SENA 50 series.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SaAdvRider99, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    W2Floor likes this.
  2. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great deal for convenience. Used 30k sells for ~$160-190.
  3. Kmont

Kmont Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me it's worth it. My 50s is a whole lot better than my 20s. $200 to upgrade is a great price. Sound is clearer and louder. We usually talk the entire ride. I can now understand the entire conversation.
  4. OldKTMRacer

OldKTMRacer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you guys clue me in a little on how you use the group mesh?

I have a small group of buddies that I ride with. 3 of us have 20S Evos, 1 of us has a 30K. Group intercom sucks. We need to upgrade to Mesh.

So right now, we have ours set up to use the Bluetooth group intercom. When it works, any one of us is able to start up the chat by pushing the bottom button. We can talk our shit (need gas, gotta pee, wrong turn, etc), and then turn it back off. Most of us listen to music while we ride, and don't want random interruptions from an open mic (which from what I can tell, the Cardos are open mic all the time, or you can mute both your mic AND speaker, and then not hear anything important that needs to be said). So my question is, how is the chat initiated? Can one person turn everyone's mic on by pressing a button (hey, I got something to say, you listen). Or is it open mic all the time like the Cardo? I checked out the Sena manual, and it appears that you can mute your own mic. So that might work... But it means you have to unmute yourself if you wanna talk or respond to someone else. Do I have that right? How do you guys use it in practice?
  5. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In practice we just run open mike if you are in mesh you can multitask and listen to music. After some initial banter because we haven’t seen each other in a while it tends to settle into just important stuff.

I know you can have separate channels so if you want to bullshit with just one person you can and then drop back into group. You can have up to nine channels so potentially one per rider.

I don’t know if you can set it that the main group channel alerts all if people have switched to different channels however.

Failing that - There’s always tried and true hand gestures of course to alert people to go back to group channel.

As I said though - I don’t find my riding buddies that annoying that some light banter at times has made me consider this use case. If I were routinely riding with strangers on the other hand...
  6. gianttrack

gianttrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can turn mesh on and off easily, but unless someone is talking, you won't know it is on. As soon as you turn it back on or come back into range, you rejoin the group. It is much better than doing the bluetooth connection dance, but does use more battery. I listen to music with no interference in the conversation. Staying connected is a great safety feature, allowing for immediate warnings of hazards.
    Kmont likes this.
  7. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't like being the kind of person who only posts up bad stuff, so I offer this: I bought a 50R unit (haha yes Sena, you got more of my $$$) and I've used it with once with the Mesh stuff with another 50R user and a 30K user (all on latest firmware) and the mesh stuff worked one-click instantly and had no problems during the day.
    I used the phone app to enable mesh because I haven't fully RTFM and don't know which button (if any) is the "mesh" button on the 50R's unit.
    We lost comms via range once, maybe twice, and both times it was approx little less than 1/8mi and broken LOS - that's about what I expect from Senas - and both times the mesh rejoined and had no issues.
    I'm keeping my 30k for my other helmet since the 50R is wired on my DS helmet, and so far the new software update is performing well.
    EmmEff and scfrank like this.
  8. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

We often ride in a group of 2 to 6. All have Sena 30K. We love the mesh. Usually leave it open mic. As was said, there is usually banter at the beginning then settles down to just directional stuff and warnings. Hey, deer!

We find it very useful. Mesh has made the whole experience much easier and quieter over previous units.
  9. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes just solo. So music, podcast, phone calls etc.
  10. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Yep. Been doing it for 11 years now.
  11. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    It’s good to see that these new Sena’s are actually working. I was so frustrated with Sena I gave up and jumped ship over to Cardo. Time will tell if it’s actually a worth upgrade to jump back. For now I love my Cardo. It just plain works.
    Oeths and V-Tom like this.
  12. Kmont

Oddometer:
    If you love what you have then keep it. Don't mess up a good thing. I really like the new 50s.
  13. Nomad05

Nomad05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sena 50S Trade in math:
    $335+$17.89(shipping chg) - $135 trade in for 20S = $217.89
    50S unit at Revzilla @$288 + 0 (free shipping)
    $70 more to keep 20s unit
    Shady deal
  14. BluegrassPicker

