SENIOR TRAVE INS FOR MOTO RIDER

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Oldgranolahead, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Oldgranolahead

Oldgranolahead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of looking at Medical/Travel Ins for a trip to Europe. I've used World Nomads on previous trips but now that I'm over 70 so World Nomads will not cover me. A lot of the regular travel ins companies exclude medical coverage for motorcycle accidents which is the most important coverage. Any tips from others who have been thru this maze.
    pceire32 likes this.
  2. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Europe, so you may have to ignore this.
    I'm in the same boat, being over 70, that is. For years I have used the insurance that I get with one of my bank accounts. I have until I'm 73, then I will have to pay extra.
    I already pay $150pa for the other "extras". The $75 for additional, unlimited use international health care*/travel insurance doesn't seem too bad, especially after i asked my regular broker to quote - around $300+

Maybe there is a US bank that offers a similar service.

* bearing in mind at least basic accident and health cover would be free at point of delivery here.

Best of luck
  3. Traveler1

Traveler1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been in the same boat for some years. I'm now 85. I've done a few things to lower the risk. I don't go off-road anymore and for the last two years I've avoided high accident countries such as Thailand and Vietnam where quality medical facilities are few and far between. That said, I feel comfortable riding in North America, Europe and Laos (although having second thoughts about this country as it gets more crowded with heavy trucks etc. from China coming down).

There is no valid reason for the American insurers withholding coverage for motorcycle riders going overseas. They have no statistics to base it on. One piece of advice - if you do find someone to cover you, make sure the final decision as to moving you to a better hospital (or country) is not completely in the hands of the local doctor. It's a bit hard for them to admit that either themselves or their country can't take care of someone, so you could be left in a crappy place just because of some guys ego or pride.
    dooby, pceire32 and tlwood99 like this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am 75 now and soon 76 by the time I plan to travel in the Balkans next year. I just did a quickie look via insuremytrip medical plans but no details such as when on a MC did I see or pursue. On past ride trips to Mexico I've done w/o medical coverage, same for summer Canadian fishing trips and other non-riding trips with my wife.
    I too, avoid the off pavement riding but given my joints are wearing down, I have more than casual curiosity about medical coverage so I don't burn away what little personal funds we have for my wife to live on if I have a foreign accident.
    I'm all ears if a senior rider finds coverage.:ear
    If not a local doc to decide if your injured and ship out for further care, who would that be? Home doc?
    I'm real sure it will not be my bank that covers me, as that's a new one for USA folks.
    pceire32 likes this.
  5. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Where do you live?

My medical coverage through Kaiser Permanente covers me where ever I go. (I'm 67, I suppose they might have an age limit but I don't think so.)

..............shu
  6. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have cover via one of my bank accounts until I'm 73. (also white goods for 5 years). I can extend that for £63 pa, which is much less than using my regular insurance company. Which is cheaper again than just phoning round.

The insurance company I have used for quite a while threw in cover for us until we were 70. That covers just the vehicle recovery/repatriation now.

Both require a list of pre existing conditions, I presume some will be no-no as far as they are concerned. My partner's sister has Parkinsons, and she has to pay A LOT.
  7. Traveler1

Traveler1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The thing to look for is your insurance company having the final say - in consultation between their doctor and the local doctor. This has worked well for me using Medjet (which I had to drop due to age restrictions). Another important consideration is having someone to act as the go-between if you are incapacitated to the point where you can't handle that sort of thing. If you are traveling with someone it makes it easy. If you are alone it can be more difficult. Another thing I ran into was the evacuation company not being able to land in a (Algeria) without paying a substantial bit of graft. This delayed landing and departure to the point where a buddy of mine died. In other words - no matter what you do, at home or abroad, shit can happen. To keep the costs of insurance within reason it's probably best to concentrate on getting something which covers real emergencies. Trip cancellation, lost luggage and whatnot aren't worth the added cost. Getting out alive is the goal. Here's a pretty good site which gives pointers: https://motorbikewriter.com/warning-motorcycle-travel-insurance/
    dooby likes this.
  8. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    If you are a USAA member, they have a pretty well-covered travel insurance program. It does include Air Medevac/Air Ambulance and repatriation
  9. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think I'll just wear a bracelet saying do not revive just euthanase
    pceire32 likes this.
  10. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    Check out Geo Blue. They've been good to me for the years since Medicare kicked in.
  12. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would recommend for the insurance and medical evacuation to look into the Garmin inReach service. I think the Global medical evacuation from anyplace in the world to your home or place of your choice for medical care transportation is $180 a year plus the cost of the inReach and service. But if I were going international travel, I'd get that option. Because I stay in North America, I don't buy it, I just get the basic recovery protection.