Seneca Rocks, WV

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by rob23, Jul 1, 2010.

1. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    heading down to Seneca Shadows Campground (site #19) for the weekend (7/1 - 7/5) with the fz1 and some friends on adventure bikes.

:freaky

I put together some DS routes, IntoTheNew contributed some data as well.. :evil

It's a great place to setup base camp and run some loops from. :deal

Please email me for the latest route: rideguide23 at gmail dot com
  2. Matt the Wanderer

Matt the Wanderer Supremely Not Lost

Oddometer:
    Last year I made a marathon trip through WV, alone, and after many great roads and memories ended up pitching camp in the dark at SR park. I awoke in the morning having NO idea what was there and seeing that majestic cliff-face from my tent window- what a wonderful shocker!
    My wife and I will be staying there a couple weeks from now and I look forward to showing her the area.
    Have fun on your trip, and watch out for those deer!
    :freaky
  3. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    well, there and back again.. had a great time as usual. I was on the fz1 so I rode mostly fast and twisty roads vs. dirt but I did manage to ride the 15+ mile dirt road down the back end of Spruce Knob.

I waypointed the roads I liked with blue flags, new file includes my tracks and some additional waypoints for campsites and car washes etc..

http://www.gpsroutebuilder.com/GPS/WV/Wv_Trip_2010_v5.gpx

I highly recommend going. I you're looking for a great fast way into Seneca I found the best route on my way up. 68 in MD > 495 > 219 > 32 > 33. Very fast, very fun, very twisty..

I also managed to take a very short hike (1.5 miles) to the top of Seneca Rocks. The trail up is easy but the views and climbing around the top is great.. I highly recommend it. Round trip hike takes about 2 hours if your in fair shape.

My friends 990 broke down in Greenridge, MD. Not a good place to break down on a holiday weekend. Closest KTM dealer was 80 miles southwest and there were no trucks or uhauls to be had for rent. So, he had to wait for a pickup. So, if you'd like to add to this file please include motorcycle dealerships.. just in case.. I added a Yamaha one I saw alonge the way near Elkins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. psalonis

psalonis Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey Rob, I checked out the file.... looks great! that's a lot of work!

Which routes / tracks do you recommend checking out that more more DS oriented/more dirty?

Trying to decide which direction I'm heading next weekend (Tioga, Seneca Rocks, Wharton?)
  5. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    You'll have no trouble finding plenty of dirt roads on the back side of Spruce Knob. I wish I had my ds bike to explore that area more. All the Dual Sport routes I created are named with "DR_" and "SR_" for Street Ride but I need to fix some of the SR's because they cover some dirt roads. Also, download the TWVT for some more dirty options. Dolly Sods is a must ride if you have a dirt worthy machine.

As far as Seneca vs. Wharton depends if you like Sand or Gravel.. :deal
  6. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride

Oddometer:
    link does not work for some reason....