SENA - Rider to Rider Communications

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nevgriff64, Nov 13, 2016.

1. AusGoFar

AusGoFar get back on that horse

Oddometer:
    i love my Sena 20S, The voice command is brilliant and if you forget the appropriate voice commands - you just say "what can i say" which causes Sena to then speak out the commands she understands. Great stuff

I just need my riding buddies to get on board so we all talk
    Tomdog likes this.
  2. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've had em for years Dave, just dont turn them on.... :)
    AusGoFar likes this.
  3. AusGoFar

AusGoFar get back on that horse

Oddometer:
    And round the camp fire you all speak French. Are you blokes telling me something
  4. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    Oui...
  5. rustl

rustl Quiet

Oddometer:
    A friend and I have had smh10's for about 3 years now. Very good for bike to bike but the range is at best about 800m and only line of sight, phone/etc connections are easy and very reliable. Due to their age we are noticing some drop in battery life to about 4 hours but are able to connect to a small external battery/iPhone charger for extended use.

We find them excellent for communicating road conditions back and forth and for idle chitchat. Three of us were in Vietnam last week and had them working as a full 3way comms, excellent for calling out the sights - even better for alerting others to hazards on the road, rocks, holes, trucks, buses, dogs, cows, buffalo, kids etc.
    Wodger63, motomecha and Noely like this.
  6. taipanrider

taipanrider n00b

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have used the SMH10's for years and have found then excellent. Connection range is a lot less than what Sena state. At times we've been unable to connect with each other at distances less than 100m. But once connected they stay connected up to about 700m clear as a bell so long as your in each others line of sight. Go over a hill or around a corner and the audio gets crackly quickly, but that's to be expected. Overall though we are very pleased with them and would recommend them.
    Tee Dee Mmm likes this.
  7. Gota

Gota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for Sena
    Have 2 models now old one's for the DR's and new one's for the strom's.

We originally had the Scala G4's what a piece of s**T, would never connect get a horrible ear piercing scream through the speakers and also the ice-cream van/Lassie music, very unreliable and the volume was crap.

So then we got the smh10 WOW so good and they just work had them just 31/2yrs now.
    Have the zumo 660 paired to the sena as a phone for GPS instructions and music and iPhone paired to the GPS for calls and phone book.
    Volume is good, connection instant, can charge while using they have been through all sorts of weather and just keep working.
    We also got the 10s the upgraded smh10 and have these paired to the zumo 590, this setup seems to have a few niggles nothing major though.

Sena also have great warranty service if needed.
    Would happily buy again and recommend them.

Cheers Gota
    Tomdog likes this.
  8. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Bit of an update to this Thread...

Three of us decided to go with the Sena 20S and we had a chance to use them on a 3 day ride last weekend.

Very impressed with how they work and will only get better as we figure out all the functions.

Not sure if we have set them up correctly but all units seem to work through my Sena so if I drop out of range then the other two lose communications between each other. Not a big deal once we worked this out as I just travelled in the middle so communications between everyone worked ok.

Seems to have a "typewriting" clicking noise every now and then but not a huge annoyance - just an observation we all picked up on.

All in all, delighted at how well they worked and definitely helped on the long boring stretches when we limped home when one of the bikes was playing up.
    Tomdog likes this.
  9. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    Great minds think alike.
    Exactly my experience.
    20S. is expensive but so was the scala G9. I thought the G9 was the cats meow until I tried the 20s.

itsgunnahurt likes this.
  10. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    The Scala Packtalk overcomes the need for riders to travel in a certain order, and Sena will have a similar setup soon, or they might even have it out now. I read somewhere that the next innovation is connecting via the internet, but you have to be in mobile coverage, so range won't be a problem at all.
  11. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read all of this, settled on the Sena and bought the Uclear mainly because no bloody mike boom and I could get a pair on runout locally for the same price as one Sena. Used them all round Tas, the range wasn't great and became annoying but then the Sena and N-Com we had with us had the same issues. None of them were real happy talking to the others, pissing around in the am soon got old. The Uclear is super easy to put on a helmet temporarily, I mainly bought two so that JB could talk to me but it's handy on solo rides to give one to a mate. Still a bastard to link and stay linked like all BT devices, the GPS drops off then comes back, sometimes the phone drops off, but unit to unit they are solid. Love the answer, just say "Hello" and you're good to go.
  12. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Rider 1, "hello are you there"
    Rider 2, " "
    Rider 1, " wake up"
    Rider 2, " are you there"

2 hours later

Rider 1, " have you connected your Bluetooth"
    Rider 2, " Oh, fuck this shit"

So funny to watch. Worth them spending the money for my entertainment.
    After 3 days they had the working fine though.
    Talking about me, saying things.
    Bastards.
    itsgunnahurt likes this.
  13. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Mrs Woody found it very entertaining while me and my mate were first setting up our Scalas. Sitting on the verandah, shorts and helmets on. "Are you there", "can you here me", "hello, hello, hello". We didn't see the funny side, very frustrating.
    itsgunnahurt likes this.
  14. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The way you pair each of the Sena's in the group of riders impacts the way the units perform.
  15. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    We had many moments like this during the early stages of setting them up. :lol3

bigborett likes this.
  16. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Pretty much like that.
  17. Spots

Spots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is normal, yeah. A frustrating limitation of Blootoof at the moment.

Aside from the really new 'mesh networking' ones like the Sena 30 and a few others, the connection is like a series of invisible daisy-chains.
    Example: Rider A - Nev - Rider B in convoy.
    * When Rider A speaks, his Sena sends the message to Nev's Sena. Then Nev's Sena transmits that on to Rider B.
    * When Nev speaks, his Sena sends the message to both Rider A and Rider B.
    * When Rider B speaks, it goes to Nev and then gets passed on to Rider A.

It's not bad on small group rides (e.g. 3-4 people) 'cos people tend to be close enough that transmission distance is still okay. With bigger groups, Rider A and Nev could be hundreds of metres apart.
  18. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Dave you are a good sales man you have been bangin on how good these S20 are now I read I read this , you must have shares in the company
  19. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    S'funny, one of the blokes on the Tas trip has motorcycling Tourette's, but nobody knew until we were all connected. He constantly makes judgmental comments about others passing manoeuvres, corner taking, position in traffic and how so and so said some shit back at the pub the night before that pissed him off. Constantly. Doesn't, or didn't, know he was doing it. Soon got pointed out to him. Very entertaining. I tend to sing, mainly "Born to be Wild" or "Highway to Hell" apparently. Years of being all by yourself inside your helmet is shattered once you get an intercom.
  20. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Whilst I can see the fun and advantages, that's how it supposed to be, "all by yourself inside your helmet". Certainly good for warning of obstacles and having a bit of a laugh etc. though.