SENA 50 series.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SaAdvRider99, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I buy the new speakers for my 30K? Device has always worked fine for me except sound is a little too quite when using earplugs and a lot of wind noise.
  2. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I can't tell the difference between the speakers on the 50S and 30K. With earplugs I doubt you would either.
    Ocho NA likes this.
  3. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW I’m pretty sure it’s the same mount so presumably the speakers should work with the mount you have.

I have a 30K as well I find the volume acceptable but the speakers don’t fit my shoei helmet very well. These are supposed to be slightly thinner and smaller so I’ll make the change. The volume is likely more dependent on the device than the speakers themselves.

If I read correctly they are only $20 so worth a flyer.

Apropos of this thread my riding group went out last weekend with upgraded 30ks and reported the absolute best mesh experience. 5 riders zero problems of any kind.

Encouraging given that when it’s all said and done that’s my most critical use case. I haven’t found too many problems with Bluetooth functionality from device to device.
    DinEW likes this.
  4. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my 360 mile commute to work starting with a full battery my Cardo will be at 80% charge left on arrival 5.5 hours later. The Packtalk Bold JBL battery life has never been an issue for me.
  5. DinEW

DinEW Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    With blue tooth intercom I have rode all day with my dad and both of us with 30k’s and never a second thought about battery level. I understand it might be an issue in mesh but the quick charge at lunch time would make that a non issue. I would go with the 50s if I ever upgraded just so it’s easier with earbuds but the 50s is also supposed to have better battery life.
    Kmont likes this.
  6. DinEW

Oddometer:
    I gotta ask, were you commuting by yourself or were you riding with someone? I would think by yourself since on your way to work so you were just using your Cardo for music? You don’t use much battery in either Cardo or Sena to just listen to music.
  7. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    That’s a helluva commute
    EmmEff, Oeths and kwthom like this.
  8. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be fair, I used the same comparison. Bluetooth intercom on both the SENA (6h11) and Cardo Packtalk (11h01). Mesh gave me even a lower battery life (see review) and for me it's still insufficient. The Packtalk battery is gem.

I see no reason to updgrade a 30K -> 50R/S ... If you have a 20S and do group rides with people with mesh, it's been said in my review and by others, the mesh network of the 30k and 50r/s is the best (outperform the Packtalk's). Other than that, I think the Packtalk is still a better unit but harder to operate with gloves definitely!
  9. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Never had any battery life issues with the Senas I've owned (10C, 20S, 30k and now 50S) when just listening to music and talking on the phone. Easily a full day. Bluetooth intercom, well rarely worked well enough to say I've used it successfully for a full day, but it was definitely easier on the battery than Mesh. Mesh seems to actually work for intercom, at the downside of killing the battery in ~3-5 hours I'd say of constant use.
  10. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... "easily a full day" ... What is "a full day" for you because none of the units you mentionned last "easily a full day", sorry. Had 20S, 30K, 50R, probably ~150,000km on them (I would need my spreadsheet to be exact but anyway). A full day for me is 8-9am to 4-5pm.
  11. Kmont

Kmont Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need advice from someone who is very good with the way bluetooth works. I have the 50s, Garmin XT, KTM 1290sar RC8 dash and an iPhone 7plus (Upgrading when new 5G unit arrives). I can answer my phone, change volume and advance music tracks with handle bar controls when iPhone and 50s is connected to KTM dash . If I connect the Sena to Garmin sometimes the music doesn't come through the Sena but plays on the speaker on the Garmin. I can turn on and off the sena several times and then it pops up on the sena.

How does bluetooth adjust priority from one device to the other. With these four devices which ones should be connected to which and which ones should't be connected? Thanks in advance.
  12. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    This mirrors my sentiments and experiences exactly. Haven’t yet tried mesh 2.0 but can typically get about 5 -6 hours of mesh on my 30K.

I do not multitask though - I only listen to music if I’m solo and not in comms with other riders. I rarely take calls. Bluetooth only functionality for solo riding has never really disappointed me.

I also stop for lunch and to stretch my legs every couple of hours, and I periodically have to refuel the bike of course. So I chuck my sena on a battery pack (even just once for a 20 minute period) during one of these and I’m good the whole day of group riding. I have also ridden with a small battery pack charging it on the go on occasion - it’s no big deal.

To ME personally the primary use of these brand new fancy and expensive units is seamless multi rider comms. If the new Sena mesh implementation truly nails this aspect then I am satisfied even at the expense of needing to briefly fuel it up once during a very long day.

For simple solo riding there are many cheaper units mentioned here that can handle music and calls for the whole day. Even intercom with one other rider. Shit my 10 year old cardo g4 can still do that flawlessly today.
    nobody0101 and dimon like this.
  13. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might be able to go into bluetooth settings on your phone, click the info for each device and enable/disable features you don't want the phone to do with that specific device.
    Kmont likes this.
  14. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone test these out ?

v1.0.1
    May 15, 2020
    • Minor bug fix with sharing music during Mesh Intercom
    • Minor bug fix with Bluetooth Intercom when Mesh Intercom is on
  15. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did 1.0.2 (I know 1.0.1 is on the site but if you go with the Bluetooth manager you will get 1.0.2) and it does NOT solve a bug I reported (On a Bluetooth intercom, when switched to Mesh, it was continuously saying "Bluetooth device disconnected", 10 to 30 seconds later "Mesh intercom disconnected, Bluetooth intercom connected"). I don't have the firmware history for 1.0.2 but it did NOT solved this problem, unfortunately.

Edit: I thought "Minor bug fix with Bluetooth Intercom when Mesh Intercom is on" was fixing this...
  16. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I consider a "full day" of riding about the same. I still stand by my estimations, without being the sort of person who is going to break out excel to show my work.
    gallowaystx likes this.
  17. DinEW

Oddometer:
    Same here. When my dad and I rode to the Death Valley Rendezvous this year from New Mexico we would start riding around 9:00 and finish around 4:00 or so. Never turned the units off when we would stop or charge them. Never checked how much battery was left at the end of the day but neither of us ever had a dead battery. Granted, we didn’t talk much. I would sometimes listen to music.
  18. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    I rode yesterday from 10am to 7pm listened to music all day and took two phone calls of about ten minutes a piece. 30K.

Didn’t check the battery level but lasted all day with no low battery warning.
  19. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a frustrating time pairing one of the two 50S's wifi charging adapters. During setup, my phone would immediately disconnect from the adapter after briefly establishing connecting saying there is "no internet access" and thus preventing the app from staying connected long enough to complete the setup.

Tried, iphone, ipad, google pixel, finally an old Nexus tablet with a manually assigned IP was able to break the device free from whatever gremlin it was stuck on.

Funny enough when the app is waiting to load data from the adapter info it first says "Sam's 30k" on both 50Ss. Probably the programmer's name.

Capture - Copy.JPG
  20. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer: