1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Sena Bluetooth - Motorcycle Bluetooth Communication Systems

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by SenaBluetooth, Mar 18, 2014.

1. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from another Sena fan. I was talked into getting one at the end of last year by a woman who had one and wanted to communicate on a ride. I got it on too short of a notice to get it installed and operational and was actually a bit skeptical it would work well (not to mention I've been pretty hard over on not wanting to chat on the phone while riding).

The first time I did use it I had a phone call that lasted 20 minutes and I had reached speeds of 65 or so and the person on the other end said she couldn't tell.

I since had an issue which I am super happy to say Sena fixed and returned to me and it has worked perfectly ever since. Outstanding customer service!

I now own my second unit which I used this past weekend with my new girlfriend who I am just introducing to motorcycle riding.

As long as people are asking questions, the other thing I did recently was upgrade my old phone to a slightly less old phone and now my voice dial doesn't work.

I went from an HTC Amaze that let me just push the phone button on the Sena and it would prompt me to speak, where upon I could say "call X on mobile" and it would do it. My newer phone is a Galaxy 2 and when I push the phone button I just get the single beep and no prompt to do anything else.

Any suggestions on what to check, I'm ready to try. Oh, and to be clear I am trying to use the new phone on the original Sena that worked with the old HTC phone.
  2. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:
    Greetings aftCG. :D I'm sorry for the late response but we've been away recently as we were attending the ADVRider 2014 Noob Rally at Death Valley National Park. With that said, lets get down to finding a solution to your question.

To begin with, I suggest updating the firmware to the latest version which is now v5.0.1. After updating the firmware please perform a "Factory Reset" and a "Fault Reset" on your SMH10 (the instructions can be found in the User's Guide). Next, remove the SMH10 pairing that is currently on your phone because you will need to pair the SMH10 and the phone together again. Next, in the Settings app on your phone you will want to get to the Applications Manager and you will want to select the option where it will show a list of ALL of the apps on your Galaxy S2. Next, select the voice dialer app you used on the phone (something like S Voice which I have on my Galaxy S4). Next, scroll to where you see an option that says "Clear Defaults" and select that to clear it. Finally, press the phone button on the SMH10 and a prompt should appear asking you what do you want to do with this action (pressing the phone button on the SMH10), select your voice dialer then select the option to use the voice dialer "Always" (or something similar). Now that should now make it so that everytime you press the phone button on the SMH10 it will bring up your voice dialer.

The firmware update for the SMH10R is now available to download and install using the Sena Device Manager.
  3. TigerJimmy

TigerJimmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll just repost my questions from the "Equipment" forum.

Thank you!

Jim

---

Hello,

My GF and I own (and absolutely love) the Sena SMH10 intercoms. It's changed our riding hugely for the better. I didn't think I'd like having music while riding, but we both love it.

We have good luck with the intercom, up to about half a mile with line of sight. An obvious improvement would be to add a 2-way radio for extended range. I have an amateur radio license, and 2-meter would be an obvious choice for mobile bike-to-bike comms.

I've read the big SMH10 thread, and I've read about the SR10, but I was hoping to ask a few specific questions for the group:

1. I understand I would plug the radio, like my Yaesu FT-60R or other 2-way radio (FTM-10R if I can find two of them), into the SR10 using the DIN port and an appropriate cable. I also understand I can run a handlebar-mounted push-to-talk button and plug it into the PTT port on the SR10. Am I correct so far?

2. I would pair the SMH10 to the SR10. This would let me hear the radio in my SMH10 intercom and allow me to talk into the microphone and have it act as the radio microphone. Still right?

3. How does this work with also having the iphone paired? I understand the SR10 will pair with the SMH10 using a mono-audio HFP connection. I'm assuming I would pair the iphone as I do now, to the SMH10 and NOT to the SR10, allowing cell phone use and also bluetooth stereo music streaming. Is that right? It is important to me I keep stereo connectivity to the iphone for music.

4. What happens with the bluetooth intercom for close-range bike-to-bike? Can the SMH10 pair to all three devices: iphone, SR10/radio, and riding partner SMH10 for intercom?

5. How does the interface work to switch between all of these? Currently, I have 3 modes of bluetooth audio, intercom, and cell phone (in that priority order). How does this change with the SR10 in the mix? Is it a 4th mode or does it take the place of one of these three?

In an ideal world, here's how I'd like it to work:

Riding along, listening to music (or not), I could push to use the SMH10 intercom as I do today. If the phone rings, I can answer it and talk. This is exactly how it works today. But then, I would like to be able to do *something* (I don't understand what) and speak on the radio if my riding partner is not in range of the intercom. And, of course, she needs to *hear* that, even if she is listening to music at the time, or whatever.

Thanks for the advice, gang!

Jim
  4. tc339

tc339 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a quick question about speakers for you guys.

I have the SMH10 absolutely love it. I recently put one in my Shoei Hornet and dont really have enough room in the ear cut outs for the speakers. They push against my ears and start hurting after an hour or so.

