SENA 50 series.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SaAdvRider99, Nov 4, 2019.

1. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am here to report that it is impossible to overestimate the size of the bag of pure suck that is Sena software and documentation of same.

That is all.

Carry on.
    Big Carrot and eddyturn like this.
  2. Big Carrot

Big Carrot 19 GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a 50R, and it's the single most frustrating tech "gadget" that I have ever tried to use. It is way too complicated, and it seems to have a mind of its own. I've considered yanking it off, and tossing it during a ride, but I didn't want to leave garbage on the side of the road.
  3. Big Carrot

Big Carrot 19 GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine does this too, and it drives me INSANE!
    eddyturn likes this.
  4. MPNX2

MPNX2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a SENA 30 that the wife and I used owned the units for about 9 months and git rid of them. Most frustrating thing ever for something that seems so simple to acheive. Im looking at the Cardo units now but am a bit apprehensive due to my experience with the SENA units.
  5. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    the 20s and the 50s have been the easiest comms for me. the 30s were a trainwreck and the cardo units left the mic open WAY too much so we got a lot of wind/helmet noise. i use them in bluetooth mode only with my wife as pillion so i'm not asking a whole lot. one thing that NO comm has been able to effectively do is music sharing, where we can listen to the same thing AND have open mics to still be able to talk without having to switch mode or touch anything.

the 50s has had the best audio volume for me, i wear earplugs and don't have to turn it all the way up like it had to on the 20s. overall i'm happy with them, but if a unit that has proven, simple music sharing comes along i'll switch.
    MrVvrroomm and dimon like this.
  6. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    These things are a PITA to use. I have a PackTalkBold for my wife and a Sena 50s for me. Hopefully I will be able to use the universal bluetooth to connect us. I think after you do it once, it is a piece of cake. I had to update the PTB to get it to go into sync mode like it is supposed too.
  7. DinEW

DinEW Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dad and I just must be lucky. We both have the 30k and have never had any issues. We keep the firmware up to date but never needed to update because of any problems. I use the Sena app on my iPhone to connect and now they always connect automatically when both are turned on. We used the mesh connection this year for the first time to free up Bluetooth abilities and it worked flawlessly also. We have been 100% happy with our Sena’s. Not sure if it is just dumb luck they work fine for us or is it because I use the iPhone app to connect?
  8. BluegrassPicker

BluegrassPicker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 50s works great. I am a big fan of the cable that handles all of the software updates.
  9. Old Nuke

Old Nuke Flatlander

Oddometer:
    I have a 20S EVO with a Mesh+ on my older helmet and a 50S on my new helmet. The mesh works as advertised on both helmets. The 50S has the better sound of the two. Voice commands on both are useless. The commands work sometimes off the bike, but on the bike.....forget it. Other than the voice commands, they have served me well. I'll stick with them.
    Lost-Again and Bob W like this.
  10. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had a 50S for about six months, but never had a chance to try out the mesh intercom until this weekend. I should also add that I had the unit replaced, under warranty, last August, because the voice command function did not work. On Saturday, I went for an all-day ride (9 ½ hours) with three friends. Three of the four of us had the 50S, and were trying mesh for the very first time. Here are a few thoughts:

Connecting with my two friends in Open Mesh mode was simple, fast, and seamless (at least once we explained to the one who didn't do his homework, how to turn on Mesh Intercom). Audio was very clear, with no pops, crackle, hissing etc., It was noticeably better than standard Bluetooth intercom I had been used to on SENA units (SMH-10, 10S and the 50S). I was rider #4 in a group of four. If someone moved out of range, reconnecting was seamless. Also, the ability to easily turn off the mic, but still hear the other riders was a big plus (great for those about to sneeze, cough, clear their throat incessantly). All was great, except for battery life! No surprise there, I guess. I had charged my device a few days earlier, using an Anker battery (as a test of a new battery pack). I assume it was fully charged, because the light on the 50S had changed from red to blue. I left home at 7:00 in the morning, and turned on the device, but did not turn on the mesh intercom. My device was paired with my iPhone 12 and my Nav VI GPS (I did not play music at any time during the day). I first turned on mesh intercom at my friend's house, a little after 7:30. We then added the third, and fourth, riders to the mix at a gas station a little after 8:30. One of those last two had a 50S, so three of us were using Open Mesh mode. I would say less than an hour after we left the gas station, I got a low battery warning. The other two did not. I was quite surprised this happened so soon in the day, notwithstanding the fact we were talking quite a bit (the novelty of the whole mesh thing, I guess). I did not wait to find out how long I could go before the unit went dead. As it urned out, one of the group got a leak in his rear tire, not long after I got the low battery warning. I recharged my device with the battery pack while we were fixing his flat tire (I think I re-charged it for maybe 25 minutes). I got a second low battery warning later in the day, as did one of the other two 50S users. The next time we took a break, we all connected our devices to battery packs, and used them that way while riding. We continued powering them that way, until we got home, at around 4:30. Using them while tethered to a battery pack (mine was in my tank bag) wasn't that bad, but it certainly defeats the ease-of-use of a battery-operated device. I suspect that next time out, I'll turn the thing off at gas stops etc., if only just turning off Mesh Intercom Mode. I also imagine that we might talk less, given we've put these things through their paces.

