Sena SMH10 sticky plastic case

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GS Addict, Apr 4, 2016.

1. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe it was because it was something like two years ago when I did that.
  2. Reisen57

Reisen57 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had two SMH-10's that did that after about 4 years of daily use. My replacement hasn't done it yet. Never any chemicals anywhere near the units , though I suppose the garage may have some gas fumes. Since on both of mine, it's worse on the top, I suspect it's UV exposure that degrades the plastic Sena uses. A bit surprising, considering that 98% of my riding has been here in the Pacific NW.
  3. Toolferone

Toolferone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am having the same problem. Like the orginal author, nothing has gotten on this. It scratches with my nail. Has anyone tried any kind of solvent to try and remove it. Maybe a"Goo=Gone" type product?

[​IMG]
  4. JonnyThrice

JonnyThrice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got mine way back in 2011, and it's probably been sticky for the past 3-4 years. Never cleaned it with anything else other than a damp cloth. The plastic actually degraded so much, that the bottom tab just snapped off recently, rendering the device useless (unless I use a crapload of duct tape to hold it to my helmet!). Also I haven't been riding that much in the past few years, and my helmet is always stored in a cool, dry place.

I just sent an email to SENA to see what they can do, but judging by others in this thread, it seems like they wont do anything.

Sucks to see they wont stand by their product, as this seems to be a common problem.
  5. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    I had the exact same problem, solved it by buying something else. And I have the same issue with my fancy AGV ti-tec raw Kevlar helmet. I've worn this helmet less than 10 hours, the rest of the time it's been in a helmet bag. Called AGV who won't respond. Ofcourse, the helmet is now over 10 years old, so it's a moot point, but still disappointed.
  6. Kwhite415

Kwhite415 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 4 Sena's 3 are sticky. Took about 5 years. Shitty plastic
  7. NilesHenry

NilesHenry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have 4 Sena's and 2 are sticky. I called Sena and the rep. I spoke to said that they had heard about some of the units getting sticky but they didn't know why nor were they doing anything about it from a customer satisfaction standpoint. Aside from the gross feel, the units work fine.
  8. Huladog

Huladog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may want to try wiping off the gooey coating with denatured or solvent alcohol. Worked for me to clean up some plastic handles that got sticky over the years.

No loss and cheap to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    Crazy...I thought it was something stupid I did. Got my Sena out the other night after a year it's been in a box. Sticky crap all over it.
  10. ramblin66

ramblin66 HappyHappyJoyJoy

Oddometer:
    Anyone found a way to clean up this problem?
    My 10's work great, I'd rather not have to replace them... Both are annoyingly sticky.
  11. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 2 10s that are about 6 years old. They are both sticky, as well. They only got that way while stored attached to my helmet in a closet for a while.

I have had some other plastic item (can't remember what it was right now) that did the same thing. Also after being stored for a while. Again, in a (dfferent) closet inside my (previous) house.

I sure would like to find a way to restore the finish to a non-sticky state.
  12. Poweranger

Poweranger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just pulled my wifes helmet out of the closet after being stored for over a year in the helmet bag. Climate controlled garage. Never cleaned with any chemicals or anything. It seemed fine when we went for a ride and by the end of the day it was so sticky I had a hard time removing the unit from the base.
  13. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    FYI, I have two Sena SMH10...both are sticky, so, lets just put away the Bullshit excuses and speculation about why. The 'why' is cause Sena had (perhaps still has) horrible quality control. When I first bought the SMH10 Sena was an emerging company. They had a bunch of growing pains (products didn't do exactly what Sena said they would) non-compatibility issues, etc. As it turns out, it looks like Sena had no idea how to negotiate with the supplier of their plastic parts or check the quality of the plastic. I'm not trying to burn Sena, however, they really need to dial it in...Hire a new QC engineer auditor, and maybe start riding a motorcycle. There's just too many better choices out there. Take a look @ the Scala packtalk Slim.
  14. Wildbears

Wildbears Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have older Sena Cardo units.

Both got very sticky at the same time while charging in the garage.

We fixed both:

Covered with baking soda for ~ one week.

Rinsed with warm water and gently rubbed to remove baking soda.

Baking soda treatment repeated if still sticky.

After almost all or all stickiness gone, the surfaces were rubbed with one or two drops of Gunk Liquid Silicone Spray fluid.

Surfaces returned to like-new!
  15. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    mine too

But I don't really care they still work fine
  16. ramblin66

Oddometer:
    Will try! Thanks!
  17. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just tried on a buddies unit. Works brilliantly!
    Thanks for the tip!! :clap

SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  18. ramblin66

Oddometer:
    Hey... This works!!

2 days with a baking soda coating cleaned one unit up completely. The other is about 75% better, so I put it back under for a few more days.

Thanks!!
  19. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Mine got sticky. I rubbed it with Formula 409 to clean it, which also took off all the lettering. Who cares. The thing is 5-6 years old at least. Starting to have some sound issues, crackly sound once in a while. I don't care, I'm 69 years old and can't hear much anyway. I do need GPS guidance though, because I can get lost in my garage. The thing is paired with my pretty much obsolete Garmin 660, which doesn't even show live traffic or weather (or maybe it can but I don't know how).

If the SENA dies completely, I will get some other comm device and pair it with my ultra cool iPhone Megahuge-Screen phone in a super waterproof case, and really do some navigating with live traffic, weather and stuff.

In the motorcycle world, stuff doesn't last forever....
  20. Wildbears

Wildbears Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fix Sticky Sena Cardo Units PART II

Our Sena Cardo intercom units are well over a decade old but still perform flawlessly.

They became sticky during the past year and this was initially fixed by the method described below. Unfortunately they became sticky again after several months. A permanent fix is described below.

This type of coating is used with many types of electronic devices and, as with the Sena product, will eventually breakdown and become sticky. In fact, some of the knobs are our car radio have developed the same problem.

You can solve this problem by removing the sprayed-on coating. To do this, apply a liberal coat of a hand sanitizer gel on the sticky surfaces (units should be disconnected and powered off) and leave on overnight.

Then gently wipe off the coating with a soft terry cloth or microfiber rag the next day. Repeat as needed.

Note that there are rubber panels around the various buttons with the same texture and appearance as the coating. You'll be able to tell the difference with good lighting as the coating is wiped off.

BTW, We discovered several small, hairline cracks in the now exposed outer plastic cases. These were along the sides. I patched these with some JB Weld Steel Epoxy but I think careful use of superglue would also work. The epoxy was "massaged" into the cracks and the excess wiped off.

[​IMG]