I have tried the mount for earbuds, but I dont like riding with the earbuds in.

Do I have any other options for a speaker set up of thinner speakers or something? I noticed a thin speaker option for the SMH10R but not for the SMH10.
  5. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    Most Shoei's have limited space in the ear pocket area. In the ear pocket space, the Shoei's these days have a thin black plastic covering. First, be 100% sure that the speakers are aligned with your ear canals, exactly. See our video, HERE.

Then, trace the area where the speakers need to go with a pencil or a white china marker. Then with a very sharp, pointed X-acto knife, you can carefully cut thru the black plastic, but not into the hard styrofoam, underneath. This will give you about another 3-4mm space, and should be enough to relieve the pressure on your ears from the speakers. If it's still not enough, you can compress the sytrofoam with the rounded end of a screwdriver handle.

Give that a shot. i'm pretty sure that'll help. :deal
  6. tc339

tc339 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didnt even think of doing that. A little hesitant to cut into my helmet, but why not. Worth a try. Thanks!
  7. SenaBluetooth

Oddometer:

Jim, thank you for the questions about our SR10 so I'll go over them one by one.

1. The SR10 comes packaged with a small, wired PTT button that is meant to mounted on the handlebar.

2. Yes, you would pair the SMH10 to the SR10. When you hold down the PTT button on the SR10 then you can speak into the microphone of the SMH10.

3. Yes, you would pair the SMH10 to your phone normally using the Phone Pairing method then you would pair the SMH10 to the SR10 using the Multpoint pairing method as the SR10 would use the secondary HFP connection on the headset (the phone uses the other HFP connection for phone calls).

4. Yes, the SMH10 can be paired to all of those devices at the same time. The SMH10 can be paired to a phone (uses 1 HFP connection and 1 A2DP connection), a SR10 (also uses 1 HFP connection), and be intercom paired to another Sena headset.

5. Since the SR10 uses a HFP connection with the SMH10, it shares the same top level of priority that phone calls have so during a intercom conversation the SR10 will interrupt the intercom when communication from the two-way radios until the PTT button is released.

Thank you for answering that question. In regards to the speakers in the helmet, it means that the helmet wasn't designed to be used with a Bluetooth headset and there are several ways to solve that: 1)Get a larger sized helmet, 2)Move the speakers to a different location within the helmet that has enough space when wearing it, or 3)Modify the inside of the helmet to create speaker pockets that are large enough and deep enough for the speakers so that you can hear them perfectly without causing any kind of pain. So, Adam from RocketMoto's suggestion of modifying the helmet is perfectly accepted.

Finally, the firmware for the SMH10R (v5.0), SMH5 (v2.0), and SMH5-FM (v2.0) have been officially released and are available to be installed from the Sena Device Manager.
  8. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    you can actually just take your thumb and press down really hard and it will compress the styrofoam inside the helmet.
  9. tc339

tc339 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have hard plastic on the ear pockets that I will have to cut out. They are shallow enough that even without the speakers in my ears touch the plastic in the pockets. so i really dont have room at all for speakers. I will have to cut out the plastic and then maybe compress the foam a little if I have to.
  10. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    Sorry to buck the obvious trend of gushing support, but we have three SMH10s and they have consistently disappointed us.
    Mostly, the real-world range between units is nothing like the claimed range; the high level of static between units 2 & 3 makes prolonged use tiring - and mostly, having just performed the upgrade: I wish I hadn't.

Despite re-pairing my phone & the Sena, I've lost all functionality for phone, music and voice commands that I had previously established. Nothing now works, rendering the Sena useless.
    Tomorrow I'll see if I can reverse the installation of this so-called Upgrade - if not, I'm afraid all three troublesome Senas will be replaced with Scala Cardos, which we know do work as claimed.
  11. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't had any problem with range or static. Then again, I usually ride within line of sight. Is it static or wind noise? If it might be wind noise, make sure the microphones are oriented properly. I had mine facing the wrong way for a while. Do you get static just with the intercom between those two units? Not with music playing or between units 1 and 2 or 1 and 3?

As for phone pairing, what phone are you running?
  12. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    So if the SR10 and phone are both on the top level, what happens if you attempt to use the phone while there's chatter on the two-way radio?

My particular use case is for moto-reffing bicycle races. Some moto-refs use digital voice recorders to take notes on course; I'd like to do so on my Android phone, but I will also be using an SR-10 hooked to a Baofeng UV-5R. My plan would obviously be to make those voice notes when I'm not transmitting on the radio (and presumably when I'm not getting communications from someone else via radio), but we often have multiple fields on the same frequency and, at least at the last race I worked, there were times that the radio was chattering for five or more minutes consecutively. If that's happening, will I be able to open the channel to the phone, or will the SR10 refuse to relinquish it? And if radio comms come in while the phone channel is open, will they override the phone connection or just go away?

