Sequoia National Forest report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by pcvance, Jun 15, 2012.

1. slogger

slogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Note to self. Don't ride the Puites the first day of dear hunting season.

Was up there yesterday. It was crawling with hunters. I've never seen so many cars cruising around.
    wrk2surf, Buster714 and theGrinch like this.
  2. SelfPropelledDevo

SelfPropelledDevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thinking of taking a few days on the GSA around Kernville.
    i have no idea of routes, etc.
    would you guys mind giving me some ideas/routes?

thanks
    loco4ridin likes this.
  3. JHNguyen89

JHNguyen89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still need to go through this thread but..

Currently looking at some property in Visalia, CA. Is this a good area to ride Moto? I'm currently in Sacramento and ride mostly foresthill or Georgetown.
  4. Bigshot

Bigshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is good dirt riding in the sierras to the north of Visalia but not much to the east. Whiskey Falls area for single track and Hume lake area for two track.
    loco4ridin likes this.
  5. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look around Oakhurst. The Sierra National Forest is good riding.
  6. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    has anyone ever rode Greenhorn mountain / Forest Road 24S50? It looks like a jeep trail on the USFS map ?
    starting at Junction of 24S82 at the southern End and ending up at Forest road 23S73
    loco4ridin likes this.
  7. loco4ridin

loco4ridin Bossmyword

Oddometer:
    I have, back in 2003 I did the team dual dogs sequoia scenic challenge, you need to get the sequoia national forest map. you can spend alot of precious time just guessing and hitting dead ends witch aint all that bad. tobias peak is a really neat place to visit. there is some killer single track up there good luck finding it tho, if you do youll prolly need a chain saw for the fallen trees blocking the trail. refrencing my map 73 and 82 dont connect but 50 is a dirt road, just keep an eye out for bambi. dont kill bambi.
    Stroked 550 likes this.
  8. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    oh wow that was some time ago, I have the paper map and will double check on the MVUM as well......... yeah I dont mind exploring and hitting dead ends you never know whats around the next corner unless you go find out....I will check out tabias peak and I have tracks for single track im excited to ride... it sounds like I need to bring a chainsaw with me thats interesting it doesnt showing connecting on your map, on caltopo it shows that it connects at 23S73 .... I definitely dont wanna hit bambi that would not be good for either of us
    loco4ridin likes this.
  9. loco4ridin

loco4ridin Bossmyword

Oddometer:
    well you can head down hwy 1 or the g14,16 route do something like 58, 166 east, and or 154 to santa barbara , ventura hit 33 north hit frazier park. next head towards Arvin, caliente, caliente creek rd, walker basin rd, to havilah, breckenridge rd kern river canyon rd up to the old kern canyon rd, or at the bottom come back up rancheria rd.go around the lake. 178 east to hwy 14 go north hwy 395 right after pearsonvill go left on j41 nine mile canyon rd to great western divide hwy thru the ponderosa190 down towards springville

now at this point if you were leaving santa barbara go to 150 ojai 33 to lockwood valley to frazier park i-5 north to 99 north to bakersfield. panama lane dennys breakfast and fuel. 99 n. to oildale exit, north to woody then glenville left towards jackranch road left to fountain springs. straight to porterville. right to springville.

Go left for a few miles then left on yokohl valley. right on hwy towards lake success, at lemon cove turn left go a half mile then right on dry creek up to 245 near badger to dunlap, join hwy turn left towards fresno. turn right by trimmer springs right by river. right after crossing bridge. follow along north shore of pine flat reservoir. left towards maxton right towards auberry, northfork, tollhouse. Bass Lake left to Oakhurst right on 49 to mariposa right to midpines. you can stay @ the yo bug.

you can do the passes, lake tenaya, visit hetch hetchy, mono hot springs, sonora pass, then back track and keep going south to baja ferry across to mainland come back up thru copper canyon just kidding. then north to the dalton to dead horse.