BluegrassPicker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am currently using a 30K, and have a 20s in the basement which I never use so the deal works well for me..
    50s on the way, thanks everyone for spending my money.
    Kmont likes this.
  15. Kmont

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good deal to me. $217.89 to upgrade to a new unit. I don't need the 20s anymore. You keep the mounting and Speakers. So if you have multiple helmets you can swap the new one from each helmet. The 50s works with the 20s mount. I'm surprised they are doing a swap/trade in deal. Who else is doing that?
  16. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My group of riding buddies is currently thinking of upgrading from our 20S's. Still in discussions. Probably will do it, just not sure yet.
  17. OldKTMRacer

OldKTMRacer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright, so what I'm reading out of this is, when you have the mesh intercom on, its open mike all the time... My group isn't sure they like this idea (however, the instant notification of road hazard or angry dog is handy).

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... Lets say we all have mesh intercom off. When I turn the mesh intercom on, like so:

Screen Shot 05-22-20 at 02.02 PM.PNG

Does this mean that everyone else can now hear me talk? Or am I talking to myself until they turn it on too?

I don't think we have the need for multiple groups or anything like that, we just need simple comms available to call out road hazards, schedule a pee or gas stop, or talk about something interesting we are seeing. Just don't want to listen to every burp/fart/curse word that comes out of our mouths (or rear ends). I get that the actual transmission is voice/volume induced, so its not open mic all the time where we hear each others wind noise and engines... Bottom line, we liked the way the Bluetooth worked where any one of us could initiate a conversation and then end it. (But of course, that doesn't work worth a damn with more than two people!)

And then I guess the only other question... We can set up our group once, and have it work the next time we go riding without having to reconfigure anything right? Some days I may ride with Chris. Or I may ride with Josh. Or I may ride with both. No reconfiguration between days right?

And thanks for the extra info you guys provided. Good to hear the good reports on the mesh actually working well with these!
  18. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    May want to try Zello and a Bluetooth PTT button that syncs to your phone. Zello will sync into your current headset via the phone. And the good news? It’s free! Well, the PTT button costs $30. You will have connection wherever there is data service. Zello is easy. Once you set up the group, you stay connected.
  19. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well...

When you "enter" Mesh Intercom mode, you WILL talk to everybody by default and everytime you go back in Mesh *BUT*, if you hold the Mesh Intercom button 1 second, you will mute your mic so you can still hear people talking but they won't hear you unless you push again for 1 second the Mesh Intercom button which IMO is a good improvement over the Packtalk for example. There's a lot of bugs in the 50R/50S series if you use all the associated functions but#2, if the person is a solo ride and just use it for music, it's as good as an old 10 model (and you pay for functions you don't need IMO)... If you don't want to hear anybody and not be heard, well, you just leave the Mesh Intercom and come back when you want but the fact you can mute your mic does the job for our pack. If you will be doing Mesh and can live with a 5hrs battery life in Mesh Intercom, the 50 series is so far, superior to the Packtalk where everybody are always mic on or everybody are always mic off.

What is annoying, you cannot start the SENA in Mesh mode by default... So if you stop for a break and power off the SENA, you have to go back in Mesh mode after powering it back on, lunch, visit, everytime you need to switch back to Mesh as it's not a setting that is remembered but i'm confident a firmware upgrade will do it in the futur... (the "Nice to have" feature has been submitted to SENA)
    dimon and jspringator like this.
  20. OldKTMRacer

OldKTMRacer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea, that might be an option, as long as you got cell (which we don't always have). But then you don't need mesh technology or anything like that!

Yea I definitely noticed and like the mute mic feature (push mesh button for one second), and that might be what we end up doing most of the time. Cardo's mute feature mutes your mic AND speaker (why?)

You say when you "enter" mesh mode you talk to everyone. Does that include anyone in the group that DIDN'T turn on mesh mode? So for example, Josh powers down over lunch and doesn't turn mesh back on... I can't turn on mesh and start talking and have him hear me. Am I getting that right?

The 5 hour battery life on mesh does truly suck. Our rides are usually much longer than that. Is it just the fact that mesh is on that causes that? So it doesn't make a difference weather we talk the whole time or are silent the whole time?