Sena S20 experience

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by macintosh, Jul 14, 2014.

1. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:

Like a lot of other modern rechargeable products, it is best to charge it when the battery is low which in this case is when the headset provides the "low battery" voice prompt while in use or when powering it on. When charging it, the charging LED will switch from red to blue to indicate that it's fully charged which will also flip a switch and cause the headset to stop accepting battery power. At that point is when you can unplug it from the charger.
  2. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    What about the battery life? What should we expect? And it would be nice to have a factory option to replace them rather than hacking into them and trying to wire in drone batteries and the like. We're not all sparkies or millionaires that can replace whole systems all the time.

I really like my 20S, have 2 helmets setup for it and want to keep running the sucker.
  3. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:
    It depends on how often the headset is used and how often the battery is charged. Our policy is that if there is a problem with the battery then we will replace the main module (or the entire headset if necessary) if the product is within our 2-year warranty period through our replacement service. We do not recommend replacing the battery yourself as that will reduce the water resistance on the product.
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  4. TheWhingnut

TheWhingnut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i purchased mine NOV 2015 (well outside the 2 yr warranty) right before i left in Jan on deployment it started not holding a charge. other than that I've enjoyed the unit. but i can't justify buying another one for almost the same price i paid for it 5 years ago. not sure if i want to upgrade considering the performance of the 30K isn't that much better. from riding with friends that have both units and talking to them the preference seems to be stick with the 20s or 20s evo. whats your take?
  5. monsterRS

monsterRS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my comment I stated that I have turned it off. On both units. After multiple software updates. THAT's why its so frustrating. Like I said, I think it's the mounts that are the issue, not the 20s'. We each have two helmets and each of those helmets have mounts, for a total of 4. Of those 4 mounts, two of them act that way when our S20's are mounted to them.

What I want to know is if anyone has had this problem before and what has been done about it. One of the bad mounts came with the dual kit when we bought the 20s. The other bad mount was purchased later independently.
  6. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 20s, then 30k then went back to the 20 series. For me, they suit my need better than the 30 series. But that being said I will probably guinea pig the 50 series.
  7. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you elaborate your reasoning a bit more, please?
  8. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought they sounded a bit cleaner and handled Bluetooth connections better. We don't use mesh, and since wife rides pillion we don't push the limited of the device either.
  9. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, I see. I'm still using the 20S since they normally just work, although we did have some issues lately, although that was with my wife's SRL2 in her Neotec 2, which is 20 series based. I'm using a standard 20S since I need in-use charging. One day my 20S will likey give up and then I hope that most bugs are worked through on the 50 series.
  10. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    What kind of problems are you having? We have 2 20s units and 2 sena srl's and for the life of us we can not get any combination of 20s to srl to work properly. Sena seems stumped too, i have a support case in but they have not been able to give me an answer.
  11. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the 20S doesn't get the mic from the SRL, my wife can hear me, but I cannot hear her. This happened twice now, a reset of both units solved this particular problem, but we haven't ridden much since this happened (it worked for a about two years or so before this happened just recently). Once the current virus situation is resolved, we'll have to try more.
  12. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Are you using the audio multitasking? That’s where the issue is with ours. The second source will cut in and out like crazy when the 20s and srl are connected. 20s to 20s is fine and srl to srl is fine.
  13. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a problem we don't have. Neither of us uses a second sound source when we are riding together.
  14. stageracer

stageracer To err is human, to forgive is not company policy

Oddometer:
    I can't get my Sena 20S to synch with my computer for a firmware update. I downloaded the installer, it gives me the prompts to plug in with unit off. I hit "next" and it doesn't recognize that the unit is plugged in via USB cable
  15. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Are you using the cable that came with the Sena?
  16. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    It happens to us every time so the point where we have to make a helmet choice based off what the other person is wearing. We both have GPS units on our bikes and when we have the 20s and srl connected the 20s freaks out, SRL works fine.
  17. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Are you running Mac OS Catalina? I have the same issue with my new mac and ended up having to use another machine with Mojave.
  18. Lansraad

Lansraad Refugee from the land of over-policed bitumen

Oddometer:
    Sent the unit for a holiday to Perth (where the Sena Australia facility is located).

Despite the impact of Covid-19 on work practices (people working from home, having to drive in and out to collect and/or drop-off tested or repaired items, etc.) I was very quickly contacted by the technical support staff and advised of what the next steps would be.

The communication from Sena (Australia) at all steps throughout the resolution of this issue was very good; clear, concise and timely. Phone calls and emails were always responded to promptly.

After testing the unit extensively the Sena technician managed to wake it up - a feat I had been unable to achieve.

We discussed this event, however I indicated my reluctance to accept the original unit back due to the primary issue (not powering up); but also due to the secondary issues which seemed to be indicative of deterioration of the battery.

Sena listened to my concerns and took them seriously. Today a received a brand new unit in exchange for my failed one.

Repair or exchange of a unit (within the warranty period) is at the discretion of the manufacturer and I was heartened to see that Sena stand behind their product in such a fashion by opting to provide a brand new unit to me.

It is good to know that level of support exists for an item that is an integral part of my riding experience!
  19. DaveCR

DaveCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been noticing erratic behavior on my Sena, two things are going on, one might be related to yours.

1. The mic seems to be failing. I have noticed that it will fix if I clean the contacts of the headset And the one in the clamp. Have you used it while raining lately?

2. It’s not working to call Siri, I would press the button as I normally do, but instead of a “beep” to call Siri, I’d get two. Like if I’m pressing the button twice, Siri would “stop” listening so I can’t give any command. Is this happening to anyone else?

I have a 30K and the latest iOS.

Ty!
  20. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have never used the Senas in the rain. I have started my riding while I was living in Germany, now I live in California. When it rains, we just wait for better weather. I have ridden enough hours and tens of thousands of miles in the rain, I just don't need it anymore ...
    DaveCR likes this.