SENA 50 series.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SaAdvRider99, Nov 4, 2019.

1. jscibello

jscibello n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for some help - I just upgraded from a pair of 20s to a pair of 50s. It is for my wife and I, she rides as a passenger. I have a Zumo 595 that has my music on it and GPS directions. I would like to share the music with my wife. Easy with the 20s. With the 50s couldn't get it to work with Bluetooth. Connected with mesh. I tried several pairings on the 50s to get it to work. Could get Music and able to share music but not get spoken directions from GPS. Contacted Support and they told me it is not possible. Will only do 2 things at once. So Music & Directions - no sharing, or Music & Sharing but no Directions. Has anyone been able to do this. Thank You.
  2. Bob W

Bob W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had my first ride with my 50s yesterday, 3 sena 20s and 3 50s. I was impressed how easy it was to pair us up. Not impressed by the 6 hour battery life but had my charging cable with me so charged as I rode. I had plenty of warning of low battery.
    grandelatte likes this.
  3. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sending mine back with a battery problem. I should have sent it back within the 30 day period.
  4. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last weekend we were in a group ride, torrential rain (I seem to be unlucky this year with the rain) , 1 SENA 50R (my buddy SENA) died. Mine and my girlfriend 50R were not affected. My girlfriend made a waterproof jacket for it so didn't had any problems yay (but it's ugly)! A SENA 20S also decided to say non stop "Say a command"... Hope SENA will make a waterproof unit next...
    Oeths likes this.
  5. grandelatte

grandelatte Consistently Inconsistent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Battery life sucks. And I thought Bluetooth sound quality was a lot better than the mesh.
  6. hmpthree

hmpthree n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello All. Watching this thread. I have the Sena 20S's and they work as well as everyone has posted. Thinking that the 50's would be all that but what I am reading, I'll just be happy with the 20's for now.

I will say that when my 20's have gotten soaked and stopped working, placing them on the rooms ac or heat discharge vent has dried them out overnight and they work as well as they did prior to the bath.

Anyway, just saw this "Mesh Adapter" posted. https://www.sena.com/product/plus-mesh

Has anyone bit yet?
  7. mooreph2

mooreph2 BARBENDER

Oddometer:
    SENA 50R connectivity

I have a 2019 BMW850gsa w/Nav 6

If you are a BMW rider with a TFT screen, NAV 6, iPhone and you want to hear NAV voice directions and want HEY SIRI to work, then you will be disappointed.

Your choice is NAV voice or HEY SIRI, but not both.

Yes, I have contacted SENA and they said “Your choice is NAV voice or HEY SIRI, but not both” or contact Garmin.

The SENA is coordinating the TFT, iPhone and the NAV 6 with their headset, it’s their responsibility to have everything working together.

UPDATE 8/13/2020
    SENA started working on this issue 7/21/2020
    As of 8/13 they are still working on it. They tell me they have their Tier 2 Team working on it.
    UPDATE 8/24/2020
    They are still working on it. They tell me they have moved it to their Top Tier person with no ETA.
    UPDATE 9/19/2020
    They are still working on it with no ETA .
    UPDATE 10-1-2020
    Sena sent me an email with instructions for pairing to try
    I have had a back operation so I will need to wait until November to try the new pairing protocol

FINAL UPDATE 12/3/2020

Sena has finely concluded that the 50R can only pair to two devices.

So, pairing to only two devices and not waterproof being I asked to return it.

They agreed and gave me a full refund.
    Big Carrot likes this.
  8. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another question, I have the 50S, and buddy has the 30 with the mesh updates done. Could not connect in open mesh? Mine said open mesh channel 1? I think that was the problem, not sure how to get it to go back to just open mesh? I am sure it in the manual somewhere, but, it has evaded me so far.
  9. ManniTom

ManniTom n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi to all, nice forum here!
    sorry to start my first post with a question...

With the 50R, is it possible to use a mesh intecom connection with one or two buddies, hear music from an iPhone and hear turn comands from an tomtom gps, all with audio multitasking, e.g. everything at the same time?
  10. Bob W

Bob W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ManniTom Sena Mesh starts in channel 1 so maybe your buddy with the 30 hasn't updated to the new Mesh to be compatible with the 50?
  11. ManniTom

ManniTom n00b

Oddometer:
    ??
  12. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    He said he did, but, it did not work so, one might be led to think otherwise.
  13. Old Nuke

Old Nuke Flatlander

Oddometer:
    The voice commands on my new 50S don't work very well either, especially on the highway and hit and miss off the bike. Is there a secret to the mike placement?
  14. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the second time, I am getting this repeating message of "Intercom failed to connect, try again later" over and over and over. Done nothing. Riding alone. Listening to iPhone music.

I thought maybe my jacket collar was making contact but that's not it. I thought maybe standing up and sitting too fast would set it off but that wasn't it either. Going through the Sena manual now but not sure I will find anything for it. Have shut it off and turned it back on multiple times but keeps doing it.

Also... can't get the iPhone music very loud even after using the volume controls on the Sena App.
    Big Carrot likes this.
  15. andeh83

andeh83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but if you've not already tried it... go into the iPhone volume settings and make sure the volume is set to max, with any of the volume limiting settings disabled. I had to do this on mine with my 20s and it helped. The limiter was on by default, I guess in case it thinks you're listening to it via normal head phones and could damage your ear drums (or, at least, to avoid the risk of anyone sueing them for that)
    eddyturn likes this.
  16. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ also check the volumes when the system is on and everything is connected. Phones can have different volumes for different connected devices.

As for the failed to connect message that might be a hardware failure in the intercom wheel/button.
    eddyturn likes this.
  17. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I often got "Intercom failed" while trying to reach my girlfriend and we both had problems with our 50R's and both were replaced (not connecting first, died from rain both, mine twice) so some issues even with two 50R's...
  18. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s Amazing to me how Sena still has a following after their 30k flop. They come out with their latest and greatest and here we are again with no waterproof unit and issues right out the gate. There is a reason people are leaving Sena and going to the Cardo’s. The 50 series will flop just like the 30k did. Do yourself a favor and buy the right communicator to start with. Cardo. Nuff said. I wanted thousands of dollars with Sena before I saw the light.
    Oeths likes this.
  19. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    Pick your poison, they all have issues, go read the Cardo thread, same crap as here.
    HAL 9000 and JMforPres like this.
  20. TOPEC

TOPEC n00b

Oddometer:
    bumping this up, long time lurker first time poster. recently got my 50S, so far havnt run into any bugs/issues yet, but i do have 1 problem with the jog dial. It seems like most of the time when i turn my head left for shoulder checking or to make sure theres no on coming cross traffic, i some how adjust the jog dial which maxes out the volume. The unit is mounted on my helmet roughly at 9 o'lock position, should i be mounting it further forward or back? pics on line seems to show the unit mounted almost at the 10/11 o'clock position.