SENA 50 series.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SaAdvRider99, Nov 4, 2019.

1. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We’re you able to test a 30K with mesh 2.0 update? How does it compare to a 50s?
  2. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes and the 30K with the update is in my opinion probably the same as the 50R since I haven't noticed any difference.

Something I didn't talked in my review is the use of "OK Google" and "Hey Siri". It works fine when it's working. Most of the time, my "no mans land" was using either of them... I was even able to reproduce it. If you are listening to music and say "OK Google" and then stop talking and immediately try to stop or resume your music, I ended up in the "no mans land" I was talking about (every button you would touch would make a sound but you would be stuck with a non-responding unit). I was able to reproduce the problem on an iPhone 8, a Google Pixel 4XL and an Huwaeii P20Pro.
  3. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing !
    One question, is the dumbed battery warning system same as 30K? Shut down within 1 minute after the warning voice....

4. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you - that’s what I was beginning to assume. I am not going to make any hardware moves until someone can show positively that there’s a compelling reason to do so.

Have you found any functionality that has been broken or made worse since the update?

Incidentally - per virtual assistant - on both the 30K and the 20s one touch of the “phone” button on the back of the unit has me talking to Siri so the “new” virtual assistant seems a hit over hyped.
  5. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Battery warning is definitely better and adequate, I didn't checked the exact % but it's not like the 30k and 20s. You have at least 25 minutes maybe even bit more... It's a nice improvement. Scala on the other is too conservative, you can do 3hrs on low battery lol.

For now three things are broken: the inability to contact the other 50R on a 3 way intercom is a major issue for us and it never happened to me on the 20S 30K or Packtalk. Also when we are on Bluetooth, there is a lot of noise as soon as you add anything other than two 50R's for an unknown reason. We even tried resetting the two 50R and the 20S. Lots of noise if you have the parallel audio enabled (this was tested with the combination of 2 50R's, 1 50R + Sena 20s and another 50R with SENA 10S so they need to fix this up because for now, a few issues.
  6. Kmont

Kmont Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I will be using the unit to play music mainly (when riding alone). But I will also be communicating with up to 3 20s'. We usually talk all four the entire ride. Will there be a lot of noise?
  7. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For us, we tried several scenarios:
    SENA50R-1 + SENA50R-2: Other than "hit or miss" "Intercom not available" for an unknown reason (reported by other SENA 50R/S users already), works fine and in mesh, was almost flawless (i.e.: If you establish a bluetooth intercom and then switch to mesh, you will hear every ~10 seconds "Mesh intercom de-activated, Mesh intercom activated", pretty sure a firmware update will solve that)

SENA50R-1 + SENA50R-2 + SENA20S-1 + SENA20S-2 and it was not working properly. The sound after a few minutes was distorted to a point we would not understand each other. We then tried:

SENA50R-1 + SENA50R-2 + SENA20S-1 with the same problem. I then tried:

SENA50R-2 + SENA20S-1 and it worked perfectly for a whole afternoon

SENA50R-1 paired to SENA50R-2 paired to SENA10S. If SENA50R-1 or SENA10S establish a communication between them, SENA50R-2 was always given "Intercom not available" when trying to call SENA50R-1 (that is paired with). This is my biggest complaint because I really needed to talk to SENA50R-1 once but was unable to call her because she was in a communication with SENA10S and for an unknown reason, I was given "Intercom not available" permanently. Had to use "OK Google" and use my mobile to call her... Not very useful when at Deal's Gap (and many places in fact) with no mobile service...

Unfortunately, I should have tried SENA50R + 2 SENA 20S's but I didn't (i.e.: Excluding one 50R from the equation) ... Every tests we made was all together or just with one SENA 20S. As said earlier, with one SENA 20S and one SENA 50R, it works fine. 2 SENA 50R + 1 SENA 20S, not working properly, same with 2 SENA 50R + 2 SENA 20S's.

Sorry for people who have no experience with intercom's and that tries to follow lol
  8. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had a group of eight or so with a mix of updated 30k’s and a couple 50S this past weekend. Probably the best experience yet doing group intercom using Mesh 2.0. No hour long “pairing party”, no “popcorn” noise, and pretty good distance.

Overall, it just worked surprisingly well compared to every other time tried to do a group intercom. Non-updated 30k’s were not able to join the mesh. Probably could have bridged them in via Bluetooth or something, but that would defeat the purpose of just clicking the mesh button to join an open mesh group.
    GrumpyOne, dimon and DinEW like this.
  9. Kmont

Kmont Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you adjust the volume on the 50r and 50s? I have the 20s and I just rotate the knob.
  10. DinEW

DinEW Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is great news! So far I haven’t seen any reason to trade in my 30k. I am very happy and grateful to Sena for supporting the 30k and for not abandoning their previous customers.
  11. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    the 50s the same way as the 20s, the 50r with the buttons.
    Kmont likes this.
  12. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how much of an upgrade the 50S over the 30K actually is.

I was hoping to find some pics of the internals to compare against the 30K (like this one: https://fccid.io/S7A-SP46/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-3573907), but haven't seen anything online yet.

Looking at the specs alone and all I can see is Bluetooth 5.0 being the only difference besides some minor cosmetic changes. USB-C connector is nice, because I have always hated flimsy microUSB connectors. Also includes the wifi enabled cable. I guess they also consider the "Hey Siri" a new feature that may or may not be part of the 30k firmware update(?). Tested "Hey Siri" and passed through without clicking the phone button, and it worked as I hoped it would.

Being the sucker that I am, I purchased the 50S (already own the 30K and a 20S) and have no complaints as of yet. It may pair up with my 1200GS TFT/phone faster and more reliably than with the 30K, but it could also just be a fluke that will disappoint at some point in the future.
    GrumpyOne and dimon like this.
  13. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably a root cause for most? of the problems people have experienced with group rides. Up until the recent wifi-connected chargers, updating the firmware was solely based on self-initiative and technical know-how...very understandable to have a variety of firmware versions out there.

I don't do group rides but I've had no issues with mesh on two 50S's. Best reception/range I've had to date between two bikes and the cleanest intercom too.
  14. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the new 50's can you ditch the speakers and plug in something else?

I ride with noise cancelling earphones and on my 20 it was easy to unplug the speakers and plug in the earphones. I've clicked all over the Sena website without finding an answer to this question.
  15. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Yes, exactly the same as the 20S.
  16. DinEW

DinEW Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    From what I read on their site, 50s can accept ear buds and the 50r doesn’t.
  17. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:

To use earbuds, the 50R requires a compatible accessory which is the 10R - Earbud Adapter Split Cable (10R-A0101).
  18. kwthom

kwthom Fully inoculated!

Oddometer:
    Looking at the cable mentioned, it appears to be an 'either-or' condition.

Either the Earbud Adapter Split Cable -or- the internal speakers in the helmet.

The 50S is the -and- condition.
  19. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else having issues with phone calls being heavily robotic in both directions? iphone 11 Pro -> TFT -> 50 R.

edit - Sena 10C it replaced didn't do this and was very clear.
  20. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The robotic phone calls are hit or miss so far on the 50R.

Battery update: Yesterday, Bluetooth Intercom only, no music, 1 phone call of 17 minutes: 5h29mins low battery, dead after 6h11. For me, 6h11 is a let-down compared to ~11 hours I was getting with the Scala Packtalk in Bluetooth intercom.
    MGG, Oeths and _Gir_ like this.