Sena SMH10 vs 10S vs 20S vs Cardo?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CDN_Bacon, Jun 30, 2018.

1. CDN_Bacon

CDN_Bacon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, after a long break of several years I’m living in a place wished amazing roads and bought a new bike and am slowing replacing my decade old gear. One of things I dug out of the job is my old SMH10. I think it’s the first gen as it had the old single pin power connector. After finding an inmate with an old spare charge cable I then realized that the plastic bit that snaps onto the base module was busted off so short of super glueing it, it’s dead. So I’m going to replace it but see Sena now sells a half dozen different models. What does everyone recommend using?

I ride solo 80% of the time. 10% with a passenger and the other 10% with a friend who also uses a SMH10. Use ear plugs always. Main focus is music, then GPS directions and phone and of course communication with my passenger for that 10%.

Is the 10S with the extra bit over the 10? 20S (I like the small form factor). No interest in the 30k as I don’t ride in big enough groups to justify the cost. Have the speakers gotten any better since the old first gen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't talk to all the differences, I think the range is better on most. My first gen has the same tab missing. I've strapped mine on well enough to work (see pictures). If you are retiring yours I would pay shipping cost for it and the charging cord. Recently got my wife a helmet and have a headphone mount already. If she ends up riding more we will likely upgrade too. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  3. CDN_Bacon

Oddometer:
    How do you got that strapped on? Is your tab the top or bottom tab that’s gone?

Mine is the bottom tab that stabs in vertically.

4. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I have 2 SMH10’s, completely satisfied with them. A friend gave me a basically new Nexx helmet with the 20S bracket, so I bought a new 20S and used that bracket on my new Krios helmet. I think maybe the 20S intercom is better, the battery seems to be lasting better, but I did have an episode last fall coming back from NC in heavy rain and the 20S crapped out on me. I never had that happen with the 10’s. The 20 was fine after drying out, and in retrospect I probably could have just dried the contacts out and would have been good to go. But early AM, dark, heavy rain, I just tossed it in my tank bag, it’s been fine since. I like the way the phone and jog dial work better on the 20. I want to play around with the FM. The ambient button doesn’t work worth crap for me but maybe I’m doing something wrong. I don’t think you can go wrong, but if starting from scratch I’d do one of the newer units.
  5. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    And FWIW, my old 10’s last for 11+ hours. Occasionally I’ll make it all the way to NC (12 hrs) depending on how much I’m using the phone and intercom. Just listening to Pandora and Waze, they last all day. And if your worried, you can charge it in use, or plug it in if you stop for lunch.
  6. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same, bottom tab is gone. Top tab still good. The front of the strap holds in with the most pressure. Using elastic headbands and velcro. You need enough pressure to hold the pins into the connectors. I'm sure it is less water resistant but it seems to work so far. I just leave it mounted rather than removing to charge. If it ever flys off, I'll just wave goodbye...

7. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10s I think you could only have a max group of 2 people While SMH10 or SMH10r can have up to 4 people in a group at same time. 20s may be more people and longer range plus you can hear navigation while on intercom and smh10 can't.
  8. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. DavidR8

DavidR8 Wanna-be ADV rider

Oddometer:
    We have SMH10s and like them a lot. Only use to chat back and forth, occasionally music if I’m solo.

Best part is when we fuel up and she goes into the station and keeps talking to me, “do you want a snack?”
    People look at her like she’s nuts.

Only used for phone once and I was parked at the time.
    I’d buy them again.

10. CDN_Bacon

Oddometer:
  11. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the comparison sheet. Newer models do have "HD" speakers and greater ranges. Just went shopping for my wife's helmet. I'd still be interested in your old SMH10, if you do upgrade...//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b3bb78d9db09/sena_smh5_bluetooth_headset_dual_pack_wired_mic.pdf

12. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko

Oddometer:
    MY 3RD Sena 20S died after riding for a few minutes in the rain before I could remove it. Sena said it was out of warranty! Theu did suggest replacing the battery which I know it is good checking it with a volt meter and seeing the 4.0 volts and 4.2 when the charger was hooked to it. So I know its a circuit problem so for me no more Sena 20S and stuck with two mounts now.
  13. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whilst riding today, I went to adjust the volume on my 10s and it popped out of the cradle and went bouncing down the highway at 80.

Yep, it firmly clicked in place when I put it on. Never had that happen with the SMH10
  14. xADV

xADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone have info on the Cardos? There is a big disadvantage of the packtalk --having it clip in horizontally compared to the sena clipping in vertically. Would hate to lose my bluetooth communicator on the road.

Otherwise, only heard good things about the PackTalk.
  15. CDN_Bacon

Oddometer:
    Been hearing and reading great things about the new Packtalk Bold and Slim. Thinking to try those this go round

16. xADV

xADV n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been using a Scala Rider G9 (Cardo) for 3 years now, looking to upgrade. Most of my riding buddies use Sena unfortunately. Glad this post came along. Does your group mainly use Cardo?
  17. CDN_Bacon

Oddometer:
    I don’t have a group. Mostly solo touring or with a passenger. I think one of my buddies has a Sena. Just seeing how much better the speakers and mic noise canceling seem to be with the Cardo. Impressive.

18. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Same here. And I have to say I'm impressed with the PackTalk Slim from the things I've read and watched. My 8 year old SMH10 is getting a bit long in the tooth and while it has been very reliable. I'm kind of ready to upgrade and take advantage of the new apps and features.