1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

SENA - Rider to Rider Communications

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nevgriff64, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Nudie

Nudie Rusty not rusty

Oddometer:
    That's great! Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm not drunk
  2. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies and information - very much appreciated. :clap

Plenty to work my way through and hopefully can sort out something very soon. :thumb
  3. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nev..it has only just begun...now how do you connect that again..huh..my firmware won' t upgrade...oh you want to connect this to that in that priority...:imaposer
    nevgriff64, Precis and Spots like this.
  4. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh yes .........:)
  5. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:

Well, being completely computer illiterate - i'll probably just have to add it to the other useless electronic junk I have stashed away in the reject cupboard. :uhoh
  6. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
  7. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might a mate and I were offroad riding in some sandhills with the coms ................
    it just takes fun and riding with mates to a new level
  8. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
  9. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    I have the SMH10R & SR10 uhf interface. works well for the phone music & uhf; cant comment on bike to bike 'cause I got no friends to ride with:photog
    Jingellic86 and Mouse like this.
  10. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
  11. Nandewar

Nandewar Sound sound the clarion

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Sena 10 for a couple of years. My appreciation of it took a huge jump when I bought some of these to wear.
    http://www.earjobs.com.au/products/alpine-motosafe-earplugs?variant=116717992
    They cut out any wind noise and I can lower the volume by heaps and music and calls are clearer. Wish I got them years ago because I had the volume up too high for hours on end, with the expected consequences. They are head and shoulders better than regular foam plugs.

As for the Sena itself? Great bit of gear. Clear sound, and great battery life.
    JayElDee, Tomdog and itsgunnahurt like this.
  12. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Makes perfect sense but now how much data will it use.
  13. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    OK, not sure whether to hijack this thread (sorry Nev) or start another, but my interest is Rider-Pillion.

*Same same???

(I currently have starcom 1 adv and it's slightly better than rubbish in my experience).
  14. Precis

Oddometer:
    As good as knee-slapping and pointing?
    itsgunnahurt and Jingellic86 like this.
  15. Spots

Spots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rider-pillion works fine (the 20S and maybe some others can even stream music from one headset to the next). What I like about the Starcom1 is that it's plug-and-play, pun not intended. Plug GPS and MP3 player and phone and UHF into the Starcom box, plug helmets into helmet cables, and it's done. It doesn't care about brands of devices, or pairing, or anything. It's just cables and a box which mixes audio together.

Most of my frustrations with bluetooth come about because the devil is in the detail of how companies actually implement bluetooth on their device. (These next two examples pop up regardless of if it's rider/pillion or rider/group intercom, mind you)

Some of it's simple/harmless stuff like... remembering to turn the 20S on first before I turn on my GPS, because otherwise the music tends to skip/stutter.

The bigger frustration for me is an artefact of how Sena and Garmin GPSes interact when they're paired with each other in certain ways. Basically, I've had to stop my Zumo 590 from giving me directions via voice - I just glance down at the display now and then to memorise the next maneuver. Why? Well, if I play music AND have a pillion/other intercom riders AND there's a navigation instruction from the GPS, it drops the intercom connection for a few seconds so the GPS can talk. This only happens in certain 'configurations' and apparently doesn't affect some other brands of GPS. It's true that the SR10 bluetooth bridge would eliminate that issue, but having come from the "plug and play" StarCom1 environment to discover unexpected frustrations like that is, well, frustrating.

But aside from those sorts of little annoyances, rider/pillion works great. No Starcom cables to faff about with, and if one or both of you dismount you can both keep talking while your helmets are on.
    Out6ack likes this.
  16. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    Excellent info Spots.
    Thanks mate
  17. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run one of these, http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/Interphone-F5MC-Intercom-Twin-Pack.html, it's sensational on long trips.
    Voice prompts from a nice young lady, so I never have to remember what each button does.
    I run this in my Shoie GT Air along with the Pro Sound kit, http://www.bikebiz.com.au/products/Interphone-Headphone-Kit-%2d-Shoei.html
    Great sound and like someone else mentioned, talking while riding the other person has no idea your on your bike, it can also be charged while riding.
    Out6ack and Tomdog like this.
  18. Precis

Oddometer:
    This thread prompted me to see if there were any firmware updates from Sena, and there were.
    For the first time ever, updating went smoothly with no screaming, shouting and throwing things.
    Haven't noticed any difference in operation, but the update was smooth.
    JayElDee and Fearless Whetu like this.
  19. skew

skew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had 20s worked great with 2 intercoms worthless with 3 or more 20's nothing but static pops and drop outs used for over 2 years waiting for fixes rma same issues. We all purchased packtalk's and never looked back no pairing problems no static I can play music and listen to 4 others on intercom at the same time.
    Cardo-scala rider likes this.
  20. Precis

Oddometer:
    Johnny Appleseed's now a Sena agent, so I called about the 30; they just called back to say we won't get it in Aus till the end of NEXT year at the earliest.