Sena SMH10 sticky plastic case

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GS Addict, Apr 4, 2016.

1. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Posting for a friend.
    This unit is 4 years old. The rubberized portion of the case has softened and become very sticky.
    Note the fingerprints in picture below.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    Comment as to what may have caused this?
    Sena says no warranty.

IMG_3963.jpg IMG_3964.jpg
  2. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    My SMH-10 was used daily in rain or shine for over a year and nothing like this happened. It's still very hard plastic/rubber. It seems like the rubber came into contact with something that's screwed with its chemical composition causing some sort of rubber failure. For now, I'd cover it with a thin film of plastic to minimize damage.
  3. Gypped

Gypped Backyard Camper

Oddometer:
    That really does look like it got something on it. Acetone on plastic can cause that kind of issue - did someone try to clean it with nail polish remover or something, or was it sitting in the garage when someone sprayed some brake cleaner?

As long as the unit works, I'd go with the suggestion to just cover it with plastic film. You could probably plasti-dip it as well. And 4 years is slightly outside the warranty period, no suprise there.
  4. roger123

roger123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is exactly the same way. The only thing I can come up with is sunscreen.

I put sunscreen on my face, then every now and then rub or scratch my face with my glove, then touch the Sena to make a call, change the volume, etc.

Only thing I can think of..........I used it daily for several years now and it's been a sticky mess like that for quit some time.
  5. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I discovered that insect repellant with DEET will wreck plastic and rubber like that. My camping headlamp looks pretty much like that SMH-10.
    NJ Moto likes this.
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The same thing happens to many rubberized products. MSR warrantied a rain fly on one of my tents for the same thing. Got gooey after a while. My 4 year old Sena did the same thing and I've never used sunscreen or gotten any other thing on it besides my fingers which are usually clean. The unit stopped working so that was my excuse to get another from Amazon.
  7. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    welcome to programmed obsolescence...

where do you charge? next to the oven range while cooking? lol
  8. Yaktrain

Yaktrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mosquito repellent can do that, particularly high DEET content.
  9. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Odd. My 5 year old ones are still ok. I'm with others. Some chemical had to be used near it.
  10. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    I'd bet it is just plastic degradation from sun exposure, hey maybe the sunscreen would have helped?
  11. bobthomson

bobthomson n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm the owner of the Sena that is the subject of this thread. It has never seen sunscreen, deet, acetone, nail polish remover, or anything else! The only possibility is Lemon Pledge that I use to clean my visor - but I did a test with it, and nothing happened. Also note that the plastic is only affected at the top - underneath it's OK. My conclusion is that it's crap material, and has been broken down by UV exposure. This despite the fact that four 95% of its life, it's been in the dark on a shelf in my garage.

The best Sena could say was "we use good materials, must be your problem". Very disappointing I must say. No more Sena for me.
  12. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was subject to either heat or chemicals. It is not like they use a plastic that no one else uses. That material is used in thousands of applications with no problems. If it was the material's fault the whole thing would look the same. It is only one place that was in contact with a chemical or heat.
  13. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Like I said. Mine is 5 years old and certainly doesn't show what yours does. Since you mentioned using pledge, I have to wonder if that has something in it that reacted with it. Just because you tested it doesn't mean it didn't affect it. Could have been a slow process over a long period. Add in you used the pledge multiple times and there you go.
  14. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Senas are very old too. I use Pledge on my visor often. Nothing wrong with mine that I know of. I'll look closer later today. My wife's is treated exactly like mine. But as a passenger, hers seldom gets the Pledge treatment.

Edit: No problem with mine and years of Pledge on the shield.
  15. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Along with sunscreen and DEET, I suspect gasoline (ethanol) seems to have an effect. I'm carefull about fueling up with my gloves on as they will absorb the fumes / splash as I've experienced this effect on rubber products that have not been exposed to sunscreen. YMMV.
  16. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine did that as well. Sena replaced the plastics free of charge.
  17. Swigg

Swigg Electric Stapler Guy (ESG)

Oddometer:
    (Realizing this thread has aged a bit)
    I contacted Sena Customer Service online for the same issue and was told that they don't have replacement parts. What is your secret to success?
  18. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I've had basically the same issue with the plastic / vinyl interior of my '00 Corvette and my '05 TJ Wrangler. On the C5 iit was the covering over the steering wheel airbag, and other parts of the dash. I looked down and saw finger prints, it was sticky and I thought I had spilled something on it. I had never used Armor All or any other cleaner, the car only has 14000 miles and spends most of its life in a climate controlled garage. It has never sat out in the sun. The Corvette Forums recommend lightly rubbing it with Goo Gone, which I did and after awhile the outer layer of sticky material came off and the underneath surface looked normal. No longer sticky, it was very weird. Dash looks brand new now. That was 5 or more years ago. Dash still looks new.

Tried the same thing with the Jeep, or was mainly the trim above the glove box (over the airbag) and the thin strip at the top of the dash. It started to remove the sticky layer, but underneath wasn't dyed the same and the color was off. So I stopped trying to clean it up and just don't touch the sticky areas. Hard to keep clean though, because any towel leaves fiber residue when you try to wipe it.

I doubt OPs problem is due to any chemicals, etc., I suspect it has something to do with the plastics formulation in the Sena's. I have 2 SMH10's that are at least 5 years old, and they have not started to degrade at all.
  19. Captdan

Captdan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 3 that are sticky, one has never left the garage. Must be ozone
  20. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Agree. I have 2 SMH-10's, both are a little sticky. I only clean the helmet with warm water, never any chemicals. It's not an issue, and mine do not look quite as bad as the pictured unit in the OP.

On the other hand ....... maybe it's all the Pink Floyd music I listen to that is warping the plastic? :lol3