Sena Bluetooth - Motorcycle Bluetooth Communication Systems

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by SenaBluetooth, Mar 18, 2014.

1. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK Sena guru, I have the Sena 20 twin pack, two friends also have the 20. Excuse my ignorance though, Im a techno dummy.

On a ride a few days ago, we did the turn units on, shake, get the green flashing light, hold them close to each other to pair, and...... nothing. Complete failure, they refused to communicate.

Yet on mine and the twin it came with, they pair fine.

Different/outdated firmware between units perhaps? Or some other reason theyre not detecting/pairing with each other?
  3. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a VERY old set of SMH10's.
    The ones with the round charging plugs, before the usb.

I had not touched them in probably a year and 1/2 at least.
    When I pulled one out to use/charge a few months ago it was really sticky/gooey all over, they had been getting sticky, but it was BAD.

I cleaned mine up with clorox disinfecting wipes.
    The sticky just wiped off, leaving what seems like a harder under layer.

They are well over 10 years old now and still working, these things amaze me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I’m keeping my old SMH-10s, both of which still work perfectly, as spares/loaners. Upgraded to the 10S’ due to newer features, better compatibility with 20S (old ones would occasionally lead to garbled sound when in group chat with people using 20S’), and compatibility with mounts. I purchased SMH-10 mount kits for several helmets and did not want to have to replace all of those.
  5. halejl

halejl Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I have a 10U connected to NAV 6. Every time the GPS kicks in with voice instructions, beeps or any sound, my ongoing intercom conservation is stopped and I have to reconnect. Is there anyway around this or do I have something set up wrong?
  6. bgspltr

bgspltr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have a pair of Sena 30K devices. They work great, except for failure to successfully connect with BMW's TFT on the newer BMWs, and also failure to successfully connect to the Triumph TFT Connectivity module.

I connect my Sena30K to the BMW TFT on my R1250GSA, the mesh intercom fails (to my wife's 30K).

I recently added a Triumph Rocket 3 TFC to the stable, and have the Triumph Bluetooth module installed — and it has a similar capability as the BMW to pair both phone and Sena to the Triumph.

And guess what — same problem, mesh intercom fails as soon as the Sena connects to the Triumph bluetooth module. It appears that Sena has a major limitation with their mesh intercom.

Not happy to find that a major cool feature from both BMW and Triumph doesn't work with the expensive pair of Sena 30Ks I've got. Appears to be a problem with Sena since it is consistent across two different motorcycle brands.

Here is how I'm connecting the Sena on my headset:

Pair TFT to headset:

Sena: Press phone button for 5 seconds (“Phone Pairing”)
    TFT: Connections, Pair Rider’s helmet

Pair Nav to headset:

Sena: Press and hold the jog dial for 5 seconds, then type phone button
    Nav: scan for bluetooth devices, and connect the Sena

Pair phone to TFT

TFT: Connection, Mobile Device pair
    iPhone: scan for bluetooth, pair to TFT
    TFT: Yes to contacts

Pair Phone to Nav:

Nav: Scan for devices
    Phone: scan for bluetooth, pair to Nav (DON’T ALLOW CONTACTS)
    Nav: turn off Phone Calls, turn on Smartphone Link and Media

Pair Sena's via private mesh following steps in Sena30k user guide

Note: I can reproduce the failure by just connecting Sena with TFT and Phone with TFT, and Sena Mesh pairing.
    Luckycharms likes this.
  7. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    Ok... I have a Garmin Zumo 660LM and a Sena 20S .... my phone is only ever paired to the Zumo and I let it manage the phone ( I almost never bother with connecting the phone). I have around 2000 songs on the sd card in the Zumo and primarily use the Sena for listening to music. When I first start the bike and turn on the 20S.. almost all of the time the connection is terrible and the music is scratchy/garbled.. turning the headset on an off will resolve this, sometimes the connection will resolve itself after about 60 seconds to crystal clear and will work flawlessly until the next time things are powered down.....Any one else having this type of issue?
  8. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Have you tried powering the headset first v's the GPS first?
  9. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    Yes I have... it doesn't seem to make a significant difference... It was required order of operations to work with my SMH10.
  10. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sena on latest Firmware version?
  11. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    updated to latest version this morning...haven't had a chance to test yet, but this shouldn't be a continuing issue on a 4yr old gps and 3 yr old headset.... I'm trying to figure out if my issue is isolated to me or a common theme. You'd like to think that a Sena headset talking to a Garmin motorcycle gps would be the most common combination in the world and they would work flawlessly together.
    Luckycharms likes this.
  12. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Are you sure the phone hasn't been paired to the headset at some point and is also connecting? Maybe delete all pairings and start over (Sena used to recommend that anytime you upgrade firmware)
    FireDog45 likes this.
  13. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    90% of the time the phone has BT turned off ( only paired to the gps) and I made sure it was un-paired it from the headset. If I am riding on the atv or KLR, I pair the headset to the phone for music and it works with no issues. Seems to be the headset and the gps that can't consistently commuicate audio clearly. It's not the end of the world...just an annoyance.
  14. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. We've got some big news for all of you:
    • The 50S and 50R are now available for purchase in North America (coming soon worldwide)
    • A firmware update for the 30K, Momentum EVO and the +Mesh will be available soon to upgrade the Mesh Intercom feature to Mesh 2.0 for robust reliability when talking with other riders.
    • A limited-time 50R and 50S trade-up program for existing Sena 30K users

For more details, please visit https://www.sena.com/community/news/sena-introduces-the-50R-50s-featuring-mesh-2.0
    KiwiPewe, AdamChandler and cgguy09 like this.
  15. bgspltr

bgspltr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exciting, but can you guys please address the compatibility issues with the motorcycle bluetooth systems such as the BMW TFT and Triumph Bluetooth Connectivity Module?
    Luckycharms likes this.
  16. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why no upgrade offers for other Sena owners?
    eddyturn, boricua700 and cgguy09 like this.
  17. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    I do like my 10c...but, if you were offering me an upgrade......

Also, just want to note that your firmware upgrades for older models have been great & I appreciate you doing it!

s/p,
    cFogs
    SenaBluetooth and MtnRider like this.
  18. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    So those of you that have a 10 C have you ever had issues with it not powering on even though fully charged? This thing won’t work at all and I can’t figure it out. It just did it randomly one day a few weeks back and has never worked since nothing unusual happened at all but one day it just wouldn’t work. My 20 S has worked brilliantly
  19. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    I think it happened to me once, but it works fine now.
    Try the reset button first... see if that does the trick.

Next, Plug it into your computer and see if it’s recognized.
  20. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    My 10S had a similar issue. I finally found the problem to be the helmet clamp rather than the main unit. If you have access to a different clamp. try switching them out.