Senior Moments in South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by z1rider, Dec 2, 2019 at 1:41 PM.

1. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings Fellow ADV Rider enthusiasts. You may be following mi amigo, Paul S's posting's here under the title "Go Motor Goes South" where I have been adding commentary from time to time. Now that we have arrived in Cartagena I have decided to start my own ride report rather than intrude on Paul's. We do have a different perspective on things at times.

The reason for my title is that we are old guys. I am 63 and Paul is, well, somewhat older than me. It is not for me to say how old he is, but I just want to assure you that Paul expects no special treatment for the number of birthdays he can count. It is nevertheless a factor in how we approach this epic journey. You may have noticed a bit of a dearth of photos on the other report. I will do my best to improve on that. The challenge there relates to the very old IPad I brought with me. It is incapable of airdrops from my phone, which is my primary photo taking device. I will try to keep my iPad handy for pics in the future. Another factor is the deadline we had with the Stahlratt. We were somewhat under the gun to get to Panama and taking photos suffered as a result. I hope I will be able to offer some useful and interesting content here. Feel free to critique my reporting as I want to make this a good read for all.
    pdwestman, inroads, Davidprej and 8 others like this.
  2. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cannot get enough of Colombia - will follow this. I just returned from there a couple of weeks ago and am planning my next trip there now - see my report entitled " A Month on a Motorcycle in Colombia".

Hope you take it slow and report a lot. You are in for a treat. I missed a lot last time -like Cartagena- please fill me in.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  3. Mari41

Mari41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  4. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following along and wishing you both a great ride.
  5. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Started reading your report today just prior to starting this thread. Yours will be very helpful over the next few weeks. Thank you.
  6. Quindio

Quindio Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lot's of Colombia ride reports now and I'm happy to follow along with them all. I'm leaving in 10 days back to Colombia and if your plans are visiting Salento let me know?

Cheers
  7. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    5F1D88D2-77B2-4EE7-B681-339FEC95E7E8.jpeg

Today was taken up with collection of the bikes at the pier in Cartagena. Not much to report. So I decided to introduce you to Dos and Wamuyu from Kenya. They have been traveling in South America for the past year on BMW’s. They are heading North and we crossed paths in Panama. I’ve asked them to post here as they are loaded with very good insights and suggestions. So Dos and Wamuyu, what are you waiting for?
    RedDogAlberta, wilfred and Dan Diego like this.
  8. 2004ret

2004ret Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While senior discounts start as early as age 55, "Senior" in today's western world starts at age 80 - keep that in mind and ride safe - will be following along!
    hound dogger likes this.
  9. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    F23AAF40-BB56-4FFD-B60A-841E6B5666E9.jpeg 80D33E66-C64B-44CD-B65D-1D4DA600B86E.jpeg The trip to Santa Marta from Cartagena was a good one, scary congested at times but otherwise unremarkable. Santa Marta was extremely congested trafficwise so we vamosed to Minca. Nice twisty road up to it. A real hippie kind of place. Stopped for lunch and to appreciate the relief from the heat provided by some altitude.
  10. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Btw. For those familiar with Columbia I have a question. The last 3 times I have used my credit card, when presented with the slip to sign I have been asked for “quota”. Neither Paul nor I can figure out what they are talking about. Any ideas?
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cuota is the fee or price to pay.....I am not a Spanish speaker but it may be their way of saying heres the fee or price. You would have passed toll booths in Mexico which said please prepare your cuota
    Just a guess on my part. Remember how to spell Colombia.:D
  12. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cal. Where we’re confused is they seem to be waiting for us to give them a response in order to conclude the transaction. Are they just trying to be polite?
  13. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    You will get that question (word is “cuotas”) all throughout South America. It refers to a payment option not relevant to a US issued card. Basically a person with a local bank issued card can say up front, at time of purchase, how many billing cycles (cuotas) they want to pay off the principle balance for that purchase, and local people in general do not realize that this type of payment option is not relevant or viable for your card. Just say “sin cuotas” (without cuotas) or press “1 cuota” if they hand you the card reader and ask you to select.

Jim
    Quindio, Champe and Cal like this.
  14. z1rider

z1rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    664969DA-B761-4349-B01D-5BE037F65F31.jpeg For a small town, Minca has lots of accommodations and places to eat. A good place to chill for awhile. The lazy cat had a good stir fry.
    Quindio and Champe like this.