1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Sequoia National Forest report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by pcvance, Jun 15, 2012.

1. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    Yeah Rancheria had plenty of signs up but rode around them a week ago, probably lucky I didn't get caught.
  2. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Did the same over Memorial Weekend ... saw lots of other peeps on bikes as well as an old timer driving a huge front loader dragging tires over the road. He gave us a big smile and wave as we rode past.
  3. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    A local report for anyone that is considering coming to ride now that we're getting into cooler weather.
    The Sequoia Complex fire which is over 30,000 acres and going to burn for a while has Sherman pass rd closed and the entire area covered with choking smoke, at most altitudes depending on time of day and wind direction.
    Right before they closed Sherman pass rd last week I was camping near Big Meadows and had to leave before sunrise from not being able to breath, waking up in a panic after the winds changed. Visibility at the lake is less than one mile, it's everywhere.
    No Buenos.

Lake Isabella.

IMG_4353.JPG

On a more positive note I was able to squeeze in a short ride when the wind was right on kern canyon trail, the rest of the time I'm stuck inside.

Attached Files:

camello911, BrockEvan and dzrtracin like this.
  4. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
  5. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    @Lost Roadie - Thanks for the on the ground update. Was hoping to squeeze in one last trip around the Fish Creek area but seems unlikely.
  6. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up, Lost Roadie.
    Sadly that makes three campsites in California I reserved months ago that will need to be canceled for a trip I'm taking starting next week.
    The incessant fires in the west are saddening and are the new norm it seems. California is my home state and hate to see the devastation you all have to endure each year.
    Maybe I'll try for Big Sur in the early spring.:(
  7. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    I'm very pleased that passing along some local intel is helping fellow ADVrider, FF's. :beer

Our state is in flames, many of our go to happy place forests are inaccessible. It's sad times indeed.
    Do what you can personally to help change the direction we're all heading is all I can do.

Carry on and keep an eye on the SQC fire before you head up here.
  9. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/California-s-bullet-train-project-faces-15356051.php

The state "needs" another $4 billion to keep going on the high-speed rail project that will never do what it's intended to do.

$4,000,000,000. There are more important things that HSR, like dams, reservoirs, fire suppression, reliable gas & electric power, etc.
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  10. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    That's nice, but irrelevant in this thread and debates like that belong in the basement and not here. :deal
    I tamed down my comment you quoted to avoid a political debate on the future of California. Just passing along local info, trying to keep a positive attitude.
    nvklr, DSchmidt7of7 and dzrtracin like this.
  11. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    118914956_1195073127552291_3667002489419946994_o.jpg 118886928_1195073197552284_1352138493914691157_o.jpg

All SoCal NF's are now closed to the public, as far as I know this is unprecedented to have such wide ranging closures of public land.
    Chillis likes this.
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't see the mountains on the edge of town in Vegas right now due to the smoke. Sun is red directly overhead.

Not even sure which direction things are going.
    Lost Roadie likes this.