Sena S20 experience

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by macintosh, Jul 14, 2014.

1. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:
    Firmware version 2.0 was released this week.

If you're still having issues downloading the firmware through the Sena Device Manager then you can download it directly from our website here https://www.sena.com/product/20S/downloads and install it manually. Click the drop down arrow, select v2.0, select a language for the voice prompts then click Download.

upload_2018-10-11_16-29-21.png

In the Sena Device Manager, click the Browse... button and select the firmware file and then click UPDATE at the bottom to install this firmware to your 20S.
    DaveCR likes this.
  2. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay thank you. That worked so is this the way I will need to update firmware from now going forward? Also can a guy remove download files for later versions from the computer or will that affect the device managers function?
  3. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once the firmware was applied you delete the file. Some people save previous fw versions in case the new one would present an issue but I think Sena has them on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again folks
  5. ajrider

ajrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I updated with the fading hope that being announced as a 'Major' firmware update might mean they have fixed the buggy popcorn issue. To tell the truth - if it had have bricked my units, I wouldn't have been too sad - it would have given me the excuse to justify spending cash and switching over to Cardo...

Unfortunately the firmware didn't fix the bugs. I just tried it home here in the living room and stick snap-crackle-pop, just like my childhood breakfast cereal. :-(

I'd say that unless you ride with 30K users that want to use the multi-tasking feature whilst paired with 20S users, there's no point. (In fact, I think that's probably all the firmware does - makes the 20S compliant with 30K users who wish to use audio mutitask whilst connected with 20S users). Although in saying that - it didn't seem to damage the unit either - so is 6 to one, half a dozen to the other whichever way you go.
  6. dr. jones

dr. jones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i've been using a Sena 20s for a couple years now and give it a solid B rating - not awesome, but certainly not horrible. the external mic is a great feature, as is the 3.5 jack for earphones. sound is decent, radio ok, and no issues with build quality (ymmv). and once you figure out the controls they work well - though i do have to re-read the manual every spring for the lesser-used functions. i rarely use the intercom, but when i do it's ok. range seems to depend a lot on terrain and what system the others are using.

that said, the Natural Voice Operation of the latest Cardos is very(!) tempting. that would simplify things tremendously, assuming it works and doesn't impact the battery life too much.

hoping Sena responds and adds that feature to their line up, though i suspect my 20s would not be upgradeable.
  7. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    What does that (natural voice) mean?
  8. dr. jones

Oddometer:
    it means that you can just say "hey siri" or whatever without pressing a button - the mic is always on. this is a big advantage over the Sena which requires you to tap a button before saying a command, either to sena or siri.
  9. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Are you sure? I am pretty sure that the 20S has a voice activated setting you can turn on in the device settings you can see when using the PC app.
  10. dr. jones

Oddometer:
    ok, i should clarify (from what i understand) - on the Sena 20s the voice activation is available after you press a button OR say "hello Sena". i've had very bad luck with getting it to understand "hello sena" so i've always resorted to pressing the bottom button (under the unit). once it is activated you can then say "fm radio" or any of the other Sena functions.

however, in order to access siri, you need to press the rear button and then say "hey siri" and that command. furthermore, that rear button is not available when in fm music mode. so in order to use it to make a siri call or other phone command, you need to quit out of fm music and then press the button to activate siri. again, that's my experience and i could be completely wrong.

the cardo is different in that you can simply say "hey siri" at any point and get straight to the phone commands.

i rarely use the intercom, but do use fm radio and siri quite a bit. so switching between the two is a bit of a hassle.
  11. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My jog dial is doing the same thing, sometimes I have to pull it out for it to work. I contacted sena about it and like you my warranty has expired so no help from them. I just purchased a new 20S Evo to replace it.
  12. rob

rob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I upgraded my 20s and now they aren't pairing with the phones. Did the firmware reset and still no joy. Any ideas from the madhouse?

Rob Lessen
    Arma KS
  13. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:

Please perform a Factory Reset on your 20S. While the 20S is powered on, press and hold the Phone Button for 12 seconds until the LED changes from flashing red and blue rapidly to becoming a solid red light. You will hear the voice prompt say “Factory reset”. Immediately, tap the Jog Dial once. You will hear the voice prompt say “Headset reset. Goodbye.” then the headset will automatically power off.
  14. rob

rob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done the Factory Reset and still no success. It was so easy the other times of updating!
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You know that is a setting right?

You can active it by blowing in the mic or making a racket. I use "OK GOOGLE" all of the time to wake it up and put on music or whatnot.
  16. dr. jones

Oddometer:
    believe me, i've tried many, many times. resets, firmware re-installs, settings on, settings off. i cannot get it to work on my 20s. i cannot activate he sena unit without pressing a button.
  17. MelissaToBeMe

MelissaToBeMe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trust me, the Sena Voice Command system is in the stone age when compared to the “Natural Voice Operation” from Cardo. Check it out:

18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Thanks for being so helpful in a discussion thread about the 20S.

We all know your distaste for Sena and its products. Why do you continue?
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

And the shill raises his ugly head.
  20. JB3

JB3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have used my Garmin for directions in the past, but I want to use my galaxy S5 & google maps for directions with my 20s. I can get the phone and 20s paired and play spotify music, but the directions play through the phone speaker rather than bluetooth into the 20s. Sena tech said to do a factory reset, but that did not help. Any suggestions on how to get "everything" on the phone to play on the 20s?