Also forgot to mention piute mtn rd to jawwbone, the greenhorn grill for lunch, and kelso valley rd.

sincerly
    loco
    Stroked 550 likes this.
  10. loco4ridin

loco4ridin Bossmyword

Oddometer:
    also good to try and do the buddy system thing, yup time flys. Damon Powell was the promoter. hes got some dam good single track routes. I been wanting to do ant canyon, to the rincon dead end. I started from the hot springs, came up lion ridge but didnt make it up to 73 due to heavy snow and no daylight. I started in terra bella and hit deer creek to the hot springs. enjoy your expeditions. your on the right track. look for the water slides up there and the seven teacups, you never know you might get lucky, also dont leave your bike alone it can get stolen.

p.s. also dont show up to the pow wow on the rez if your not invited, just sayin.

sincerly loco
    Stroked 550 likes this.
  11. loco4ridin

loco4ridin Bossmyword

Oddometer:
    yup, the orange county dualies used to have their annual bass lake 250 dual sport ride , out of oakhurst. theres some nice loops in that area, super scenic. I think its invite only now. to many locals hateing on all the ricky racers, with loud ass pipes, freaking killing the few baby bambis, aint shitin you.

sincerly
    loco
    Stroked 550 likes this.
  12. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Stewards of the Sierra National Forest hold what is essentially the old Bass Lake 250 Dual Sport ride. The event is held in July. You can check out their website for more details that should be published in a month or so. They also have a Facebook page that can keep you up to date on events throughout the year.
    loco4ridin, Stroked 550 and theGrinch like this.
  13. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing some places to check out that would be fun to explore... half the fun is getting lost in the woods... thats great to hear im on the right track.... when did you try to go up lion ridge? It seems like this winter has been pretty dismal so hopefully thats not an issue this summer.... that would be cool to check out

I didnt know people had issues getting their bikes stolen in those parts? thats a bit concerning

......... it would be great to have a buddy system but sometimes its hard to find people to take the time off to ride............ my goal is to start at Lake Isabella and ride north through all the national forests until I hit Tahoe and then I'll take a few days off to recuperate and then keep heading north until I hit the Oregon border then come back down the eastern sierras
    its a slow going process copying and pasting tracks and then cross referencing them with the corresponding MVUMs

haha I take it you showed up to the pow wow uninvited 1 time? :imaposer

Ill check out the The Stewards of the Sierra National Forest site that sounds like a fun event
    loco4ridin likes this.
  14. loco4ridin

loco4ridin Bossmyword

Oddometer:
    Its been about 7 years since i turned back on lion ridge due to darkness and icy snow covering the entire dirt road. If i remember it felt down right eerie. yup be carefull where you park your truck, live oak, tillie creek, woffard heights, there are tweakers in that neck of the woods.

Yup good for you that sounds like an awesome ride.

nah i just happened to be taking a break at the ponderosa and ran into some breed that were checking out my xr650r and they told me the rez is cool cept for the pow wow party. i think they are mellow but can be racisst towrds the white man.

I guess i feel more welcome on the rez than rodeo drive or at kkk parties.

yup the piutes to the south east, greenhorns to the west and 350 miles of wildernes to the north good stuff, so many places to explore so little time. you should also check out PORTUGESE/SUNDAY PK trails, loose,rocky single track. And erskine creek trail. I think alpine trails by the chaparrals offers miles and miles of single track.

what bike you ride?
  15. turn_one

turn_one Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checking Greenhorn/Piute (@junglemototours) and upper reaches of Sequoia NF conditions.
    Planning another March moto trip around beginning 3/10 for a week or so. Light snow year for us in WA, wondering what the hills are like down there. Hoping for a few days in the Piutes, then riding out of Wofford Heights and if time permits the likely drier stuff south of there.
    We’re making the call about 2 weeks before departure as to whether the destination is here or Green River UT, realizing that a last minute snow event can change everything. UT is the safe bet but I’ve been shut down 5 + times in the Kernville area so I’m really hoping to catch it good 1 year.
    Thanks for any input.
  16. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    Most of the dirt roads and trails are gated off and wont be opened till May probably. If we get snow like we used to July is not out of the question. One time in July we could not get to big meadow as the drifts wee 10-12 feet deep.
  17. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a stop in Keyesville as I head to the Noobs Rally (end of March). I miss the singletrack. Been too long.

What will be open? We'll have to wait & see. If snowy, maybe only a day in the canyon. But if not too snowy, maybe a day in each of those mtns! :-)

Catfish ...
  18. turn_one

turn_one Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Single track is the mission. Say, if the top of Cannell Trail, stuff in/around Portuguese Pass and the Greenhorn st is snow free then we’ll make the drive (20+hrs).
    Trying to figure out if the snowpack down there is light, average or heavy this year.
  19. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep a eye out here. http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcams/alta-sierra/
  20. SuperDave23

SuperDave23 Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer:
    Snow has been pretty good this year, about average from the numbers I've seen. A lot more than last year, but nothing like 2016/17. We'll see how February goes.