SENA 50 series.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SaAdvRider99, Nov 4, 2019.

1. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mesh operation: You are right. If the person power's off his SENA and turn it back on and forget to go back in Mesh, he won't hear anybody. On a sidenote, I sent many bugs to SENA and some have already been adressed so I suspect they will also fine tune the unit with this option because it sucks to always have to go back in the mode you want ("I" want to be 100% of the time in mesh, why are you always sending me back to bluetooth when I power off my unit!). More and more people/group are using mesh only so leave people in the mode they selected prior to power-off please. An alternative, if you are paired in bluetooth with him/her you could call him but if you are on open mesh and he doesn't turn it back on (after a break, a lunch, a visit, whatever), he's out of the loop...

Battery life: I have now more than 5,000km on the 50R and have done many battery tests... In mesh, in my original review, I got ~5h30 with just mesh and music talking to nobody and a bit shy of that when in mesh mode and talking so without having a lot of knowledge in how the mesh protocol is programmed, you seem right that in mesh, talking or not doesn't make a difference.

SENA lacks the battery life and waterproofness for many but not all and the 50 series have many bugs that has to be sorted out but... What I can say: The SENA mesh needs a bit of fine tuning but is the best around on the market (clarity, reliability, multi-tasking) (I've tested the Uclear Motion (short term), SENA 30k (long term) and Packtalk mesh (long term)..
  2. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:

it is best to consider these units in these terms: - they contain 2 somewhat distinct radios. The mesh radio (dedicated purely to rider to rider comms) and a Bluetooth radio which is dedicated to device to device comms (phone etc)

The 20s is the exact same configuration but contains two discrete *Bluetooth* radios - the second one (now replaced by a mesh radio) was dedicated to rider to rider and could operate independently of the device to device radio. This is how you could multitask and listen to music while speaking to your friends.

The 10 series units only contain a single Bluetooth radio which performs double duty. Hence the multitasking limitations.

All of that said - considering the mesh button as it’s separate radio (it is). If it is off it is off - there isn’t any way to ping someone and have them turn their mesh radio on. You can gesticulate or you could literally call them on the phone (presuming their device is Bluetooth connected to their phone) and ask them to turn on their mesh radio.

If the mesh radio is on and maintaining or searching for a mesh connection it is consuming power. Period. That will definitely be exacerbated by talking a bunch as power will additionally be used to power the speakers and mic.

I haven’t used the mesh channel functionality personally but I am assuming the default channel is an open channel so yes - unless you specifically select a more confined channel upon turning on mesh - you will be dumped into the open channel.

I agree that 5 hours could be better if you are using the hell out it, however the fast charge functionality is real and works well. It’s unlikely that you will be riding non stop for 5 hours with no bio breaks or fuel breaks. Throwing it on a battery pack for 20 minutes really does provide 2+ hours of usage. I haven’t found it to be that limiting personally and I routinely ride 10 hours and 300-400 miles in groups of 2-6 in a day. In fact leaving on a three day trip tomorrow.

Just to reiterate what had been said before the Bluetooth radio alone consumes relatively little, hence the all day solo riding capability which, again, I can personally attest to.
  3. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As said though, if you are bluetooth paired with the other unit, you could call him on bluetooth though...

For the person riding alone, I would see absolutely no point to have a 50R/50S other than having the latest gizmo. When I make my reviews, I assume that the unit functionnality will be used and every function will be used. Same for gloves that assumes protection, same for waterproof gear. Some people tells me on waterproof goretex gloves or waterproof jacket that they don't ride in the rain so it's no issue some infiltrations, while I do understand, if the functionnallity is there, it should work properly and as advertised.

Try mesh and let me know how long you managed (in hours if possible since when I ride, I don't stop often, some people stop more often)...
  4. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    Yes that would work if the units were also Bluetooth paired. We don’t do that because it’s a pain in the ass and mesh pairing is seamless.

I’ll report back after the weekend- we are all on updated 30K units. None of us have yet seen a compelling reason to spend the $150 to go to the 50s if the mesh 2.0 works as anticipated.

