sending BaseCamp routes to Nav V

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by PineyMountainRacing, Oct 9, 2020.

1. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I've created a couple routes in BC, the first one was SW Florida to mid Alabama, and it seems to show on my GPS exactly like I created it in Base Camp. 2nd route is AL to SW Colorado, and I'm sending it to my GPS the same way, but it looks like sections of the route are different.

I thought I had read most of the BC tutorials but obviously I've missed something?
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't help much, but I suggest you upload the GPX files here and someone might be able to have a look and see what's going on.
  3. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jamie, I pm OK on downloading “tracks” and installing them into the device (GPS). What I tried to do was create a “route” in BC, then send that to my GPS (Nav5). That’s where the created route (in BC) and what got sent to my Nav5 are a little different. Although I think I was able to correct the route In the gps so I should be good. If I have trouble I’ll just keep riding west until I run into those really tall granite obstacles, then I’ll know I’ve arrived :lol3
  4. GapRunr

GapRunr Well known Hermit

Oddometer:
    Do your Basecamp and GPS have the same version of maps? If they differ, the routes may not match even if all the same roads exist on both versions.
  5. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    i thought I imported the maps on my Nav5 into basecamp, or at least tried to do something like that. I’m on a trip now, but I seem to remember checking which maps were on each system, and I think they are the same. Originally BC didn’t have any detailed maps, is that right? I plan to play with it more when I get back home, thanks!
  6. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    And IIRC, the 'preferences' you have in BaseCamp should match the ones on the Nav. Otherwise, the unit will recalculate the route upon import to its preferences even if the maps are the same. Unless you have very specific preferences (that you set purposely) the differences should be minimal. This is often why the Nav will route you off a highway and parallel a town through dozens of red lights because its 'shorter'

This is why shaping points are so important, but in a long complicated route, leave them as waypoints if you can so you can navigate to them otherwise they are 'hidden' from the where-to function.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    thanks, it’s possible I have the preferences set different, I’ve never taken enough time to really learn the units. Seems like it’s work, work, work and then all of a sudden I’m leaving out in 24 hours for a trip, I was surprised I was even able to create anything and move it to the Garmin this time out. I’ll make myself sit down and spend some time trying to understand how they work.
    Patch likes this.