Thanks.
  13. SenaBluetooth

Oddometer:
    Since they share the same level of priority and use the same HFP connection, you will hear both audio sources at the same time. When you are on a phone call, you will hear the audio of the SR10 in the background. In addition, when you are talking over the two-way radios through the SR10 you can answer an incoming phone call by pressing the phone button on the SMH10 and talk to both people at the same time. However, while you are communicating through the SR10 you will not be able to make a phone call by activating the voice dialer while the SR10 is active.
  14. Precis

Oddometer:
    Yep, line of sight - anything over about 500 metres (550 yards) and it's unintelligible noise - so much for the claims of 900 metres (990 yards).
    Mikes are facing the right way: we have 3 units and the 'First' one has ended up being my daughter's: she has clear short-range comms to her mother and I, but between her mother and I, the comms are static and hiss-ridden. This eventually gets tiring and distracting - which is simply dangerous on a bike.

On its own, my unit is - or was, before the so-called 'Upgrade' - fine for phone calls and playing music - though the volume levels between functions varied greatly: Voice Command was very loud, the phone medium, music quiet and GPS instructions very low - though I think that's more a function of the apps on the phone; it was something I was intending to address and figured the 'Upgrade' in firmware would be a good time to sort these issues - all it's done is create more!
    BTW, the phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2.

Since the 'Upgrade', nothing works - not the phone button, Voice Command, music, nothing.

I've raised it with Sena in Korea, asking how I can delete the 'Upgrade' and revert to what I had before - it wasn't perfect, but right now, I have a $300 (or whatever they are now) carbuncle on my helmet that does absolutely nothing.
    To their credit, they have responded quickly and in excellent English, so I'll work through their suggestions when I have the phone & the helmet (and time) in the same place.
    Many folk here have the Scala system and the consensus seems to be that it works far better.
  15. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    The current Mac utility is terrible. There is no other way I can describe it. A package installer (???), horrid user interface, requiring the user to be an administrator AND relinquish their password, spelling errors, poor grammar, non-standard layout, disabling Bluetooth on the computer despite using USB... This is the kind of garbage that drives Windows users to drink. For a Mac user, it is beyond painful.

I found out the hard way this afternoon that even the latest version of the utility won't work on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, which has been out since October 2013, and is free for any Mac that can run it. After over a dozen forced restarts by the utility, and still not being able to recognize my SMH5-FM that was connected directly to the computer, I gave up and installed the utility on an older iMac running Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion. I was finally successful in updating the firmware, after a lot of frustration.

Are there any plans on improving the device manager utility for Mac OS, or is this the best we can expect?
  16. Precis

Oddometer:
    Well, after two or three hours of messing around and with the help of Sena's tech-desk, I've deleted the so-called "Upgrade" - and got it right back to where I started and how it used to be: I can use the phone, and listen to music.
    From here on, I'll accept that as being as good as it will ever be, and ignore any invitations to shed blood & bile with any further "Upgrades". I haven't tested it yet, but hopefully the hissing interference and limited range will not have become any worse.

And 16VGTIDave is right, of course: why should you have to disable all other Bluetooth devices to run a USB-cabled function? This meant I had to find a cabled mouse and unplug the BT keyboard for the duration. At least the Windows version seems to have no spelling mistakes.
    Happily, I'll never need to go through this again - it is what it is!
  17. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

L O V E mine, they work amazing and even more-so after the firmware update. I couldn't imagine anything better, the range on them are fantastic!
  18. michael.brat

michael.brat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Perkio

Perkio Just "Perk" Please.

Oddometer:
    Maybe your s2 is too old?

In regards to the volume issues I think you have to set the phone output volume 2.max while each application is running separately just sit down at the table with your helmet in phone and run through each one and turn the phone volume up all the way.
    otherwise you will have some loud and some may be soft.
    I couldn't hear my voice commands repeated from the phone until I figured this out.

20. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    No arguments on any of that for me, except maybe that I wouldn't rate it as "beyond painful", as that more accurately describes my attempts to get the Windows utility to work in a VM.

It actually works for me (under 10.9.2). It crashed on detecting devices the first time through, but it then allowed me to update my SMH10B and to adjust settings on both the SMH10 and the SR10. It is, however, ugly and I'm very glad I'm not relying on using a BT keyboard or mouse (as I do at work); I don't know that I'd have been able to accomplish the update at all if I only had a desktop Mac here at home. It would be helpful if it was clear on the website that the utility might work under Mavericks; based on the above post and the list of supported OSes on the Sena website, I just started trying to get the update done under a WindowsXP virtual machine...which resulted in a bunch of other issues, including the Sena Device Manager installation hanging at a "Disconnect the device to continue installation" screen...while I didn't have the device connected.

+1. Mac marketshare is growing, and Mac users tend to be clumped—i.e. most of my friends and coworkers also use Macs, so I'd be hard-pressed to borrow a PC at this point. I do have a virtual installation of Windows on my Mac, but that's a whole other cluster to deal with (and one I started tackling last night when I thought I'd