We’re you able to put a 30K on the 50s mount (speakers really) and determine if there is an improvement in sound quality?
  5. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i still haven't been able to get music sharing quite right and was getting "bluetooth disconnect..." messages, so...

i factory reset our 50s comms to kill the blue tooth pairing. turned mesh on on my unit, bluetooth paired my phone and played music with open mesh. powered my wife's unit on and turned on mesh, open mesh and they connected. pushed the dial for 3 seconds, and she got a music sharing prompt, she pushed the mesh button to accept and we both were able to listen to the same music while having open mics. :beer
    finally.. music and gabber at the same time !
    so far these units seem solid, i'm looking forward to future firmware features and updates.
    hopefully mesh sounds better than it did in the pt bolds and the 30k.
    GrumpyOne likes this.
  6. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gallowaystx: The speakers are a marginal improvement over the 30k. I know they advertise it as an improvement but even by switching helmet, I cannot really see the difference if any other than there's more bass but the sound is not louder and not better *IMO*. This is a very subjective and personal opinion. My girlfriend and I both find the speakers are less powerful than the Packtalk speakers and a lot weaker than the Packtalk Bold JBL though. She will have the iAsus XSound 3 soon and she plans to review those speakers.

dpike: You will find the mesh is A LOT better than the Packtalk and Packtalk Bold...
  7. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question about installation on a Schuberth E1. I am replacing a sena SE10 that was all internal. Fiddling with the 50s Mount it seems like I might have to use the sticky mount instead of the clamp like I’d used for the 20s on an ARAI and a Shoei. The fit of the neck roll around the clamp and the Units distance away from the shell caused by the angle of the mount seem less than ideal.

If you use an E1 or C3 pro, how did you mount yours. (20s, 30k and 50s use same clamp type). Pictures would be great too.
  8. Old Nuke

Old Nuke Flatlander

Oddometer:

Check out this video-
  9. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that and also saw this one so I am looking for more experiences.

**UPDATE, I intstalled using the stick on method like this video, worked out better, fit wise.
  10. andeh83

andeh83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still have a 20s from when it first launched and it's still going strong. Some friends picked up Packtalk Bolds though but I'd prefer to stick with a Sena so eyeing up the 50s. I don't suppose the Sena mesh is in anyway compatible with the Packtalk mesh? I'm assuming they aren't
  11. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately no, the SENA mesh is not compatible with the Cardo DMC
    andeh83 likes this.
  13. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can Cardo Packtalk Bold speakers plug into a Senna 50 unit?

..Tom
  15. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    50S, yes, 50R you need an adapter.
  16. OldKTMRacer

OldKTMRacer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys, really appreciate the insight on the 50 series and the expanded explanation on how the radios work (Bluetooth vs Mesh).

Battery life ain't that great with Mesh on. I don't care so much, I have a dual port USB charger wired up in my tank bag so all I have to do is pull a cable out of my map pocket and plug it in. So I can deal with that inconvenience.

Would also be great if the Sena was truly waterproof as well. I don't really commute, or ride "when I have to". We generally ride when the weather is nice. Doesn't mean we don't get caught out in the rain sometimes, but I've never had an issue with my 20S getting a little wet. So I guess I'm OK with continuing to take a gamble on that.

If one of the guys in our group hadn't just bought a 30K 2 pack, the decision would be harder. Hate to tell him (after we convinced him to buy them!) that we are selling our Senas and trying out the Cardos! The rest of us upgrading to the 50 series seems to make the most sense.
  17. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    Sorry fellas for cluttering this thread (if I am) but I’m getting tired of reading reviews.

I use an iPhone, commute on my bike and like to listen to music and like the option of ear buds. I just want a device that uses voice prompts “Hey Siri, call home”. I don’t mind hitting a button to open up the voice prompt. I won’t be making too many calls, maybe one per ride to see if I need to make a stop for someone / something.

Will the older 20S EVO do that? I am reading it’s better / more reliable than the 30 for some reason. If I have to go latest and greatest 50 series is that function working well now or should I wait another year? I was going to buy last year but got fed up with so many mixed reviews (both for Sena and Cardo) that I opted to just keep using my ear buds. I’d like to buy something before month end. All my buddies use Sena, but I very rarely go on a group ride.

Thanks!
  18. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    Yes the 20 and 30 will do that at the push of a button to get your phone’s voice assistant online. I’m fairly sure even the 10 series will too. If you wish to use earbuds you might be limited to the 20 (and above) as the earbud socket is on the mount they all share. Someone who is more familiar than I can weigh in on if the 10 series take buds. I do happen to think that the 10c (the camera one) does but can’t confirm.

For pure hands free “hey Siri” I think it might only be the 50 series. Personally a button push is not a problem but ymmv.

If you don’t foresee needing rider to rider much (if at all) there is no real need to go for the 30 or 50 that can handle mesh. I have friends who are using 10 series units for years in your exact use case.
    OldManSandman likes this.
  19. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    Directly as an exact replacement or through the earbud port?
  20. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    except that the sound quality from the 50 series is dramatically better. i switched off between our 20s and 50s this weekend with my wife over bt comms and the 50s sounds much more natural and clear even with the 20s mounted to the 50series hardware.