Sena S20 experience

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by macintosh, Jul 14, 2014.

1. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought there is already topic about S20 I decided to make new one as "old" topic is mainly (too much) about availability, delivery and other not really useful stuff related to usage.
    This one is solely about usage, features, problems & solutions of Sena S20.
    When asking questions, please state your S20 firmware as problem could be related to different versions of it.

Also, if you find any misbehavior in S20, its good idea to let Sena know by posting in its support forum (requires registration) http://goo.gl/nQmVzt

----

I'm long time Midland BT Next user. Bought S20 based solely on intercom voice quality - I was so impressed.
    Firmware version 1.1.

I have currently three issues. Has anyone found any solutions for those or can confirm the same happening to them?
    • Sound volume is too low even without foam earplugs at legal road speeds (~90 kmph). Limiter beeps are still very high volume but sound itself is too low to be understandable.
    • I'm not able to pair bluetooth two way radio (Tribe)
    • There are three VOX commands which I'm not able execute: "redial", "configuration" and "music".
    O.C. Mike and catweasel67 like this.
  2. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've asked this on the other thread, but apparently no one is using theirs for bike to bike communication.

I just want to know what kind of distance anyone is getting with clear line of site in a bike to bike situation??
  3. SinR1

SinR1 Evil

Oddometer:
    Firmware 1.1
    I just got mine last week. I haven't used mine for communication yet. But I do agree that the volume is lower on the new S20 compared to my SMH10.(I also wear ear plugs)

I also worry about the positive engagement of the unit on the headset. I have to push mine on pretty hard. I and I don't really get that "click" feel/sound to make sure that the unit is attached properly. Last thing I want is it flying off at 90mph, lol. But happy the pins of the SMH10 design are gone now.
  4. skew

skew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had one for a week. The only major issue I see is there needs to be a way to set the volume of the system voices and sounds.

1. The max volume tones will blow your ear drums I am afraid to turn it up and hit them. There needs to be a way to disable it or turn it down.

2.You start an intercom the set the volume to a comfortable level, hold the button to disconnect the intercom she says" intercom disconected " in the same volume as you set the intercom. Then hold the button to start the intercom again she will say intercom connect and beep as loud as it will go so loud it hurts but the intercom volume is the same level as you had set.

Edit: Some how I adjusted the system volume in the right menu I all of the voices are now lower than all of the other audio sources :)
  5. Shamone

Shamone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm finding the range poor. Lost site of the wife round a bend with a few trees and it disconnected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. CordovaRider

CordovaRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had any success getting audio multitasking working with the 20S and the SR10?

I've attempted to configure an iPhone 5 using mobile phone pairing and an SR10 using the "2nd mobile phone pairing" as laid out in section 5.5 of the version 1.1 user guide and have not had much luck. Everything pairs fine but any audio sent to the SR10 interrupts audio playing (pauses it) on the iPhone rather than being heard at the same time. It appears to me that the 20S is switching back and forth between the iPhone and the SR10.

A support ticket with SENA has gone unanswered so far...
  7. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tested it out. Its far from advertised 2 km. Best I could get was ~800 m, then static kicked in and at ~ 1 km there was no sound transferred (had connection still up but was not able to hear anything).

When it disconnects it does not get automatically back as described in manual - you have to do it "manually" (with voice command). In one case I had to restart my headset becuse it just gave "Connection failed" every time.
  8. Shamone

Shamone Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Mine is auto connecting fine. If you are on the latest firmware sounds like they are faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. klinquist

klinquist ├╝bergeek

Oddometer:

Are you running firmware 1.1?
  10. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  11. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, how does that compare to the SMH10?
  12. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    V1.1

I've noticed the volume levels are not so independent.
    Turn the FM radio up so I can hear it.
    Accidentally hit the wheel to open an intercom, when it fails... BAM hearing gone.

Just never seems consistent.
    Also set audio levels for bluetooth music on iPhone, hit the phone button for Siri, and cannot hear her. Maybe an iPhone problem?
  13. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The same here. Seems that whenever I lower phone volume Sena VOX volume gets too low.
  14. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    SMH10 claim 900 metres, in reality deliver 500, tops - so proportionately, the exaggerations are roughly comparable! :rofl
  15. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know! I won't sweat that one while I wait my turn on the RocketMoto wait list... :rofl
  16. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have some feedback soon, heading out tomorrow on a week-long ride with a brand new pair of S20s.
  17. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sena app on my iPhone just updated to v1.2. Description says: "Fixed Minor Bugs". Don't really see anything different in the app.

Hopefully the device Firmware will also be updated soon to fix a few more issues like...
    - FM Reception
    - Intercom Reception
    - Volume

-jw
  18. jlelliott44

jlelliott44 n00b

Oddometer:
    I tried three different set of ear bud speakers and all three were unusable due to static and other electronic noise. I have also had many of the problems noted by others. As a long time very satisfied user of the SMH10 I can say that I am very disappointed in Sena. Some of these issues are so consistent among the users that it is hard to imagine how they could have been missed in the Sena testing protocol.
  19. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Biggest thing for me is the speakers, although sound pretty good, are completely useless above about 70kmh for me. Especially as I have to wear moulded ear plugs to protect from wind noise. Even without I think the wind noise would drown them out in my arai xd4 and they would be a max volume which is way to loud to be good for you. Full volume when not moving would hurt my ears.
    So that meant for me to use them on my motorcycle, as apposed to sitting in my house, I would have to use in ear headphones with wires. So if I have to use wires and put them in my ears every time I might as well just plug those headphones directly into my GPS or phone.

I've already sold my sena 20s. I'll stick with my etymotics with moulded ear plugs. They have 35db noise reduction and the best sound you can realistically buy. Plus wired connection doesn't have static or anything.

I really can't see a solution to speakers in your helmet. The sena are plenty loud but the wind just drowns it out. So you need to isolate from the wind, which requires in ears. Which need wires. So then what's the point of Bluetooth. (Other than for intercom functions)
  20. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just saw there's a new firmware update, v1.1.1
    No idea what's all being corrected with this update. The only thing I see different is it cleared my FM presets.

-jw