Sena S20 experience

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by macintosh, Jul 14, 2014.

1. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll try that. Based on other people’s experience most of those issues end up on RMA but you are right, I’m opening a ticket now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Emoto likes this.
  2. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Mesh feature is good if you ride in big groups with more 30k users. Since it expands the intercom connecting distance ..

It’s funny how Sena created the 20s evo and got rid of the antenna from the 20s but now they have added the antenna in the 30k. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ArmyStrong likes this.
  3. Mossy87

Mossy87 Irish inside!

Oddometer:
    I came here for clarification and hopefully make a decision on whether or not to buy one.
    Now i'm twice as confused :loco
    Alot of money to risk and hope I don't get a lemon.
  4. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No risk really they are returnable in many cases.
    Mossy87, DaveCR and kenichi2014 like this.
  5. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had some issues with my 20S, but I bought it 'used' and no warranty.
    I have purchased the new 30K and it's awesome. I have not found any problems with it, sound is super clear, I love it.
    I've seen they are running at good prices, I did a lot of research on where to buy it :)

Good luck!
    Mossy87 and BruceWA like this.
  6. Mossy87

Mossy87 Irish inside!

Oddometer:
    Quick Question:
    If I had higher priority set as Intercom with lower priority music, ie. listening to music until somebody speaks.

Is there nuisance interruptions of the music based on ambient noises when riding, or does the noise cancelling software take care of this?
  7. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience is that music is good. If you are riding a tough trail and you/your riding partner are groaning or swearing then it will interrupt but general breathing and engine noise are usually ok.

On a separate note does anyone have issues maintaining good communication with other "lesser" Sena units? The GF has a 10r and the past couple weekends snowmobiling I have been no further than 25ft from her and I can hear her clear as day but she can't hear me at all. I have a feeling it is a cold/condensation issue but am curious is anyone else has had similar issues.
    Mossy87 likes this.
  8. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    I've not had any trouble with Music interruptions other than those coming from riding parter. Since my usual riding partner is my wife...I'll defer on make a "nuisance" comment :shog
    Mossy87 likes this.
  9. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was using a SMH10 and my friends the 20s, one of them often complained he couldn't hear me, but the rest could. I now use the 30K and sound is great with other 20S and SMH10. I would think those sounds gaps were happening to only one of the guys. Hope this helps.
    DSquared likes this.
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I wish you would just go away. #tiredoftheshill
  11. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Well, my "trusty" 20S, a 1507xxxx serial number unit (being the 3rd unit after the first two were swapped thru warranty) is finally having some major issues.

I lived with the battery charge light never turning blue, as that didn't seem to cause any real problems.

But now, the jog dial sticks when pressed. Sometimes it pops back up, but often it stays depressed. I can't give it any Lexapro for this condition, so what can I do? User serviceable? Of course, it's long out of warranty.

Howzabout Sena offer some discounts on head units only? I don't need to replace the clamp and don't need all of the doodads that come with a new kit.
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  12. konacyclist

konacyclist Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cycle Gear's March mailer is advertising Sena 20S units at great prices. I thought "Now I can replace my finicky Cardo G9 Power Set" but after wading through this incredible tale of woe I will just keep my G9 and deal with finicky. I think all of these devices can be tempermental at times. Thanks guys, you saved me $350 and a lot of grief!
  13. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently got a reminder about how to address some of the 20S's quirks. I did a firmware update and on my next ride the intercom function was acting funky -- unusually short range, static -- and then quit altogether. No amount of power off/on or button pushing would bring it back.

When I got home, I remembered that I had never done the recommended factory reset after the firmware update. Did the reset, paired everything from scratch, and all is good again.

-dan
  14. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I see that Sena has made available new version 2.0 of the firmware for the 20S and 20S Evo.

Not sure, though, that I want to be the guinea pig on this one. Has anyone updated and if so, can you share your experience?
  15. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just did the update but haven't had a chance to ride with it yet.
  16. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just tried the update and says "cannot connect to server" that is a first. It recognizes device and that is it. I have updated each time I charge since 2016
  17. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine works perfectly. No issues whatsoever.

I haven't updated since buying it last year, and I have no plans to ever update, so long as it keeps working.
    DaveCR likes this.
  18. deesee

deesee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also just did the update, but have not ridden or talked on the phone. I should be able to do that tomorrow, and will post an update.
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Same here. I don't update unless it is something that addresses a bug that affects my unit directly. Heck, this update is mostly for units that don't have audio multi-tasking ability, which the 20s already does.
    GravelRider likes this.
  20. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I just ran an update on mine last week, but don't recall the version number and am not at home where I can check. If 2.0 is what was available last week, then it works fine. I just did a 4-day ride and the unit worked normally all day each day. :shrug