Sena Bluetooth - Motorcycle Bluetooth Communication Systems

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by SenaBluetooth, Mar 18, 2014.

1. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that Mesh doesn't stop working when connected to the BMW TFT on the SENA 50R. If you use Mesh and do group riding, the 50S/R are the best intercom but they are similar (or identical to the 30K I had after the firmware upgrade). Battery life for me is still inadequate. Several are stating "I ride all day and have no problems", I prefer counting hours that are spent because I don't stop a lot and some people, a "whole day" is not specific enough.

On Mesh, yesterday with 4 riders (2x 50R, 2x 30K), music in the background, lasted 5h07mins and 5h19mins respectively, IMO, not enough. If you don't mind riding plugged or charging during lunch, that may be ok for several people. A few glitches here and there, read my review in the "SENA 50R series" thread for more information.
    draco_1967 likes this.
  2. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that isn't enough battery life. I get 8-10 hours consistently on the Packtalk depending. I find that riding in more twisty forest canyon roads where line of sight is lost frequently, the battery doesn't last as long.

I am glad to hear that the Mesh function has been improved, and that the low battery warning is finally helpful (I hated that on the 20s!). I am still leery of spending money on Sena based on the bad experience with the 20s and all the 30k problems I've read about. Two flagship product launches that fail to deliver is not a good way to do business.
  3. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for listening Sena. Now to figure out what the difference between the two new versions is and which I want more!!!!
  4. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank You folks for spending your time relating your communicator experiences on this forum. We've been using the Sena SRL in our Shoei Neotech II helmets. I'm tired of the SRL units' inability to play music and use a radar detector at highway speed levels - just cannot adjust the units to perform this well - the bluetooth sources won't play well together. As communicators only, they seem to work very well - we were satisfied with that performance.

I've studied this forum and the Cardo Packtalk Bold forum. I've watched pretty much all the YouTube reviews of the Cardo and the Sena products. Last night I ordered the tried and true Packtalk bold duo - its proven and no one didn't like it after use in the reviews. I know we are getting technology that is several years old, but people say it works.

Someday - We'll all be able to talk on a common Mesh standard versus each manufacturer in their own silo....
  5. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 and MtnRider like this.
  6. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. sailnbike

sailnbike Adventurer

Oddometer:

Will the Mesh 2 upgrade on a 30k reduce the talk time from 8 hours to make it less than the 50R.
  8. Double_U

Double_U Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The boom microphone goes straight into the main unit, where as the wired boom is fitted inside the helmet and wired into the unit.
    MtnRider likes this.
  9. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am interested in upgrading a 20S to a 50S or R. Do the 50 series have the ambient mode that the 20S has?
  10. JMforPres

Oddometer:
    Found the answer on the quick start guides for the 50S and 50R. The 50S has an ambient button similar to the 20S (same position) but the 50R does not.

Is there a voice command or other way to activate the ambient mode on the 50R?
  11. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the 20S mount compatible with the 50S so I can use the 50S on an older helmet already mounted with a 20S?
  12. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Yes, confirmed by my own testing.
    cgguy09 and Bruincounselor like this.
  13. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    What about using wired earbuds with the 50S (I don't use Ambient mode much but really ought to so that makes me want that one vs the R version)?
  14. JMforPres

Oddometer:
    The 50S has a plug for ear buds but the 50R needs a extra cable to make them work.
  15. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    Well that seals it. I guess I'm getting a 50S as an upgrade from my 20s
  16. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ordered mine last night. It's hard to pass up the deal when your 20S is 4-5 years old. I've been expecting the battery to die but it hasn't (Yet).
  17. badge502

badge502 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Im having an issue with the Sena SRL2, and was wondering if anyone else was having this issue... I have it bluetoothed to my Motorola phone, and that is all. When Im parked, I can contact the GOOGLE ASSISTANT for turning on songs, or navigating to a location using maps... BUT, if Im rolling down the road, Google assistant won't even answer up... So, its like the phone isn't hearing me. Ive got the Shoei Neotech 2 helmet, and the face screen is down...
  18. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    My battery has been pretty consistent during its life - my issue is that there's some issues with connectivity (assuming its the contacts) between the unit and the "shoe" on the helmet...

I plan to use the 50s on my existing shoe to try to determine if the issue is with the base / mount or the unit itself.
  19. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    So...SENA sent me a bunch of emails last night. Here they are in order of receipt:

First email: Your order has been approved. [umm...okay, thanks...I think?]

Second: Flagged order due to you having a different billing address from shipping [concerned & confused - as the order instructions said use Paypal in this instance, which I did...this email suggests using Paypal to solve this issue]

Third: Your item (50s) is out of stock and will be available in 2-6 weeks. [umm...I am trying to do the upgrade and having received no notification when I ordered on Monday, went ahead and submitted the upgrade claim form which requires you to return the old unit within 30 days of submitting the form, I sure hope that its two weeks, not six weeks]

20. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the math, and ended up keeping my sena 20s and buying the 50s in a dual pack from revzilla. (other retailers are similar, I suspect) Keep the old one for my other helmet, it was $70 more to keep it, I can do that. Shipped yesterday, supposed to be here tomorrow. 4 of my group of riders all decided to do the same. We have literally spent hours syncing, that stops now!