On a related note, I want to add something about the Wi-Fi adapter. When I got my first 50S months ago, I could never get that bloody thing set up, so I reverted to the tried and true SENA device manager App on my Mac, to update the firmware. One of my buddies got his 50S for Christmas, and he too could not get the Wi-Fi adapter set up, a very frustrating experience. He then searched for videos on YouTube, and discovered, among other things, that you will not be able to set up the Wi-Fi adapter if your home Wi-Fi network's name contains a hyphen, numbers, or any other special characters. Once he learned that, he had to create a guest Wi-Fi network, and give it a name using only letters. Once he did that, the rest was straightforward (following the 50S Utility App). Yesterday, I decided to once again try to set up that Wi-Fi adapter. Since my home Wi-Fi network had a hyphen in its name, it would not show up on the list of available networks during the setup process. So, I did what my friend did, and set up a guest network, and used only letters in the network name. Once I did that, it was smooth sailing. I updated the 50S firmware from 1.0.3 to 1.0.6, and I also updated the firmware on the Wi-Fi adapter itself (to 1.0.1). The other observation I would make is that, at some point, since I bought mine, SENA has stopped including a standard power & data cable in the box, and supplies just the cable with the Wi-Fi adapter. I, and several of my friends, got both cables (one with the Wi-Fi adapter, and one without. Both cables are USB to USB-C). At least three people I know, who have bought the 50S more recently, only got the Wi-Fi adapter cable. That said, SENA sells the standard cable for $5.95 (just look at the accessories for the 50S on SENA's site).

Addendum: the other thing I'd say is that accessing Siri, by tapping on the "phone" button on the 50S is very useful. And, given how precious battery life is when using Mesh intercom, seems like a better alternative than using the 50S voice commands.
    Bernie Echt and Kmont like this.
  11. BluegrassPicker

Oddometer:
    How did you update the firmware on the wifi adapter? does it do that itself?
  12. Kmont

Kmont Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every time I charge mine with the WIFI adaptor it automatically checks and updates software.
  13. BluegrassPicker

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    Yes mines is doing that - I was referring to this in the post above: "I also updated the firmware on the Wi-Fi adapter itself (to 1.0.1)."

---- Ok I figured it out - it's done in the upper left hand corner of the app with the cable connected to wifi. Thanks for the info about the new version
  14. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it just showed up in the 50S App as being available, along with the available update for the 50S. Since I had just completed the setup, I effectively did those firmware updates manually, by clicking on them in the Utility App.
  15. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a 50S from Revzilla after selling my Neotec2. Does anyone know if this will work with my SC-HR-01 remote I used with my SRL2?
  16. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wife and I went out on a little ride today. We have recently installed the 50s units on our helmets to replace our 20s units. I have had these since September and have experienced the open mic and static. The static gets worse the further apart we get. I am updating the software now from 1.0.4 to 1.0.7. I wonder if that will fix this? She and I both only have our iPhones connected to the units so it is not like We are trying to pair a bunch of gadgets.

it is a shame that Sena cannot get this right out of the box. BTW we have the Cardo Pac Talk Bold with JBL speakers and have the same experience.

is there a better comm system out there? I used to run the autocomm system years ago. Got tired of all the cables.
  17. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Sounds like youre getting wind across the Mic. Put on a Dead Cat and reposition the Mic. Also, is the Mic uni-directional on the Sena? (look for an arrow on the end of the Mic)
    Do you have the Neck Curtain installed on the helmet? If not, put it on.
  18. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have done all of the above. Even standing across the yard from my wife with our helmets on we both get the same static and open mic situation.

I will perform the standard factory reset and fault reset and try again.
    Migolito likes this.
  19. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    try using bluetooth instead of mesh.
    mesh connections are always lousy to me.
  20. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey man how are you!?
    Were you able to pair the 50s with the cardo?
    How did you do it?
    I ve been trying to pair my cardo with my friends 50s but it seems we can’t find the “phone 2 “ connection. With the 30k we used to use the phone 2 paring in the Sena and the universal option in the cardo but for some reason we can’t in the 50s.
    Any help is welcome!

Thanks!