Sequoia National Forest report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by pcvance, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    Im doing some planning for a trip through the Sequoia NF this summer and wanted to get some insight from the well informed, the MVUM shows that 33E23 dead ends into the Kern River... Is that correct?
    caltopo shows that 33E23 connects to trail 33E22 and there are tracks on owlheadgps.com for 33E22 but they are separated from 33E23
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Screen shots would help
  3. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    here are the gps tracks

gps tracks .jpg
  4. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, the old Sacratone trail that connected Rattlesnake(33E22) to Rincon(33E23). That section was not a sustainable motorized trail. Old versions are shown on recent Garmin CityNavigator & Topo USA 2008 mapsets.

Its degraded to a hiking trail thru the Golden Trout Wilderness (yellow on your map) the last I heard.

Both Rincon & Rattlesnake are great out&backs if you like tech.

Catfish ...
    Stroked 550 likes this.
  5. Stroked 550

Stroked 550 Dirt Nut

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge about it thats unfortunate that its no longer a motorized trail...
    the plan is to ride 33E22 & 33E23 how crazy are they? Does anyone have pics?
  6. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @loco4ridin, I'm interested in one of your suggested routes above. I recently road from 395, 178 to 99 (Bakersfield) and loved the ride. For late Spring / early Summer I'd like to take your suggested route and a second one as follows: Via Hwy 395 (Pearsonville) / Nine Mile Canyon, J41 to Sherman Pass to Mountain 99 to Kernville back to 178 and 395. These are all Slab rides correct? How are the conditions and are there any fuel stops in between? Anything to watch out for? Thanks for the help.
  7. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slab is a bit of a generous description for Sherman Pass Rd ... it’s paved, maybe potholed, narrow and graveled, and look out for cows

Right now it looks a bit like this

C19598DC-3E0E-4696-AF0D-5214740396D1.jpeg

Gas in Kernville
    Chillis, loco4ridin, elcabong and 2 others like this.
  8. elcabong

Oddometer:
    Is that part of a roof top? Holy cow!

I read an article about the Trans-Sierra highway that some of these roads aren't really maintained.
  9. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Restroom roof top
    elcabong likes this.
  10. loco4ridin

loco4ridin Bossmyword

Oddometer:
    ya they are all slab rides, i lost you on mountain 99? when heading west on sherman pass you can take a right, north bound, on the great western divide hwy and get fuel at the ponderosa. Its a good idea to fuel up, before you head up tho. brekenridge rd by havilah is slab shoots you back down towards bakersfield to comanche hook it back up 178 and exit right onto kern canyon rd witch will shoot you back over towards isabella eastward to 178,395. if you like good mountain twisties with nice slab youll dig these. Caliente, caliente creek rd, walker basin rd. halfway house,to woody,glennville, posey, sugarloaf peak, fountain springs california hot springs, pine flat, just to name a few, youll be able to plan a few sweet loops. just get you a ca topo map book and connect the names to dots and you will be entertained for a little while.

yup like sopascat said, watch out for cows. nobody wants to end up at the med center.

try and treat us to a couple of pics when you do it aye.
    elcabong likes this.
  11. elcabong

Oddometer:
    Regarding "Mountain Highway 99", I was reviewing Google Maps and Sherman Pass Rd ends at a junction to Mountain Hwy 99 to continue west towards Johnsondale or south to Roads End.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'll be sure to post up photos when I go there.
    sopascat likes this.
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done that route in late summer. Loved it. All paved and back then the road was fine.

Tried again last year and it was a fail. Sherman Pass or Kennedy Meadows to 9 mile Canyon was closed for construction. If I was on an adventure bike during the ride I would have went through the construction but it was on a street only machine.

If the route is open it is a great ride.
    IMG_20160929_174600827_HDR.jpg
    loco4ridin and elcabong like this.
  13. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was out clearing Just Outstanding yesterday, lots of deadfall and very rutted from the rains. Nobody had been through all winter and I got shut down at 5500' with deep snow. It's going to be a long time before many trails are accessible.

Attached Files:

catfish, theGrinch and BrockEvan like this.