my PTB. I noticed it right away. Siri engages every time on the Sena (as long as only phone 1 is connected). It won't work at all if I have the SR-10 in Phone 2. With the PTB I have to make several tries to get Siri to work.
  18. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the 50R for 1 week.
    I'm fairly disappointed.
    I only can comment about the speaker and voice command.
    Cardo JBL speaker still sound better. Better Soundstage and more details.
    SENA voice command is still miles behind Cardo.

I sold the Sena and keep the Cardo.

scottydawg likes this.
  19. marcmarc

marcmarc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why are you still buying this shit?
    KevinP65 and EmmEff like this.
  20. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 50 is still working great.